Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Irish Users

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The Welsh did one a while ago so heres one for us. (to be honest I didnt read the "Welsh USers" thread so I've no idea what this one should be about, but erm....hi! Conas ata tu?

[/random]

Comments

• Options
    ta me ar bhain na muice, cad e mar ata ag eiri leat
  • Options
    sweet jesus. *sigh* i am irish , the irish language is dead get over it. no one has irish a a first language eny more. the only job you need it for is Irish teacher.

Fuck the Irish language!!!
  • Options
    I am from Ireland but dont speak Irish, did it for 3 years and forget really.

Never found it really that interetsing as most people can speak english anywhere you go but in a few years i will learn, increase my knowledge of the spanish language..could be handy in the future...very handy :chin:
  • Options
    i speak it when i'm drunk...not good. it doesn't help that my mates are doing irish in college so it's around me all the time.

um......tá ocras an domhain orm....i need food...*wanders off to fridge*
  • Options
    I am only 1/4 Irish and can not speak the Irish language because I never grew up around the language, but would really like to learn the language some day.
  • Options
    i'm 1/2 irish but don't speak irish. but omg hehehe! St. Patricks day Irish style rocks!! :D
  • Options
    I disagree with 711- because if your talking about true Irish people (ie: 100% Irish not 25 or 50 or any of those wannabes) you should still be able to speak level of the Irish language-

Its still a strong part of our culture and if you were in anywy patriotic you would know and understand- though you may not speak it you shoud still understand its importance and relevance. Even from a practicals sense- sin ceart!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Docter Lurve
    I disagree with 711- because if your talking about true Irish people (ie: 100% Irish not 25 or 50 or any of those wannabes) you should still be able to speak level of the Irish language-

Its still a strong part of our culture and if you were in anywy patriotic you would know and understand- though you may not speak it you shoud still understand its importance and relevance. Even from a practicals sense- sin ceart!

*sigh* people can't you see that because of England the true nature of Ireland is dead. it is not of our time, it is gone. fuckin GET OVER IT!!!. Irish language doesn't matter, who cares anymore.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Docter Lurve

Sorry to say, but just because I'm only 25% Irish doesn't mean shit that I'm a fucking Irish wannabe. For a fact that is in my blood line.
  • Options
    Originally posted by 711fitzy
    *sigh* people can't you see that because of England the true nature of Ireland is dead. it is not of our time, it is gone. fuckin GET OVER IT!!!. Irish language doesn't matter, who cares anymore.

*sigh* right back at you 711 because I know somebody, not really personally though, who is 100% Irish who still uses the Irish language a lot. So it is not "fucking dead" as you say.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MySuffice21
    Sorry to say, but just because I'm only 25% Irish doesn't mean shit that I'm a fucking Irish wannabe. For a fact that is in my blood line.

i agree. I mean, someone who moved to ireland and had NO irish blood but has lived there all their life and they belong to the irish culture, could be called irish. saying "how" irish someone is by their blood is kinda... rascist in one kind of way. not that you meant to be, but i remember hitler's SS having to trace back 6 generations of 'pure' german heritage. Let's not get bitty about these things.

I'm english and Irish, not necissarily because of my blood, but because although I embrace english culture I do have quite a lot of Irish culture (tho a bit old fashoined lol) in me, It's because my dad's family is all irish and we all live in the same area (moved to england about 1950) and we hang out loads and just talk irish, dance irish, and are basically irish through and through. hehe.
  • Options
    I do know a brave few people who still use Irish and sometimes a priest would say mass in Irish but nothing like in the past , the Irish language is still here but not being as used as much as in the past.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    i agree. I mean, someone who moved to ireland and had NO irish blood but has lived there all their life and they belong to the irish culture, could be called irish. saying "how" irish someone is by their blood is kinda... rascist in one kind of way. not that you meant to be, but i remember hitler's SS having to trace back 6 generations of 'pure' german heritage. Let's not get bitty about these things.

I'm english and Irish, not necissarily because of my blood, but because although I embrace english culture I do have quite a lot of Irish culture (tho a bit old fashoined lol) in me, It's because my dad's family is all irish and we all live in the same area (moved to england about 1950) and we hang out loads and just talk irish, dance irish, and are basically irish through and through. hehe.

