Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Trash or Trendy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay so i know i'm not 'normal'. I also don't think i am abnormal. okay i had a point................ah yes, trash or trendy. What do you think of alternative dressing. I spose i mean like goth and hippy and stuff like that.
I think it's cool personally and i guess i dress a bit 'gothic' - as in i wear black and my eye make-up is usually dark, but that is the extent of my gothness. I also wear lots of skate pants and that. OOh and sometimes i'm into the girlie look - without the bright colours. So i wouldn't class my dressing as alt.

i was just wondering what yall thought.

Do you guys get what i mean, i can't express what i'm thinking at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    I like it when people are individual and dress the way it suits them rather then wear what is supposed to be in fashion.

For instance one guy I knew bought these shoes which was really square at the toe area - he said to me "I don't really like these but I'm wearing them because they are in fashion"

Seems a dumb reason to wear them!

I also don't like strict dress codes - I used to work in an office where it was expected that you'd wear a suit and tie - but in reality that's the most unfortable thing to wear all day and wearing a tie would give me really bad neck ache. Now most of my favourite shirts are collarless.

I do think gothic can look quite hot - but the strong makeup is a bit of a turn off - but depends on the individual what suits one person looks wrong on someone else.
  • Options
    I think people should be encouraged to wear what they want.
    It will increase a persons sense of individulism and self -worth...

Wearing what the media and peer groups tell you decrease's a persons sense of individualism and sense of self worth....

So, in answer to your question : It depends on the motivation.
    (and as you can never know some-ones motivation it pays to respect peoples clothing descisions as their own.)
  • Options
    I don't discriminate against anyone for what they wear... I tend to buy clothes that I like, never mind whether they're alternative, trendy, etc...
  • Options
    Re: Trash or Trendy

I get what you means babes,.....

I don't tend to dress that way myself, but that don't mean to say that I don't like it.

I'm interested in gothic clothes, but mainly like th elacy black stuff, I find the sexy stuff nice you see maybe for a night out, but not to kean on the style that seems rather agressive look for myself.

Hippy clothes, they can be nice too, but I am so specific in what I like, it varies, as long as they are nicely fitting and the colours are too mad then it's cool,......

I think I stick to my jeans and tops and boring simple stuff bacause of:

1- being skint
    2- i'm too fussy
    3- you can mix and match easily
    4- you can wear them anywhere

i dunno., does that all make sense?

that was a good question?

:):D
  • Options
    hey amie, i keep starting emails to ya but never finish em, i'll write ya one in the morning, toodles
  • Options
    From a personal opinion, I think the whole Goth look is stupid.

However, people can dress however they like, and I'm sure as hell some people would judge the way I dress as stupid, and fair play to them.

Doesn't make them a bad person at all, just fashion victims, in my opinion anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    From a personal opinion, I think the whole Goth look is stupid.

However, people can dress however they like, and I'm sure as hell some people would judge the way I dress as stupid, and fair play to them.

Doesn't make them a bad person at all, just fashion victims, in my opinion anyway.

Agreed.

But Goths in my opinion, ain't got a clue. Who on earth decided jeans that can fit about 7 Mexican families in chic?! And the heavy make up with black lines going to their throat..please.

Speaking of fashion, I need to do me a wee article on just that..

ciao lovvies.. xx
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite

:lol: i was waiting for someone to say that.
  • Options
    I don't care what people wear so long as they like it and are comfortable with it. However, I think that it is silly if they wear it merely because it is in fashion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by fugue
    hey amie, i keep starting emails to ya but never finish em, i'll write ya one in the morning, toodles

Hey there hun,

I shall look forwards to hearing from you, hope you're all good!

x:) x
  • Options
    I tend to go for things that i like and suit me instead of whats in fashion , i like people wearing alternative clothing (on some people it looks abit odd) but it's good on people it suits! Everyone to their own i think!
  • Options
    I wear skirts and blouse's...Is that trahsy lol

Only joking!! :D
  • Options
    It doesnt really bother me what people wear. I just wear what i feel like.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TempleOfDreams
    I don't discriminate against anyone for what they wear.
    Yeah, but many "goths" are just attention seeking wanabes, who want to look different - by dressing the same as every other damn goth. :rolleyes: I think it's a stupid look, and rarely ever truly works.

Having said that, there was a girl I was chatting with in a coffee shop last year. She had long red hair and pale skin, and was wearing a close fitting long sleeved purple crushed velvet top, but had tight light denim jeans and trainers on. Her eyes were made up, but not so she looked like a feckin' panda, and enhanced her lovely blue eyes. She actually looked a hell of a lot like Willow from Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Mmmm! :naughty:
    Her freind was totally gothed up, and just looked like a silly little girl wanting to look like way as she thought it was cool. :rolleyes:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I just wear what i find clean *shrugs*

The goth thing i agree is silly. Tis why everyone takes the piss, their "alternative" look is well not very alternative is it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Her eyes were made up, but not so she looked like a feckin' panda

:lol:;)