Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Censorship.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just wondering how other people feel about the way the Middle East Crisis and tuesday's events have been reported? For example is it right that BBC's Question Time is facing discipline for allowing Anti American (please note that does not mean pro - terrorist) sentiment to be broadcast. Is it right that America's bombing of Southern Iraq just two days before tuesday's events - and the resulting deaths of eight civiliia ns - receieved almost no media coverage. Is it right that we've been shown pictures of celebrating Palistinians but most people have neglected to mention that approx a third of Afghanistan don't actualy know what's happened as they have no access to any media. What happened on tuesday sickens me but inciting blood lust and racism is not going to help the situation.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Totaly agree.
    is it right that BBC's Question Time is facing discipline for allowing Anti American (please note that does not mean pro - terrorist) sentiment to be broadcast.

Did you watch the show Kate? It was a circus. I have no problem with anti-American sentiment but QuestionTime is supposed to have different points of view. Almost all of the audience was anti-US. If they had a few more people on the other side of the coin then it woulda been fine. The entire show was just a bash America thing. Theres no way in gods green earth that even 50% of Britons feel as anti-American as those on that program. It did us as a country , a great dis-service.
    Is it right that America's bombing of Southern Iraq just two days before tuesday's events - and the resulting deaths of eight civiliia ns - receieved almost no media coverage.

Well considering we have been bombing them for close on 10 years now I dont think its a big story. Theres nothing special about us bombing Iraq so theres no reason this particular raid should receive media coverage when the thousands of others didnt.
    Is it right that we've been shown pictures of celebrating Palistinians but most people have neglected to mention that approx a third of Afghanistan don't actualy know what's happened as they have no access to any media

Are we talking about Palestinians or Afghans? I think the media coverage of celebrating 'generic arabs' is completely right. We need to know what people think. Theres no doubt that Palestinians were celebrating, hell even Muslims in London were celebrating. I suspect that its a lot more than 1/3 of Afghans who have no access to media. The media didnt mention anything about Afghans celebrating anyway so its a moot point.
    inciting blood lust and racism is not going to help the situation.

Youre right but the media has been doing it for years. They want headlines..They dont give a crap about reporting the news accurately and without bias. Theyve been propogating racism for years, this is no different.
    Originally posted by Balddog:
    Youre right but the media has been doing it for years. They want headlines..They dont give a crap about reporting the news accurately and without bias. Theyve been propogating racism for years, this is no different.

I think that media censorship in some areas is a good thing. The media should have no buisness reporting wars in other countries for example when our country is involved, because for the whole time the troops instead of thinking "gotta serve my country and kill bad guys" it is "what if a newspaper man sees me". The media should be censored.

I think that alot of stuff has been kept from the public...more than we think coz it seems that every day in the papers and stuff it just goes over and over the same things and when you are praying for a break through whether it be with Bush or the clean up operation etc nothing is being given away...i feel confused but that could be coz i'm blonde!!!
    Sorry that we can't share more information, but it would not be safe to share a lot of information. We are releasing all satistics on the death and ID of people found. We can't release damage reports of the Pentagon, what we know about our enemy or what exactly we are doing.

Rest assured we are well on our way to getting rid of these evil Muslims and everything they have against the west.

My sister is in Niger, Africa right now in the Peace Corps. I have to pray for her safety everynight and hope that she will be allowed to safely return home to the US. It wont be safe in any Muslim controlled area for anyone that is white.

It is sad that you don't see that this is a religious war and a ethnic war. Islam has had a jihad (holy war) delcared on the Judic-Christian people for 1300 years. Just because it has been cold for the most parts since the crusades, doesn't mean it hasn't been happening the whole time. Now it is hot again and we are again in a Crusade to save the West from the evils of Islam. I am not a ignorant bigot, I do know what I am talking about. I have studied the middle east for a few years and understand the mindset a little more that the average western person
    Ok the terrorists want to call a Jihad, lets call for a crusade, whats good for them......

[This message has been edited by peacechild (edited 18-09-2001).]