Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

My Car Was Stolen 5 Mins Ago!!!

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,723 Bot
i awoke to hear the phone ringing about 10 minutes ago. it was my neighbour informing me that the family car had been stolen. this is the second time that it has been stolen. The ciminals had broken a hole into the DOUBLE GLAZING glass at the back door and got the keys from the place we keep them that is no more than 3 ft from were my bedroom is.
My house has been robbed so many times i have lost count.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fucking hell you're a heavy sleeper.

If your house has been robbed before it sounds like this could be the same person/persons who've already been in your house because they'd have to know what they were looking for to get your car keys. Where do you live?

But yeah, sucks to be you dude. All you can do is hope the boys in blue find your car. Or get bars on your windows. Or move.
  • Options
    bars of the windows that is not a half assed idea. the first thing i heard was the phone. i went to bed last night at 1.30 and got robbed at 3.30.

mostly the same people. the fucker got cut on the way in though so we have some of his blood. the police found the car before and i have complete trust in them that they wil find it again.:eek2:
  • Options
    Thats fucking scary!!! You should get like a mean guard dog that will rip the people to shreds anytime they come. You should totally set up it one night and like leave ur door open a little so they sneek in and totally beat the shit out of them. HEY THATS WHAT THEY GET FOR TRESPASSING, RIGHT??
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blnde_BombShell
    Thats fucking scary!!! You should get like a mean guard dog that will rip the people to shreds anytime they come. You should totally set up it one night and like leave ur door open a little so they sneek in and totally beat the shit out of them. HEY THATS WHAT THEY GET FOR TRESPASSING, RIGHT??

Then be amazed as he either gets the shit slapped out of him or worse, stabbed by a surprised intruder. Not a good idea.

I know a pub landlord who had the sweetest doberman you'd ever meet. One night his pub was broken into and the dog tried to protect his owner's property and bit off one of the intruder's fingers in the process. The intruder took the landlord to court and soon after the court ordered the dog to be put down.
    Such is the state of our judicial system :no:
  • Options
    Thats what i wud do...since i live in the us. but since i guess our judicial systems are totally different. i guess it wudnt work. but my aunt has actually done both of those, and she didnt have to go to court cuz the bastard was trespassing..
  • Options
    in the u.s the justice system sucks ass. people are always sued for beating up the intruder within their own property.
    i am fuckin sick of this shit. it isn't a bad neighbourhood either it is just some cunt that keeps coming round to steel our car. also it isn't like are car is anything special it is a toyta corola something or other, not a very pricey car on the market.
  • Options
    There's a case going on at the mo (well it might be over, I haven't paid attention to the news for a few days, been too busy) about a burgular who's taken a farmer to court because he shot him. It's caused an outcry over here because the thought of the people is that we should be allowed to defend ourselves in our own homes.

Strange thing is, the judges are people too who should face the same problems the people in their cases do so why do they make such inexplicable rulings? At the end of the day I suppose the Law is the Law, followed with Shylock-esc scrutiny.
  • Options
    Originally posted by 711fitzy
    also it isn't like are car is anything special it is a toyta corola something or other, not a very pricey car on the market.
    That's the whole point. A car like that is a lot harder to track down then say, a Lotus Elise because it's a common car. Makes it easier to sell, but if the punk is just going for a joyride the mind boggles:confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kurt
    I know a pub landlord who had the sweetest doberman you'd ever meet. One night his pub was broken into and the dog tried to protect his owner's property and bit off one of the intruder's fingers in the process. The intruder took the landlord to court and soon after the court ordered the dog to be put down.
    Such is the state of our judicial system :no:
    Oh, that sucks. That's just so wrong. I think criminals should be treated as if they've given up all their rights the moment they decide to break the law and commit a crime. :mad:

That reminds me of someone I know whose father had a doberman. She said I could pick up something I'd borrowed from her father's house, and when I went in his dog came charging in to the front room, stood right in front of me, and snarled and growled, at me, and I'm sure it would've gone for my throat if I'd moved. He called it off (though he had to call it off a second time before it paid attention), and it became one of the most friendly, and docile dogs I've come across. But it was a big dog, more like a horse with fangs!!! :eek:
    Some scum tried to break in to his house one night, through the kitchen window, and his dog, knowing there were intruders in the house, managed to break the panels in the door between the front room and the kitchen to get through at them!!!! Obviously the scum didn't hang around. :)

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    i think you should invest in a kill switch, a hidden one
  • Options
    Re: My Car Was Stolen 5 Mins Ago!!!
    i awoke to hear the phone ringing about 10 minutes ago. it was my neighbour informing me that the family car had been stolen. this is the second time that it has been stolen. The ciminals had broken a hole into the DOUBLE GLAZING glass at the back door and got the keys from the place we keep them that is no more than 3 ft from were my bedroom is.

