Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

is bt broadband worth it??

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,723 Bot
:confused: I have bt broadband is it worth the 27 pound that you have to pay, what is the fastest broadband connection that you can get.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: is bt broadband worth it??
    Originally posted by 711fitzy
    :confused: I have bt broadband is it worth the 30 puound that you have to pay, what is the fastest broadband connection that you can get.

BT R POO GO WITH PLUS NET
    there broadband is only £21 a month and ive never had a problem with it
  • Options
    If you already have it then shouldn't you be answering that question??

I use Pipex ADSL - exactly the same as BT - although I think better service and less hassle and pay £24 per month!!.

If you want to switch they have a recommend a friend scheme - I know if I recommended someone I'd get a month's free internet access not sure if you'd get the same though!!
  • Options
    wot is the highest bandwidth that is available from companys that offer broadband service?

bt seems to be the smallest bandwidth of the broadband company's.
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    We got it here.. well worth the money provided you use it to it's full potential.. :)
    (did someone say piracy?)
  • Options
    yeah its worth it for the quicker speed
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I use Pipex ADSL - exactly the same as BT - although I think better service and less hassle and pay £24 per month!!.

Ditto.

Only i did spend an hour on hold to them when i first got it installed :mad:
  • Options
    (did someone say piracy?)

Disgraceful,you shouldn't be doing such a thing,not like anyone else does it:rolleyes:
    is it worth the 30 puound that you have to pay

Its not £30 i dont think,about £27 and if its used properly it is worth it but sometimes i have my doubts.

Wonder if the speed of broadband will increase if more users sign up:chin:
  • Options
    we've got NTL Broadband and it seems pretty fast but then i don't know much about computers! We have it cheap coz its a package thing with the phone line and digital tv
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sa-ra-ra-ra
    Ditto.

Only i did spend an hour on hold to them when i first got it installed :mad:

That's nothing - I joined when they were doing that offer where if you join they pay the £60 connection fee to BT.

So many people joined during that time and my ADSL didn't work for the first 2 months - in the end I was the one that work out the problem - I found out that our local exchnage had Alacatel equipment (they are either Alcatel or Fujitsu for ADSL) and I'd bought a Fujitsu ADSL modem - anyway I found out through trial and error that there was a problem with Alcatel equipment in the exchanges that meant Fujtisu modems didn't work with them. It took me 5 modems to find one that worked with my exchange!!

I did write to Pipex and get two months refund back!

Although I reckon I spent at least another £10 just on hold over that period trying to contact their support line.
  • Options
    wot is the highest bandwidth that is available to broadband??!?!?!?:eek2:
  • Options
    I had loads of problems with NTL when i tried to connect.

First of all, they told me my computer had to be 10m from the box thing to connect it. The box thing is on the ground floor with the telly. My computer is on the third floor.

Then they said they were going to charge me to come out and even look at whether i could upgrade the phone line (that i don't have).

Then they said i had to have a phoneline and sent engineers out, even though i cancelled it, because they wouldn't let me cancel.

Then the engineers siad that someone had done a piss poor job of installing cable there anyways, and they couldn't put in a phone line (GOOD! I didn't want one anyways!)

And THEN... NTL decided that broadband wasn't avaliable in my area. I live in LONDON. Crazy fucking people. I HATE NTL so much, their customer service is fucking awful and they pass you round as noone has any idea of what they're doing.

So, yeah. I got Pipex. And it works fine.
  • Options
    IF you're thinking of getting ADSL or switch services do some research - there's a broadband website somewhere that has details on each company right down to how many lines they have and what their capacity is.

some of the very cheap companies have such limited capacity that I'm sure their customers experience slow down during peak times.

Pipex had loads and it said there are even more fat pipes on order!! ADSL is plenty fast enough for most people. I had satelitte internet before ADSL at times it was about 4 times quicker then ADSL but you had to schedule downloads and they'd give you a download time to catch the file you wanted - sometimes it could be 2 days before they sent you the file - ADSL is slower but much better in that sense.
  • Options
    Originally posted by 711fitzy
    wot is the highest bandwidth that is available to broadband??!?!?!?:eek2:

Seeing as noone seems to be answering your question, I will tell you that the highest generally available service over ADSL is around 2Meg/sec.

Obviously you can get as much bandwidth as you want, delivered directly to your house for your own exclusive use. You just have to pay for it, and the cable.

All of this information is quite easily available on the net.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    All of this information is quite easily available on the net.

As are most things.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    As are most things.

Yes.
  • Options
    I have just got B.T Broadband and its fine for me, but im only used to a shitty 56k aint I.

While im here I have stuffed my emails up, trying to get them sent from B.T to Open in Outlook Express. I keep getting a box up asking for password and when I press enter it wont connect. Is there anyway I can knock the password off just till I sort out what I should be doing?

Cheers in advance for any help :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I have just got B.T Broadband and its fine for me, but im only used to a shitty 56k aint I.

While im here I have stuffed my emails up, trying to get them sent from B.T to Open in Outlook Express. I keep getting a box up asking for password and when I press enter it wont connect. Is there anyway I can knock the password off just till I sort out what I should be doing?

Cheers in advance for any help :)

Would like to help but honestly I ain't got a clue what you're saying!! :p

Why don't you start from the begining and explain what was the situation, what is the current situation and what it is you're trying to achieve.

What are you trying to do get web based email to work in outlook express?? or move to a totally new email address?

As a tip I'd highly recommend people buy their own domain name - like a .co.uk type it costs about £6 for 2 years and when you change ISP's you get to keep your name!!
  • Options
    ive started a thread in the net forum, if you would take a look there.
    Thanx :)
  • Options
    www.v21.co.uk

19.99 a month - beat that!