Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mobilise For Global Justice!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We call on concerned people from all over the world to come to Washington DC in September to protest and expose the illegitimacy of the institutions and officials who continue to claim the right to determine the course of the world economy. The International Monetary Fund and World Bank will hold their Joint Annual General Meetings in Washington DC from September 29-30 2001.

September 29-30, finance ministers and central bankers from 25 countries, as well as ministers from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank, and World Trade Organization (WTO) - a veritable Board of Directors of the global economy - are coming to Washington DC. These institutions "bail out" governments with debt and credit problems, but they only provide money to governments that agree to allow corporations free access to their countries' resources and labor. They fire government employees and slash programs in health and education. In the case of the biggest bail-outs (like South Korea), most of the money goes to foreign investors to restore their "confidence."

Most of the world's most impoverished countries have suffered under IMF/World Bank programs for two decades: they've seen debt levels rise, unemployment skyrocket, poverty increase, and environments devastated. Urged to export, they focus on cash crops like coffee instead of food for their own people, and allow foreign governments to build sweatshops - which also puts pressure on jobs in the US.

Visit the mobilise for global justice website

Comments

• Options
    Steelgate,

Youve simply copied and posted their front page..Do you even have ANY opinions of your own? Everything you spout comes off somebody elses website or Maos little red book. Please get some originality.

Very interesting to note that all those fighting against capitalism and the increasing globalisation of finance are all RICH enough to fly to Washington to protest.

Why dont you donate some of your money to the poor exploited farmers and workers of the people? Maybe you should try life without your trust funds and daddys money.
  • Options
    Balddog, I do have opinions of my own they are that I don't believe multinational corporations should be allowed to destroy the environment and use third world workers as slave labour. I also believe that all wars are wrong and would never fight in a war. The Gulf war of 1991 I think was one of the most sickening and pointless wars ever fought and was just as bad as the terrorist bombing on Tuesday, as are all wars, because the only reason for it was to protect the profits of the oil companies. During that war hundreds of thousands of people protested against that war both in Britain and in America. The slogan then was No Blood For Oil By the way during the bombing of Serbia even the far right came out against that war and put up stickers saying NATO = North Atlantic Terror Organisation. How true!

Most anti-capitalist protesters are workring class, it doesn't cost that much to fly to Washington and most of the protesters will be coming from cities close by not flying in from abroad. The fact that middle class people are involved in the anti-capitalist movement shows that anti-capitalist ideas have a wide appeal.

There will be a massive protest outside the Labour Party conference in Brighton on the 30th of September if people don't want to fly to Washington. Theres going to be tens of thousands there, to tell New Labour what we think of their policies on asylum seekers and their unethical arms selling policy and privatisation of services. There will be hungreds of coaches going to this event from all over Britain as well.

[This message has been edited by Steelgate (edited 15-09-2001).]
  • Options
    Steelgate, coming to Washington, D.C., right now to 'protest' anything would probably be ill received...not much houmor for such things in that town right now.

US can be a very dangerous place at times and this is one of those times...save yourself a ticket and come some other time, the mood here is murderous and any 'outsider' is going to get short shift and be treated as the enemey.

Don't take this as anything more than friendly advice...I am a warmonger who supports the right to protest, oppose 'no protest' zones, and distrust my government...a healthy thing for everyone. Having said that...keep in mind what I said above...take a vacation or do something nice for yourself...we live in very dangerous times and you may not get another opportunit.

Diesel

• Options
    Could Steelgate and his kind be considered terrorists?
  • Options
    In what way could they..... and indeed me, I think, be considered terrorists?
  • Options
    The people who took part in the the bombing of Iraq and Serbia were killing people, plain and simple, using bombs to destroy cities and killing tens of thousands of people that is terrorism. During the Gulf war Bagdad was carpet bombed killing nearly 200,000 people, during the war against Serbia Belgrade and other Serbian towns were bombed killing thousands and destroying the infrastucture of the country. All war is terrorism it causes massive loss of life and damage to property. The bombing of Serbia was to force it ti comply with the aims of NATO countries to allow free market capitalist expanison into eastern europe and to pave the way for a planned trans Balkan oil pipeline which Serbia had refused to allow to be built across its country. Check out www.antiwar.com

Diesel, tens of thousands of people will still be coming to Washington to demonstrate against the IMF. This terrorist action should not be allowed to stop anything. And you were right they did miss America they killed thousands of innocent civilians who had nothing to do with Americas middle east policy.
  • Options
    *yawns*

Steelgate you can post those comments in as many thread as you like but it won't make them any more legitimate.