Sorry to hear about your news.. however

There is a saying I heard many years ago - it goes something like this:

"Strike me once .. shame you .... strike me twice .. shame me"

Make any sense???

If you've been robbed so many times before what have you done to prevent it happening again or to catch the thieves?

Last week our neighbour told us some blokes were hanging around my dad's car at 3am looking like they were trying to break in. The next day I got my Dad to empty out anything in his car that was on show that is in the side pockets, etc that could look like it is valuable to help prevent people breaking into the car just to nick whatever they think is in the car.

In my own car the glove box is totally empty and when I leave the car parked I leave the the glove box open so any thief can plainly look in through the window and see there's sod all in the glove box to nick as well without even having to consider breaking the glass to find out.

We also installed a cheap but effective £30 camera from Argos connected to the TV/VCR so we can leave a tape recording what is going on outside and tape anyone that might be hanging around the front near out cars and installed a sensor light that comes on when someone approaches the front (about £15).

As soon as we had out first warning sign thieves might be trying to target us we did something about it and took a few steps to making the things we've worked hard to buy more secure.

If our house had been broken into just once - it would be a fortress by now, we already have good door locks, a porch door so there's two doors to break into if someone wanted to get in, strong windows, etc but if that happened to us we'd probably go the whole hog.

If your house has been broken into more times then you can count - maybe it's because you're making their job easy for them.
  • Options
    you are right, but it is not my decision on who puts the security on our house , that is up to my parent and the more we nag her about putting security the more she will steer away from it for some reason. that camera thing is a good idea i might look into it and the light also.
  • Options
    I think as diamond said, getting a cheap cctv system would be a good idea, it would see who is near ur house even when it isn't going to be robbed.

My uncle had a cctv system set up in his house because he ran a diesel selling business to most of the area he lived in,he was making some money but he got caught in the end, from his front room he was able to look to see who was coming in his drive and who was at the pumps getting diesel in their car,it was a neat system. Maybe one of them might suit you fitzy.
  • Options
    you are right, but it is not my decision on who puts the security on our house , that is up to my parent and the more we nag her about putting security the more she will steer away from it for some reason. that camera thing is a good idea i might look into it and the light also.

I assume your in a one parent family?
    Well I don't mean to sound sexiest but that kind of makes you one if not the only man of the house... If I waited for my parents to do something it would never get done. I went out and bought the camera and gave it to my Dad and said here - go fit to the wall and I'll hook it up to the house hold TV system - we can now see the driveway on every TV in the house and if I leave my PC on - over the internet too anywhere in the world.

You're flipping lucky this Burglar didn't murder you in your sleep and take everything in the house. How do you even sleep at night? If you've been robbed so many times?

Do you lock your door at night when you sleep?

What kind of house layout do you have? If you have an upstairs section and cannot afford to secure the whole house then perhaps you can create a barrier just for the upstairs to protect you and your family whilst you sleep? A door at the top of the stairs for instance.

Where do you live anyway? The UK or USA? Can't tell from your posting?

How come your neighbour knew you car was stolen before you did?

A security light is pretty cheap and a pretty effective way to warn most thieves off ... just one light helps tell them that this owner has taken steps to protect his property and there could be even protection in the house.

Also get a sign saying beware of the dog - you don't need to buy a real dog, but every little bit helps.

You can even get fake boxes that look like you have a house alarm fitted which may help - but better to get the real thing if you can afford it.

I just don't understand your parent's way of thinking - doesn't she care if you're all murdered in your sleep? Sound like you've been robbed many, many times?

Is it just you or other houses in your street being robbed? If so start a neighbourhood watch scheme.

One simple thing you can do is leave the TV on at night - then a burglar will think there's someone up watching late night TV. You can even buy a simply timer that will switch things like Tv and Radios on and off at certain times.

I have one that switches on a small lamp in our hall at night - although this is mainly so we can see when we go downstairs for something at night.

There's so many little things you can do to stop being a victim.
  • Options
    ...................eh yeah. do you work in the insurance business or something? i live in Ireland. i am going to get a camera and light for teh hose noww, i am off for summer in a matter of days so i will put it up then
  • Options
    ...................eh yeah. do you work in the insurance business or something? i live in Ireland. i am going to get a camera and light for teh hose noww, i am off for summer in a matter of days so i will put it up then

No I don't work for Insurance business, although my friend thinks I should be in the security business fitting security to houses - espacially web enabled cameras so people can view their homes via the internet whilst at work .. might consider it.