Sorry, guess I was being a bit too harsh there. Well, along my blood line, I am 1/4 Irish, 1/4 English, 1/4 German, and 1/4 American. What a combination, huh? Not that I'm not putting down any culture, by any means, but just that I have a lot of different cultural backgrounds.

My father was part Irish and English and my mother was part German and Irish and of course American because I was born in America.
  • Options

If you don't care about Irish then that is your choice and you are well entitled to it. But for a lot of people it does mean something. why do you think so many people go to the Gaeltacht every year?? why do irish speaking areas exist if it is so trivial or if no one cares?? for the record i am opposed to it being a compulsary subject in secondary school. i don't think it should be rammed down anyones throat. but i feel insulted that someone will use it to express what is effectively anti-irish sentiment.

btw what do you mean by the true nature of Ireland? what is that exactly?? our identity?? our culture???

>Homer's Love Child< maith an fear chun an iarracht a dheanamh
    tu! mhaigh eo abu!
  • Options
    name ONE fucking person who has irish as a first language.
    then i will agree that the irish language is not dead. name one person who learned english in school after talking irish first.

i am 100% irish and i couldn't give 2 flying fucks about the language.
  • Options
    name ONE fucking person who has irish as a first language.
    then i will agree that the irish language is not dead. name one person who learned english in school after talking irish first.

i am 100% irish and i couldn't give 2 flying fucks about the language.

I can name one fucking person who speaks Irish who is 100% Irish and her name is Enya. She speaks and sings Irish and she also speaks English, but she still fucking uses the Irish language so fucking there.
  • Options
    My knowledge of Gaelic is just about limited to 'tiocfaidh ár lá' and 'Erin gó bragh' :p

And 711fitzy, grow up. Yeah, noone speaks Irish as a first language anymore, but it's part of Irish culture and heritage. Just because alot of history and tradition doesn't apply anymore doesn't mean we should just let it die and forget about it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    My knowledge of Gaelic is just about limited to 'tiocfaidh ár lá' and 'Erin gó bragh' :p

And 711fitzy, grow up. Yeah, noone speaks Irish as a first language anymore, but it's part of Irish culture and heritage. Just because alot of history and tradition doesn't apply anymore doesn't mean we should just let it die and forget about it.

I agree. Grow the fuck up 711. Like Kiezo said, just because not a lot of people speak the Irish language as a first language much anymore, but it is still part of the Irish culture and heritage.
  • Options
    Eek this thread has turned violent. Very Irish :D:D

*hands out guinness to calm people down*
  • Options
    for your information fitzy, in the areas of donegal,mayo,glaway and parts of cork, every child goes to an an irish skool, their parents speak it at the house, also, every childs parent has the choice to send them to 2 skools, one in english and 1 in irish, there are over 2,000 of these all irish skools, i admit that the language is dying but it is very very far from being dead.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    for your information fitzy, in the areas of donegal,mayo,glaway and parts of cork, every child goes to an an irish skool, their parents speak it at the house, also, every childs parent has the choice to send them to 2 skools, one in english and 1 in irish, there are over 2,000 of these all irish skools, i admit that the language is dying but it is very very far from being dead.

erm. dead thread m8 :p
  • Options
    Im Irish, only from my great gvrand parents on both sides though,

I can speak Irish though. brb. *gets the whisky*

Anyone with a drink in them can speak and understand Oirish.

"Moi Oiland"- Mad Irish guy from Braveheart
  • Options
    *bah* anyone who says that the irish landuage is dead can go live somewhere else, becasue of those people ireland is fast becoming a tourist trap where irish is a novelty and only cottages in the far reaches of cavan have irish speaking people in them(btw did anyone hear that leitrim got their first traffic lights, lol..).....,theres is irish people with gaeilge as a first landuage all over the country. Personaly i hated irish in school, because it was shoved down my neck for *counts* about 9 years, i hated it so much mainly because of the irish teachers that couldnt understand that some peopoe dont automaticly(sp) embrace the irish that is thought to them, Damn miss Ni Dhennidy:mad: , i just got by in the leaving cert witha C in pass irish...go me!! I think its disgracefull that you HAVE to learn it, shure anyone that hates and has to do it is hardly gonna get top marks in the leavin and go on to a teaching college? let the people who still find it amazing keep at it and be an irish teacher...

Wooo go us..why do i miss these threads then post when people stop talking in them ...:no: :eek2: