Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Help me!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am volunteering at my local primary school one afternoon a week and this is my first day.

How do you talk to 7 year old kids? I am usually realy awkward around strange children although I am fine with my own relatives.

How are the children going to react to me?

Will they see me as an adult or an older child (I am 19)?

When I was 7 I thought anybody over the age of 14 was grown up but children these days see things differently.

Will they be respectful like I would have been or will they be rude?

What are 7 year olds like? :confused: :eek: :crazyeyes

Comments

• Options
    I reckon they'll see you as an adult, rather than an older child - I'm only 17 and when I babysit for children as old as 8 or 9, they still think I'm grown-up and ask things like 'are you married?', 'why do you still live with your mummy?' etc :lol:

Just be extra friendly and talkative, but try not to be too patronising - even at that tender age, they can still sense when you're saying 'isn't that lovely dear' when you actually mean 'fuck off, I want out of here!'

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll all be easier and friendlier than you think :)

What exactly are you going to be doing with them?
  • Options
    Just be yourself, talk to them, help them and you will be fine.

in my Daughters class she has people who help and they would be called Miss blah blah.

At 7 years old they will have been at school for some time so they will know how to behave in the classroom. One day i had to pick my Daughter up early from school and went along to the classroom and the silence in that room while they were working was unbeleivable. Because they are now in an older class they know the rules of the classroom, if you had been teaching reception class it may have been slightly different.

Show them a nice friendly smile, dont raise your voice, answer any questions they have and im sure you will be fine :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day

What exactly are you going to be doing with them?
    I wish I knew!

I wrote and asked if I could come in to help with things like ITC, reading, spelling - anything, but that I would be happy just to observe!

I don't really know what I will be doing.

Thanks for the help you two.
  • Options
    When i was um 15, my school did something where we had to go to primary schools and help them with their reading or something (it was that good, i dont even remember why :p)

They like you to listen to them and to ask questions. Children that age like to feel important. They're proud of what they are learning an what they know, so praise them when they do something well. They love things like that. Treat them like as equals not small children, they get pissed off quickly if they think your patronising them, oh and an try an show your having fun.

Probably more, but thats all i can remember!
  • Options
    Another thing to remember is children love to be praised, so when your reading with them saying " Lucy that was fantastic reading" or "your reading is brillant, well done" will give them a great ego boost :)

Mind you will be there now, hope all goes well :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Another thing to remember is children love to be praised, so when your reading with them saying " Lucy that was fantastic reading" or "your reading is brillant, well done" will give them a great ego boost :)

yeah i agree with that.... i used to work with kids ages 5-10ish... i found with the younger ones that you just have to be really patronising to them comaprend to with adults... hard at first but you get used to it!:)
  • Options
    I did a few weeks work experience at a primary school a couple of years ago. I also work twice a week in the afternoons at a local school so am used to kids! Some of them I find will respect you and be quite sweet, but you're always gonna get the problem children who are a bit obnoxious!
    I'm sure I remember being really quiet and shy at that age but some kids I've encountered are really rude. I guess you're always gonna get a mix.
    I found they were generally ok when reading to me or in class, but as soon as it's break or anything they go a bit crazy. Some of the 7-8yr old girls are really clingy as well.
    Be prepared for lots of questions though. I don't know if any of the children you'll be working with have any kind of learning disabilities but I do alot of work with autistic children which can be a lot more difficult than dealing with the other kids.
    Also bear in mind some kids at that age are really strange too! I'm sure you'll see what I mean! Can say some funny things though.
  • Options
    Well how did it go :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Well how did it go :p
    I have to say that Pink Soda's comment about them being clingy was spot on!
    There was one little girl who put up her hand and told the teacher "I know Miss Turnbull already" and I was thinking 'shit, I don't you know you liar' lol.
    She turned to me and said "you've just had a new fence put up. I know you" And yes, turns out she lives near me. She said she was going to come to my house this evening to show me where she lives. I nearly died. Despite glorious sunshine I have been hiding indoors all evening to avoid little Meghan Wilson, lol. :)

Apart from that, we had quiet reading, then we learnt all about electricity, then playtime, then another teacher came in and read them a story then they went home, after they all wanted me to walk them out to meet their mums and dads. I am going back on Tuesday, it was nice. :)

Primary school is so different from when I was there though, they all sit with bottles of water on their desks and they can go to the loo whenever they want, and the teacher tells them all about her private life!!
  • Options
    Glad you had fun :D
  • Options
    I know your first day is over now. But I thought I'd add my contribution anyway, for what it's worth. I don't have any younger siblings, don't know that many kids but have been volunteering for a few years on various projects. I was a bit nervous when starting about how to relate to the children, but found it surprisingly easy. They're only little people, if you get on with most people in life, there's no reason why you shouldn't get on with kids.

I'm only 20, but most the kids at the after school club call me "miss" which I really don't like, I always ask them to call me by my first name, makes me seem more like a friend than a "teacher" type.

You're always gonna get a few cheeky ones and you have to be careful, you can't exactly be cheeky back, I usually just say something like "I don't like to be talked to like that", normally trying hard not to laugh at the same time!

It will be good when you get to know individual kids, their natures and personalities.

Hope it keeps going well.
  • Options
    just talk to them normally
  • Options
    Originally posted by jacaranda
    just talk to them normally

thats a good idea that :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Don't use a baby voice...I once talked to my sisters boyfriends daughter on the phone and she said 'Why is Donna using that silly voice'...I felt very silly.

Try talking to them like they are your friends and you are interested in what they have to say. If you put on a silly high pitched baby voice they'll just think you are odd.

Oh - and don't underestimate their inteligence. If you ask them a silly question they'll give you a silly answer.