Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Back Tattoos

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do people think about these back tattoos that seem so popular amongst girls?

When they first came out they were rare and therefore interesting to see - now when I go clubbing they are so common that if I see a girl with one it's more of a turn off because it just seems common now and nothing special.

I've also noticed when they first came out they were quite small but now the designs seem to be getting bigger and bigger - almost like a sign saying "NOTICE ME"

What is the appeal of getting a tattoo done there when it's hard for you to see it anyway unless you look in a mirror?

Having said that I want a part time job helping a tattoo artist cos girls are having things done in more and more intere sting places!!!:D

Comments

• Options
    when you say back tattoos, do you mean the ones done across the base of the spine? I quite like them, but when i got mine done, i delibriately decided not to get either of them there as it has got really common.

So now i have one done halfways up my back (under where my bra goes) to the left of my spine, and another on the back of my hip to the right of my spine :)

When i asked the tattoo bloke for the first one (the one halfway up my back), he was like, are yu sure?! apparently it's a really unusual place to get it done, which i'm glad of... but part of the reason is that it's really fucking painful! Half was on my kidney, the other half on my ribs - the two worst places to get them (over organs or bone).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sa-ra-ra-ra
    when you say back tattoos, do you mean the ones done across the base of the spine? I quite like them, but when i got mine done, i delibriately decided not to get either of them there as it has got really common.

Yeah along the base of the spin seems the most common now.
    I saw a girl in another forum say she wanted one badly - but only cos all her friends have one now and she was only 16.

When they first came out they were not too large and always in black ink.

That looked OK to me - but now they are getting larger and multicoloured which I don't think suits skin, espacially as the colour fades over time.

I've never seen the appeal of a tattoo - however having said that I burnt myself whilst cooking last week - the edge of the baking tray touched my left underside of my arm and has left a burn line in my arm- just on the surface of the skin - looks a lot like tattoo ink and guess what I kinda like it - weird??
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Yeah along the base of the spin seems the most common now.
    I saw a girl in another forum say she wanted one badly - but only cos all her friends have one now and she was only 16.

When they first came out they were not too large and always in black ink.

That looked OK to me - but now they are getting larger and multicoloured which I don't think suits skin, espacially as the colour fades over time.

I've never seen the appeal of a tattoo - however having said that I burnt myself whilst cooking last week - the edge of the baking tray touched my left underside of my arm and has left a burn line in my arm- just on the surface of the skin - looks a lot like tattoo ink and guess what I kinda like it - weird??

Mine are both fairly small, and i still like them, though i got my first one done when i was just 16, and my second when i was 17. The one next to my spine has colour in it, but is mainly black, and the other is a black outline. I want to get a phoenix done somewhere, but i'm waiting till i find (or get drawn) one i really like, and i want to give blood soon, so i need to wait till after i've done that. Plus i need to work out where i want it - not on my back, cos it'll be... crowded, i suppose. I'm lucky, cos some people's skin holds colour better than others, and i'm one of them as is my dad, so it should be ok :)

I know what you mean about the larger ones, i think i prefer little ones, more subtle.
  • Options
    I have no tattoos or piercings.
    As for you burning yourself Diamond, people do that its called branding and its fairly common among the hard core tattoo and piercing croud.
  • Options
    The only place I've considered getting a real tattoo done is under my big toe - so no one would see it unless I really wanted them to see it. .. maybe that sounds weird??

Don't you have to be 18 to get a Tattoo done?
  • Options
    Originally posted by angelic girl
    I have no tattoos or piercings.
    As for you burning yourself Diamond, people do that its called branding and its fairly common among the hard core tattoo and piercing croud.

Yeah, I'm a bad boy and I didn't even know it - shame it weren't a round baking tray might have looked more artsitic - anyway - it's fading, don't think I'd like it permently.
  • Options
    yes you do, although I don't think they're going to ask for id! (unless you look about 12!!)
  • Options
    Anyway branding just makes me think of cows:lol:
  • Options
    I like them. Provided they're not too big they look good. Colour isn't a good idea though as it always fades. Even black fades, but it's easier to have black touched up and re-inked in the future. A simple pattern is better than anything too intricate. At least those are my thoughts on them.

I suppose they are common place nowadays, but so are pierced navels, and I still find most of those attractive and sexy. The only thing is that in the future there's not much you can do about a tattoo, it's there for life (and removal still leaves marks).

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Oh, and while you're talking about branding, there's another extreme body modification that is sort of similar - scarification. Which is cutting the skin so that the scars leave marks, patterns, and designs on your skin. :eek:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by angelic girl
    yes you do, although I don't think they're going to ask for id! (unless you look about 12!!)

I don't think anyone should be allowed to have a tattoo before 18 - I think around 16 to 17 girls espacially are going through the "My friends have one so I want one" phase

And now there are alternatives like Henna Tattoos which last a month or two.

