Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

it's the 21st century. is it time to kick em all out?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
popes. bishops. lords. kings queens and princesses. countesses.
dukes etc.
what fucking good are they in the modern world?

Comments

• Options
    Nothing, they're a part of heratidge, an identity. Plus they bring in a lot for the tourist industry.
  • Options
    I wants to be a Countessss!! Don't take it away.. :crying:

Although I do agree with you. It's old fashioned.
  • Options
    Re: it's the 21st century. is it time to kick em all out?
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    dukes etc.

Finally! In you Mr. Roll, I have found someone that shares my point of view! Ive told family etc for years, but nobody listens to me. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The Right Honourable Lord Ghost. It's got a good ring to it! ;)
  • Options
    Yeah, i want to be a lady when i'm older... only i want to be made one, not marry a lord, so that i can sit in the house of lords :D

And get tables in eating places. And stuff like that.
  • Options
    dukes etc.

Chuck em all in the sea :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Creeper
    Nothing, they're a part of heratidge, an identity. Plus they bring in a lot for the tourist industry.
    the spinning jenny is also part of heratidge but we got rid of it cos it didn't do it's job any longer. blackpool tower brings in the tourists but it doesn't sponge of anyone or speel out a pile of bullshit. if we got rid of the popes and bishops the tourists would increase as they would like to see the opulence he was surrounded by, open up the palaces where the bishops live in splendour and obsenity while half the world goes hungry. i'm sure jesus would agree. open up the royal households etc so we could see just how much they have been taking the piss.
  • Options
    Keep them but make them pay for themselves! And no tax breaks!
  • Options
    Originally posted by angelic girl
    Keep them but make them pay for themselves! And no tax breaks!
    yes but keep them for what?
  • Options
    yes but keep them for what?
    In case the modern world fails and falls apart, then we can breed them for food! :yum:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    they are only of importance through tradition
  • Options
    Id keep Kings,Queens, Princes and Princesses, but the rest...........nah let em all go.
  • Options
    You cant really say get rid of the pope or Bishops as they are part of a religion and a very powerful religion (the Vatican has its own secret service).

AS for the rest of em hell yeah throw em out on the streets and make em live like us although the queen does bring a lot of Tourists
  • Options
    Originally posted by jacaranda
    they are only of importance through tradition
    that sentence doesn't realy mean much to me my dear. lots of things come and go. there is no point in holding on to things that no longer have meaning. serve no purpose. have no place in a modern democracy. you cannot have a real democracy at the same time as having none elected, silver spoons making decisions. and how long can the bishops who, every single one of them lives in a palace, in luxury, with servants and obscene luxury, carry on conning some of you that they represent christ?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by angelic girl
    Keep them but make them pay for themselves!

The Queen and Pince's pay for themselves - in the amount of revenue from the tourism they bring in. They also have the power to do a lot of charity work and projects kike the Prince's trust are excellent.

As BeckBoo said ...the rest can go!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    so you can be born a tourist attraction! the french got rid of their royals ...did tourism collapse? oh right we're only keeping our living tourist attractions cos it rains a lot here!
    the germans got rid of their royals by fucking dumping them on us.
    come on we live in the 21st century ...the fast lane. the whole thing is a joke, a piss take.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Gavman
    You cant really say get rid of the pope or Bishops as they are part of a religion and a very powerful religion (the Vatican has its own secret service).

I can......I just did :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Creeper
    My feelings exactly. They're a part of our country and a symbol of our identity - you'd be surprised how much some other countries are jealous of our monarchy and how much they like our queen!
  • Options
    what do you call 100 Lords in the sea?

A good start
  • Options
    dukes etc.

It's part of our culture which we have had for years. Why fix it if it ian't broken.
  • Options
    No! Bring back the peers, I think they were fantastic.

The only reason they were removed was that they didnt like voting for Tony Blair, so he picked some people who would and put them there insted.

The heriditary peers were just a bunch of grumpy old men who were really concervative (note the small c), this ment that they made the government justify every new law that it want to pass. This is exactly what the second chamber is for!
    Tony Blair is keen on expanding the governments powers into vritualy every area of public and private life, he really believes in 'The Third Way' and its scary stuff.

The Lords is NO more democratic than it used to be, less so in fact because there's now loads of Blairs mates in there now and they vote for him.
  • Options
    so who would become our head of state, an elected president. we'd just end uop with another tony blair monkey. or even worse Thatcher or a similar clone. The system is far from perfect and the growing cult of prince William is annoying but until you can think of a viable alternative don't spout such ill considered crap.

Opposing is easy, having something better is much more difficult.
  • Options
    dukes etc.

Do you mean hereditary peers or life peers?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    The Right Honourable Lord Ghost. It's got a good ring to it! ;)

trust you

princess pie tho.. really does work :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    The Queen and Pince's pay for themselves - in the amount of revenue from the tourism they bring in. They also have the power to do a lot of charity work and projects kike the Prince's trust are excellent.

As BeckBoo said ...the rest can go!

No they don't, that is a myth.

People would come here for tourism anyway, they do not come because of the monarchy, they do not get to see or experience the monarchy, they come to see buildings and artefacts..........

Perfectday: people may like our Queen, but they don't have to pay for her do they?

Mrkeit: Why would an elected President be a Blairt clone or a thathcer and what would be so bad about that when thye were legitimatel elected.

An elected President wouldn't do anything and would cost a lot less, easy...........

Bongbudda, the old peers wree Conservative with a big c as well as a small c, the two cannot be entirely seperated. Look at the history of the all the prtogressive reform they have tried to block, that is why their powers were curatailed in the first place.....

M.Roll, you are entirely right...........
  • Options
    dukes etc.

the queen brings in far more money than she earns and she does us loads where money and tourism is concerend but the rest of em, the earls and prices and cess's and dutchess and all them stoooopid people earning nothing for doing nothing can go to hell!
  • Options
    She really doesn't and even if she did why does it justify her earning a tax income from ordinary, poor people?
  • Options
    Originally posted by pie
    trust you

:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    It's part of our culture which we have had for years. Why fix it if it ian't broken.

The worst justification for such things. It was part of our democratic culture to not allow women to vote and the system worked perfectly well but we changed that, I think for the better..........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    The worst justification for such things. It was part of our democratic culture to not allow women to vote and the system worked perfectly well but we changed that, I think for the better..........
    That's different - not allowing women to vote was antidemocratic and anti- freedom of speech. It was downright wrong.

The royal family isn't 'wrong' ...care to explain what or whom exactly they are harming/offending?