I wish I could afford to fly to the US at ANY time, but I am just a downtrodden worker. And I getting REALLY pissed off that you claim to speak for me. IF you want to refer to 'the worker' uniting, please remember that you actually mean 'me and my mates' because MOST of the real workers don't agree with you. Thats why we don;t bother to protest.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Steelgate:
    The people who took part in the the bombing of Iraq and Serbia were killing people, plain and simple, using bombs to destroy cities and killing tens of thousands of people that is terrorism. During the Gulf war Bagdad was carpet bombed killing nearly 200,000 people, during the war against Serbia Belgrade and other Serbian towns were bombed killing thousands and destroying the infrastucture of the country. All war is terrorism it causes massive loss of life and damage to property. The bombing of Serbia was to force it ti comply with the aims of NATO countries to allow free market capitalist expanison into eastern europe and to pave the way for a planned trans Balkan oil pipeline which Serbia had refused to allow to be built across its country. Check out www.antiwar.com

Diesel, tens of thousands of people will still be coming to Washington to demonstrate against the IMF. This terrorist action should not be allowed to stop anything. And you were right they did miss America they killed thousands of innocent civilians who had nothing to do with Americas middle east policy.

Ahh yes, choosing to ignore our own media, sttelgate instead relies on the non biased rantings of the Iraqi state media to supply his figures. Keep supplying us with these rantings, they are highly amusing, but could you obtain your numbers from multiple sources and then send me the proof please.

• Options
    I know this board doesn't like pictures and such...really too bad, the can say so much more than words sometimes.

Sssssooooo...instead of posting the picture, here is the URL...btw, this is pretty much the sentiment of 99.999% of the folks in US...enjoy;

http://www.dynamic-autosports.com/misc/ladyliberty.jpg

There are times to 'protest' and there are times to cover your ass and pay attention to what is happening around you. Come for a visit if you must...geting here might be tough but it can be done...visit Seattle if you will and I'll give you a tour of the WTO protest sites...notably quiet on that front these days...but Washington, D.C., is the most dangerous city in US right now...going there is madness itself...heck, citizens don't go near the place if they can possibly avoid it.

Just US says it all!

Diesel

• Options
    Steelegate do you have a car? Does it run on Petrol or corn oil? Remeber if it runs on Petrol you are retarded. You say that all these things that the US and NATO do are so evil but you still use all these produces that we have fought to keep at a resonable price
  • Options
    Originally posted by BBH:
    Steelegate do you have a car? Does it run on Petrol or corn oil? Remeber if it runs on Petrol you are retarded. You say that all these things that the US and NATO do are so evil but you still use all these produces that we have fought to keep at a resonable price

The "protestors" and commies can only satisfy my need to call them twats when they can show me that they are able to live a comfortable life style but with none of the modern amenities and luxuries we rely on. Howabout it steel? I'll buy your PC of you for lets say....£3.50 which in your communist society would cover the cost of petrol getting to my house, and once you've done that go and live in a tent and eat beans. But not the heinz variety, you have to grow them yourself.

Or here is a crazy idea, how about you try and integrate yourself into society?

• Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere:
    The "protestors" and commies can only satisfy my need to call them twats when they can show me that they are able to live a comfortable life style but with none of the modern amenities and luxuries we rely on. Howabout it steel? I'll buy your PC of you for lets say....£3.50 which in your communist society would cover the cost of petrol getting to my house, and once you've done that go and live in a tent and eat beans. But not the heinz variety, you have to grow them yourself.

Or here is a crazy idea, how about you try and integrate yourself into society?

hah! very well said indeed!

• Options
    Steelgate, many of these impoverished countries are that way because the ruling party (read, Dictatorship) rip their own country off for billions of $$$, only their cronies get any help (hmmm sounds like tonies cronies).

So it's OK for islamic terrorists to kill Brits, Americans etc but not for us to kill them and the ethnic cleansers ? as always you have a one sided blinkered outlook.

The ONLY reason this world has the little stability it had was because the West were able to aid, help etc the underdogs.

You have the freedom to spout your shit as I have the freedom to spout my shit ONLY because people have been prepared to fight and die for your rights, something I doubt you would ever have the balls to do. And no throwing stones at police and MacDonalds does not count.

Rabidpeacedog