Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Swearing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it ok to swear in front of children?

Did your parents let you swear? Did you hear them swear?

Are they just "more words" and should we pay less anttention as a society to naughty words?

Comments

• Options
    swear words or expletives as they are also known are just there to fill a space when someone doesn't know what else to say

My family hate anyone using them. I don't see the need for them so I hardly swear.
  • Options
    i just cant fucking help my self.
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    i use them as an exaggerated exaggeration... mostly in fun :) my parents don't like it though, so i never intentionally swear around them..
  • Options
    Re: Swearing
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Is it ok to swear in front of children?

NO Id say not.

It is not nice hearing a child telling another child to *Fuck off*.

This actually did happen in the town today at the bus stop funny enough. Anyway this mother told her son to stop saying that, he had said *Fuck it* . So he says it again and then she said to her mate *Who the fuck taught him to say that * Well I pissed myself laughing

:lol:
  • Options
    I don't see why swear words need to be taken so seriously, or seen as "wrong".

I mean, I've seen parents slap their kids round the mouth for saying a "rude" word. Not going into the whole slapping debate here, but at the end of the day it's just a word that they've picked up.

If you don't want your children to swear, don't do it in front of them. But they're always going to pick it up from other places. Personally I think you should be able to swear in front of your kids, if you really get worked up and that's the first thing that comes out of your mouth then why worry about the effect it'll have on your kids? They will come to understand why you do it. And meh, double standards, adults can say the words but kids can't and that confuses them.

Oh that's so rambly and senseless but I know what I mean. Forgive me, it's all this studying. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    nothing is as bad as hearing a girl say the 'c' word

makes me shudder!
  • Options
    Originally posted by molo
    nothing is as bad as hearing a girl say the 'c' word

actually... that's the only swear word I never use. Ugh, I hate it. :mad:
  • Options
    My mum swears but my da dosen't,he says there is no need for it but i think its a way of exagerrating ur point of view,dont always swear though.
    But dont think children should swear at a young age,was walking home the other day with my sister from school and a girl about 7 after being pestered by a different girl about wether she was going to school tommorow,the little girl said "I dont know,now fuck off":lol: I did laugh out loud then at that.
    But swearing is just another load of words that i dont pay attention to anymore,its just a daily way of life now.
  • Options
    Samuti how do you think you would feel if you had a 6 yr old son/daughter who went to school and said swear words to the teacher? Would you not be embarrased? are you telling me that its ok for a child to swear?
  • Options
    I don't see why you say children swearing , what's the differance between a child swearing and an adult?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Samuti how do you think you would feel if you had a 6 yr old son/daughter who went to school and said swear words to the teacher? Would you not be embarrased? are you telling me that its ok for a child to swear?

I know what you mean, and yes I would probably be embarrassed... I guess I was trying to say was that you shouldn't completely restrict what you say in front of your kids. I'm not saying it's okay for a child to swear, I'm saying that it's not *entirely* wrong. If that makes any sense :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by sarahisgreat
    I don't see why you say children swearing , what's the differance between a child swearing and an adult?

Because as an adult it is acceptable to swear, in my opinion anyhow.
    When I was in London for some reason the majority of Cockneys swore every second word but it never sounded bad. It just came out naturally. However if you hear children swearing it just does not sound nice.

I do swear but not all the time, like if im annoyed, or joking on I may say *ahhhh fuck right off* or sommat like that, but every second word aint swearing.
  • Options
    Because as an adult it is acceptable to swear, in my opinion anyhow.
    When I was in London for some reason the majority of Cockneys swore every second word but it never sounded bad. It just came out naturally. However if you hear children swearing it just does not sound nice.

I do swear but not all the time, like if im annoyed, or joking on I may say *ahhhh fuck right off* or sommat like that, but every second word aint swearing.
    no swearing in front of the children is the way in my family but ...

when my now seven year old grandson was five his mum took him outside to see the snow and he shouts with joy ..."fucking hell it's snowing"!
    bit embarresing to say the least.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

when my now seven year old grandson was five his mum took him outside to see the snow and he shouts with joy ..."fucking hell it's snowing"!
    bit embarresing to say the least.

LOL I bet.

In all seriousness I dont swear in front of children, sometimes I do have slip ups and say *Shit* which I didnt want Becks to start using, as Ive said before she knows thats a naughty word and tells me off If I say it.
  • Options
    I still don't see the differance. I don't think you should have to be a certain age to use a particular word.
  • Options
    I still don't see the differance. I don't think you should have to be a certain age to use a particular word.
    then your a pillock great sarah.
  • Options
    I'd take no pride in hearing or knowing of my little kid swearing like me... it's just not the language of a child!
  • Options

Do you swear?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    then your a pillock great sarah.

First off I'm a boy.

And since I'm a pillock you could explain with that great intellect of yours why it's acceptable for an adult to swear and not a child.
  • Options
    First off I'm a boy.

Well why have you got that user name? did you not think people would think you were a girl?
  • Options
    i just think the image of a 5 year old kid shouting "fuck this" and "fuck that" is totally disturbing... i mean, it IS wrong.. surely...
  • Options
    Do you swear?

Yeah :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Well why have you got that user name? did you not think people would think you were a girl?

people might think he is a lesbian??

sarah is great

not my name is sarah and i'm great.

sorry, had to butt in hehe :)
  • Options
    Yeah :rolleyes:

So youre happy with a child of yours going to school and telling the teacher
    to *fuck off * ?
  • Options
    and also i think there is a difference between a child swearing and blatently disrespecting the teacher
  • Options
    sorry, had to butt in hehe :) [/B]

oooohhhhhhh :p

crappy examples :lol:
  • Options
    and also i think there is a difference between a child swearing and blatently disrespecting the teacher

If a child hears swearing at home they could come out with exactly what I said, if they hear it at home or in the streets. A child wouldnt see it as disrespecting the teacher, they are only saying what they have been taught.
  • Options
    i think we see children as a lot more stupid than they really are, i remember when i was in junior school i was swearing but it didn't mean i would swear at the teacher!
  • Options
    First off I'm a boy.

And since I'm a pillock you could explain with that great intellect of yours why it's acceptable for an adult to swear and not a child.
    i didn't say it's acceptable. it is not ok for children to do many things adults do. drink, drugs, sex, driving a car etc etc et bloody ceteraaarrrr.
    if you think i have a great intelect then you realy are a bloody pilliock.
  • Options
    So youre happy with a child of yours going to school and telling the teacher
    to *fuck off * ?

No because a teacher is *supposed* to be an authority figure,

In the same way you wouldn't tell a police officer to fuck off but I'm sure you'd say it to other people.