The things I've mentioned are nothing compared to what some people do to protect themselves .. one guy inthe USA who does security for the rich and famous has a house like fort Knox.

His bedroom door is sold steel, the walls and even the base of his bed are lined with Kevlar so his bed is both bullet proof and bomb proof under the matress so if a bomb was placed under his bed he'd have some protection.. his windows are bullet proof glass ... it was just crazy!! Cameras everywhere - I think about 20 in total.

The windows in the pentagon are super strong too and walls also in the process of being lined with kevlar - lucky the section the plane flew into was recently upgraded - each one of the new windows in the pentagon cost $10,000 per window.

For around £50 (Guess you use Euros) you can get a camera and probably two lights for front and back. I'd suggest hooking the camera to a video recorder and buying a 5 hour tape if you can find one and leaving it to record .. get a few tapes maybe 7 and mark them Monday to Sunday and rotate them - a potenital thief might not be caught on your tape on the day of the robbery but may have been there a few days before checking out the place.

However I did see something on BBC one where a couple was having their home attacked almost every single day because they are mixed race and people there don't like it .. they spent £6,000 on a camera system - but the police say they can't convict cos the pictures aren't clear enough to identify anyone's actual face.

Look into a tracking system for your car - cost a bit but should save you some money on the car insurance. May work out cheaper in the long run.

You can find plenty of tips on the web about all of this stuff - get surfing
  • Options
    :D sweet thanks for the pointers, i am goingo tget some of that bullet proof glass lol, but seriously the camera light thing is a really good idea, i ilve in northern ireland so i don't use euros just yet. thanks for the help i am going to set something up now, just what i am going to put up is the question.:chin:
  • Options
    Don't know if you have B&Q in N. Ireland but they do them as well and sometimes some good security stuff - I once bought an alarm there that also connects to your phoneline - so when it goes off you can programme the alarm to ring your office or mobile phone and play a recorded message letting you know your house alarm has been activated and then make you way home if you need to.

Ideally I want something similar for my car - so if it does get broken into you get a warning on your mobile phone.

We've had to think more about security after our cousin has come to live with us cos he's so damn absent minded!!

A few times he's left the back door unlocked - luckily there's an extension and a 2nd door so it hasn't been too bad - but the back garden is pretty secure.

Also if people are thinking of buying a VCR to record from a camera buy one that doesn't eject the tape when the tape finshes but instead rewinds it. I have an Aiwa that eject at the end and a Sanyo that rewinds.. the benefit of the Sanyo is you can program the VCr to say start recording from the camera one you go to sleep say 10pm to 8am and if the tape runs out it rewinds and records from the begining but then of course you might lose something important from the begining.

But I've found several free webcam software programs offf the net that can take the input from a TV card or webcam and record still images every second and even add time and date stamps to it.

and on my hard drive I could potentially take weeks worth of stills
  • Options
    you no alot about sercurity. i want a cam that activates when it senses a presence and makes the tape come on then so i don't have to constantly forward through useless shit over and over again. B+Q will be a good place for checking, thanks for mentioning it.
  • Options
    Re: Re: My Car Was Stolen 5 Mins Ago!!!
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    There is a saying I heard many years ago - it goes something like this:

"Strike me once .. shame you .... strike me twice .. shame me"

Completely unrelated, but reminded me of a Pink song where she says "Shame on you if you fooled me once, shame on me if you fooled me twice"
    Ok, i'll go back to my corner now... :rolleyes:

Sowwy to hear about your bad news... :(
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: My Car Was Stolen 5 Mins Ago!!!
    Originally posted by LadyT
    Completely unrelated, but reminded me of a Pink song where she says "Shame on you if you fooled me once, shame on me if you fooled me twice"
    Ok, i'll go back to my corner now... :rolleyes:

Sowwy to hear about your bad news... :(

Yeah .. cool .. I remember the saying I said as being an old Jewish saying . but I think it's so true .. if someone does something to you the first time it's not your fault ... but if it happens again then some of it is cos you didn't learn from the first time and let it happen again.
  • Options
    you no alot about sercurity. i want a cam that activates when it senses a presence and makes the tape come on then so i don't have to constantly forward through useless shit over and over again. B+Q will be a good place for checking, thanks for mentioning it.

Not sure if B&Q do anything like this - they do a system for multiple cameras and if it sense an intruder it instantly switch your TV to the camera picture via the scart lead - it might also turn your VCR - but you'd have to check.

Peronsally I'd like to hook the door handle up tothe national grid and give the burglar a shock!! but you'd probably have them suing you!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Re: My Car Was Stolen 5 Mins Ago!!!

So dude it's been several days now since you started this thread did you install the PIR light system?
  • Options
    I would have got them, have u got them yet fitzy?