I just don't understand them in the sense - don't you get bored with a tattoo? No girl would wear the same fashion item day after day - let alone for the rest of her life.

Why are people so sure they'd have a tattoo done today and still want it a year or two from now?

I think as more girls get tattoos it's the ones that don't have them that become appealing - like boob jobs - it's the natural girls most guys I speak to want. They rather have them small and real then big and fake.

When we went ona friend's stag do - we went to Stringfellows - there was one single girl in the whole place that wore glasses - at first I thought why don't she just wear contact lenses - cos as the saying goes - men don't make passes at girls that wear glasses

But we watched her and she got more work and earned more money then all the other girls because her glasses made her different - guy were specifically saying - send over the girl with the glasses as she was the only one in the whole place to wear them.... smart girl I reckon she knew exactly what she was doing when they wore those things!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    i have no tattoos and i don't think i'll be getting one in the near future, but i do plan to get one, but only when i find something that i really love and want, so many of my friends just get whatever they feel like at the time, i know they'll regret it and i won't make the same mistake.
    I'm normally the first person to jump in and get this pierced or dye my hair like that but i draw the line at tats, because as we all know they are forever. - unless you get em lasered off ofcourse:p
  • Options
    i'm not keen on colour tats tho, i like em black
  • Options
    Tattoos can look great if I had one I would have it on my shoulder and it would be a colourful bird
  • Options
    Originally posted by jacaranda
    Tattoos can look great if I had one I would have it on my shoulder and it would be a colourful bird

Remember colour tattoos fade - my uncle had a panther tattoo - which looked good when new - but ove the last 20 years has faded a lot.

I think the hottest place for a girl to have a tattoo is on the ankle and I always think patterns look better then an actual picture.
  • Options

I think the hottest place for a girl to have a tattoo is on the ankle

pah, that is so common, it's like look at me, i've never had an original thought in my life,
    nah i don't mean it, it's just really commen is all

and I always think patterns look better then an actual picture.
    and I always think patterns look better then an actual picture

i def agree
  • Options
    Well I think they look common on girls. Imagine looking all pretty in your wedding dress or whatever and you have this manky drawing on you. Yuck, don't like :p

/Snob :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Are you saying a Tattoo on the Ankle says "Look At ME?"

I'd have thought he exact opposite - to me it says I wanted a Tattoo but being a sensible girl I decided to get it somewhere public but discreet.

I think the ones on the back with girls wearing tops that come to their belly button so you can see them say "Look at Me" much more.
  • Options
    around where i live ankle tats are soo common on chicks. They are to me, what back tats are to you.
    my mate shannon is a tattooist and he said it's amazing the amount of women getting them, especially girls 15-21
  • Options
    Originally posted by fugue
    around where i live ankle tats are soo common on chicks. They are to me, what back tats are to you.
    my mate shannon is a tattooist and he said it's amazing the amount of women getting them, especially girls 15-21

Does your friend actually do Tattoos on people under the age of 18?

I think back tattoos are getting too big, too colourful and too common. Do girls do it for themselves, for their friends or to attract men?

What will it look like when they age? - I assume ankles don't change too much as you age but the skin onthe back becomes fattier and loser?
  • Options
    does you friend actually do tattoos on people under 18

of course he does, as most do :confused:
  • Options
    I got one in the middle of my upper back, between my shoulder blades, its a trible simple pattern and it symbolizes my surname.

however my exs ex tattooed herself and crossed it out cos she spelt it wrong then wrote it the right way under!! it was her daughters name!!
  • Options
    I don't like tattoos and they certainly dont turn me on!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    Well I think they look common on girls.

I agree.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    I agree.
    I do unless its one nice one with taste in a good place, when people have roses or tats on there tits or arse or thigh it looks common.
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    I do unless its one nice one with taste in a good place, when people have roses or tats on there tits or arse or thigh it looks common.

I think any tattoo looks silly and common.
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    I got one in the middle of my upper back, between my shoulder blades, its a trible simple pattern and it symbolizes my surname.

however my exs ex tattooed herself and crossed it out cos she spelt it wrong then wrote it the right way under!! it was her daughters name!!

So Vicky does that mean when you get married you're keeping your surname?

And what do you mean she crossed it out? You mean she has two names on herself one with the incorrect and correct spelling of her daugthers name? That's like the saddest tattoo story I've ever heard - worse then getting your hubby's name and then breaking up with him!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    I think any tattoo looks silly and common.

yeah I know you do, you said
  • Options
    Im gettin one at the base of my spine...and im not common (much) :p It aint cos i think its cool to get it done there, its cos i wear lowish trousers and it'll be seen (which after all is the idea) Anywhere else it wouldnt get seen much.

Oh and my mate wants a devil on her tit...thats common!