Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

First weeks at uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I hope to go to uni not next year but the year after, and was wondering how easy you found it to settle in in the first few weeks. Most importantly, i'm worried that it will be difficult to make new friends, since people might be really cliquey/unfriendly? Although everyone is in the same boat i suppose? How did everyone find it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I had quite a traumatic start mainly because I got quite ill when I first arrived but once that was over everything was fine.

There are people who I hung out with in the first week and have never spoken to again.
    Just be yourself and chat to lots of people, sign up for clubs etc. at freshers and you'll soon find people who you like.
  • Options
    Well I am not going to lie to you, I found it hard. I found ir difficult to fit in because people already had their cliques and lots of people already knew each other.

Signing up for clubs etc didn't help me either because by the time the meetings etc came about people had already made friends and weren't really looking to make any more.

The few mates I did have were on my course and we had agreed to walk to lectures and seminars together.

I now don't talk to anyone I went to uni with.

My advice is to pretend like you are the most sociable person in the world. Love everyone and everything, and don't go to Hatfield College at Durham Uni and you'll be fine. :)
  • Options
    When I first started uni i loved it i found myself a bit home sick but that was only to be expected as it was my first time away from home. Im now just about to finish my first year and even though its been really hard work every one that i have met (well most people) have been lovely as everyone but the locals are in the same boat.

My advice would be do it, go to uni and stick out the first year even if it seems to much like hard work at times,
    live in halls, they are brilliant places altjough a bit loud at times but u can usually choose wether you want to be in a quiet hall or a loud one (loud ones are nearer the pub)
  • Options
    As long as you make an effort to talk to people you should be fine :) As you say everyone is in the same boat and therefore you need not worry. Uni is different to high school and 6th form in my opinion cos everyone is here to get on with study and have a good time.

Heres a tip do not stay in your room go out meet people if they invite you to go out somewhere with them go :) dont hold back whatever the outcome and experience
  • Options
    Originally posted by Roberta Carlos

There are people who I hung out with in the first week and have never spoken to again.

My form tutor is always saying that, I think a lot of people find that even at colleges when they're 16, the first people you meet tend to be soon forgotten....
  • Options
    I'm really excited about the my first week at uni, but obviously really nervous too. My plan is just to talk to as many people as possible, too be as open-minded and non-judgemental as possible, but not make too much effort.

I'm gonna take fuck loads of alcohol with me too, so I can share it with my new flat mates because we all know alcohol bonds people. ;)

Well this is if I actually get into uni....
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    we all know alcohol bonds people. ;)

:yes: oh so true!! :D
  • Options
    everyone is a bit shy at first but you just have to make yourself talk to people. if you dont think that you can talk to people that you dont know then just try smiling and people will approch you. you wont be shy for long once ypu get to know people:D
  • Options
    I cant quite decide whether Im looking forward to it or not! I cant wait to meet new people and experince city life rather than the small town i live in at the moment.
    A few of my friends are planning on going to the same Uni as me, but even though one of them is my best friend, I'm trying to avoid being in the same halls building because i want to be made to activly make friends. I know if shes around i just wont. That sounds like i just want to stop being friends with her, which is totally untrue- I just want more opportunities. And she'll still be close at hand when I need her!
    On the other hand, I'm not the most confident of people ever in the company of new people, so I am quite worried about being surrounded by thousands of new people in totally unfamiliar suroundings.
    What doesnt kill us makes us stronger! ;)
  • Options
    Just out of interest, which universities are you all going/hoping to go to?
  • Options
    I'm hopefully going to Leeds Uni. Woooo.
  • Options
    hey guys - for all those of you who are nervous about starting university - try not to be (I know, easy for me to say ... but still)
    Think back to your school days - if you went through the same system I did then you'll have moved schools at about 11yrs old. Well that first week at 'big school' is pretty much what the first week at uni is like (without the bullies!) - you go round and introduce yourself, make friends with everyone then gradually find your own group of close friends.
    I found it felt like I'd announced my name, subject and home town about 1000 times on my first day!
    There will generally be some 'old-hands' i.e. second years, around to show you the ropes and help out however they can

Just don;t be afraid to ask questions and talk to people
  • Options
    well i'm starting a new uni in september, i'll be goin into third year n i'm nervous as hell. but as someone already said, everyone else is in the same boat so its not that bad. i think just the prospect of goin to a new place by yourself can seem really scary even to the most confident of people. i'm nervous coz i know that there'll already be little groups of friends n i'll have to try n tag along with them. :rolleyes: