Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Smoke Detectors

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How many people have one and if so is it fully working with a battery fitted?

If you don't have one would you consider getting one? (it might just save your life on day)

Has one ever saved you from a fire?

As for me I've had one in the hall that has certainly gone off when I've left something on the fire in the kitchen and totally forgotten about it.

But I also had one go off at Uni on the day of my exam from an old electric room heater which seemed to give off fumes which I couldn't see but which the smoke detector could... annoying thing was that detector was connected to the firestation and we weren't supposed to have heaters in our room but the place was freezing in winter due to tight wads at the uni that removed our good heater that they installed in the first place (as they used too much electricity) and replaced them with some junk that also had a timer that stopped them being turned back on until you waited for a set period!!

Comments

• Options
    Yes I have a smoke detector and I wouldn't live without one (despite it going off everytime I burn my toast:mad: )
  • Options
    Yes there's fully working fire alarms wherever I am
  • Options
    all present and correct, oh the smoke alarms work as well

what is a bit freaky (esp. in the middle of the night) is when the batteries start to go, so they beep to warn you :eek2:
  • Options
    Mine went off one night for no reason that I could work out. I went into full panic mode (well you can`t afford to think it`s a false alarm can you, I mean, do you know how little time you have to get out of a house fire???)

Guess what. The ex and all the kids slept through it. :confused:
  • Options
    Anyone who hasnt got a smoke alarm they are on offer at Morrisons at the moment buy 1 get 1 free :D

and mine never go off through my cooking, must be because im a good cook :p
  • Options
  • Options
    i have one upstairs in my house in the hallway, it was near the kitchen but it kept going off, i get too distracted when i cook and yeah, theres normally a fair bit if smoke, specially if i'm woking
  • Options
    I got a couple at home. The one downstairs always goes off when cooking meat especially.

I haven't had to witness the full effect of a smoke alarm in a life endangering situation - hopefully I never will!
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    we have one in every room of the house practically. the one in the kitchen is always going off for no reason, but i'd much rather it was too sensitive than not sensitive enough. ours are extra loud because we live with 2 deaf girls *winces*

i think that they should be given out free to be honest, it's something that really annoys me - like having to pay VAT on sun protection.

I agree - every Budget day the government says they're going to increase duty and VAT on things like drinks, Petrol and ciggies to protect us and the environment and yet they do nothing to encourage the use of products that could save our live like smoke detectors and even same them a few quid by having less fire engine call outs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Yep, although I think it's in the wrong position.
    My mum has a hardwired system which doesn't need batteries.

I think a hardwired system with battery backup should be installed in every new home that is built.

Smoke Dectors are so cheap - everyone should have at least one in the halls of each floor of the house - I think I bought a pair from Argos a few weeks ago for £7 inc. the Batteries.

I'm going to give them to a friend as a house warming present!!

I think people should be givena small discount on their house insurance if they have them installed - even a £5 yearly discount is more then enough to pay for a detector.