Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

I'm gonna be a racing driver....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
....p'raps

Entered this a while back and found out recently that I have a driving assessment at Donington on the 30th june.

watch out schuhmacher!

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEOOOOoooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww


    Nice one. You need any cheerleaders :D
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well done,sounds good.
    Anyone ever driven a tank? You can buy a voucher for one in argos:naughty:
    Now that would be fun.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Shogun2002
    Well done,sounds good.
    Anyone ever driven a tank? You can buy a voucher for one in argos:naughty:
    Now that would be fun.

    We've got an activity centre near us that does tank driving. Loads of other stuff as well. The usual quads x 4x4 off-road stuff. Got hovercrafts as well. :D
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: I'm gonna be a racing driver....
    Originally posted by candy
    ....p'raps

    Entered this a while back and found out recently that I have a driving assessment at Donington on the 30th june.

    watch out schuhmacher!


    Well done, get lots of practise in onthe go kart circuit ...

    .. However on another note do you agree with a seperate class of racing for women?

    I think it's mad in one way. I can understand for instance why men and women don't compete head on in athletics, weight lifting, football, tennis, etc Because a key ingredient is strength and generally men are stronger then women with bigger muscles that would help make most professional males runners faster then the equivelent woman.

    But in motor racing it's the car that's doing the hard work and it's the skill of the person holding the steering wheel that ultimately counts??

    If anything the average women over the average man would be smaller and ligther and therefore have a better advantage over a heavier driver. In F1 they go to amazing length to reduce weight of the car.

    It seems to me the biggest barrier to entering the likes of F1 is money and an early start not gender.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Re: I'm gonna be a racing driver....
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    However on another note do you agree with a seperate class of racing for women?

    There is one main reason. If you had women racing in the same race when it came to pit-stops there is a strong possibility that women would get hurt whilst they are standing around yapping in the pit-lane whilst a man fills the car up with petrol, checks the oil and tyre pressure.

    Oh and they wouldn't be able to reverse it into the garage.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *crys* god if was just one year older

    well done candy.. live the dream.. woo yeah!

    and someday ill be racing ya!! hehe :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think that its a good initiative to get girls into racing....I agree its weird how it is a male dominated sport. I've always been interested in racing but never knew how to get into it properly, probably due to a lack of money like.


    For F1 however I think there is definitely a strength issue, sure its an advantage for girls being lighter, but you also have to be super-fit to withstand the G-Force on your neck n'stuff.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Re: Re: I'm gonna be a racing driver....
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster

    Oh and they wouldn't be able to reverse it into the garage.
    Actually i'm really worried about my assessment thing....i mean i'm fine going forward, but when it comes to reversing, i'm shite!

    they won't want me to do anything like that though....hopefully
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    We've got an activity centre near us that does tank driving. Loads of other stuff as well. The usual quads x 4x4 off-road stuff. Got hovercrafts as well. :D


    are you in ireland by any chance, where is the activity centre.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by candy
    i think that its a good initiative to get girls into racing....I agree its weird how it is a male dominated sport. I've always been interested in racing but never knew how to get into it properly, probably due to a lack of money like.


    For F1 however I think there is definitely a strength issue, sure its an advantage for girls being lighter, but you also have to be super-fit to withstand the G-Force on your neck n'stuff.

    Yeah I thought of that fitness issue, but fitness is all relative - a woman's neck doesn't need to be as straong as a man's cos her skull will probably weigh less - I think fitness is all relative to your general height, weight, etc.

    The cars are built almost like a hand made suit to fit the driver - so if a women needs ligther steerin gthey could build that into the design of the car and use up some of the weight advantage they have fom having a woman at the women who weighs less.

    I think money is the biggest barrier to F1 - most of these drivers started when they were kids in Karts and it's no accident that F1 and Indy Kart racing is often a family business with father teaching his son's to race - look at guys like Damon Hill and others who have followed their father's profession.

    I'm surprised there aren't more women in F1 as it is, it would be a huge marketing advantage over other teams and you'd open the door to a whole new line of sponsors - makeup and hair companies, etc.

    There are more women drivers in the USA in things like drag racing, etc.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by 711fitzy
    are you in ireland by any chance, where is the activity centre.

    Check out http://www.howieirvine.com

    It's about 20 miles outside Aberdeen
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

    I'm surprised there aren't more women in F1 as it is, it would be a huge marketing advantage over other teams and you'd open the door to a whole new line of sponsors - makeup and hair companies, etc.

    Watch out here I come! :D
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Re: Re: I'm gonna be a racing driver....
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    There is one main reason. If you had women racing in the same race when it came to pit-stops there is a strong possibility that women would get hurt whilst they are standing around yapping in the pit-lane whilst a man fills the car up with petrol, checks the oil and tyre pressure.

    Oh and they wouldn't be able to reverse it into the garage.

    :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by candy
    Watch out here I come! :D


    I'd really like to see a woman racing the guys in F1 - some people called for a sperate F1 for women but I think that would't be a good idea - it's hard enough trying to organise one F1 competition a year let alone two.

    Look forward to seeing you giving the F1 boys a run for their money.

    By the way didn't realise it was "you" cos of the new Icon - you look totally different to how I imagined!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We've got an activity centre near us that does tank driving. Loads of other stuff as well. The usual quads x 4x4 off-road stuff. Got hovercrafts as well.

    Sounds great,ill check out the website even though i dont live anywhere near Aberdeen.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

    By the way didn't realise it was "you" cos of the new Icon - you look totally different to how I imagined!

    oooh what did you imagine? :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by candy
    oooh what did you imagine? :p


    I imagined a girl that was a bit of a naugthy devil - but in your picture you look like an angel!!

    Do people thing you're all sweet and innocent when they first meet you?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I imagined a girl that was a bit of a naugthy devil - but in your picture you look like an angel!!

    Do people thing you're all sweet and innocent when they first meet you?

    why yes they do....hence the name candy, cos i'm sweet as sugar :D
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by candy
    why yes they do....hence the name candy, cos i'm sweet as sugar :D

    When I think of all those "IT Guy" stories I can't believe it's you now!!

    It just don't fit the mental image I had in my head!!

    Mind you it's like when I listen to the Radio and hear a DJ's voice - they sound a certain way onthe Radio and you imagine the face that goes with it and then you see them on TV and it's such a shock!!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by candy
    why yes they do....hence the name candy, cos i'm sweet as sugar :D

    Plus you give people sticky fingers :naughty:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    Plus you give people sticky fingers :naughty:

    :lol:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    mary-jane :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    congratulations:)
Sign In or Register to comment.