Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Reallity bites, so bite back.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, this is a rant about reality-TV, and how it affects us, and what I believe we should do instead, how that could improve us all. Feel free to post any comments you want, but this is just something I've had on my mind for a while, so I thought I'd share it with you.

People would far rather watch someone else's life than do anything about their own. How many people sit down and watch Big Brother religiously? From 10 o'clock to half past every weekday, Big Brother is on the TV. Before that, it's also on for one and a half hours every weekday, so a total of two hours of TV time, every weekday is taken up be Big Brother. The one and a half hours extra takes place at night time, so not many people watch it, however a lot do for the main 30 minutes at night.

Of those that watch Big Brother everyday, how many do you think can honestly say they're happy with the way they are? How many do you think can look at themselves in the mirror and feel good about their body? or how well they're doing at work or at school? People are fundamentally insecure. We're quick to point out the good points about others, but very reluctant to do the same about ourselves. 10 bad points about ourselves can be listed within a minute, but the same isn't true about good. This goes beyond modesty. However, is it really the case that nobody has yet thought that doing something with yourself for half an hour instead of watching TV would benefit us so much more?

The same can be said about Soaps. There are far too many of them out there right now. How many people follow Neighbours? Home And Away? Casualty? ER? desperately wanting to know how the latest situation will sort itself out? How many people sit in-front of ER (for example) and think to themselves "I want his/her body" or "I want his/her job" or "education"? Well, there's a very simple solution to all of this. Simply stop watching those programs.

Think about this for a bit, before I'm flamed out of existence. Let's say, for the sake of argument, person A watches Big Brother and ER as often as they can. That's 1 hour nightly where they sit down, switch off, and put more concern into someone else's life and situation than their own. Instead of doing that, how about A goes jogging for that period of time? It doesn't have to be terribly far or fast, just around a local area for half an hour. By the end of the latest season of the programme, A will be fitter and feeling better. The average season lasts for what, two months? Doing something as small as jogging for half an hour every weekday for two months will lose excess weight and improve overall fitness. The benefits are tremendous. Since the fashion industry focuses on slimmer models, losing any excess weight will allow you to fit into clothes that are a closer size to the models'. This will mean those clothes will suit you better, and you'll feel better wearing them. Your overall fitness increasing will allow you to concentrate more at work or school, so you're more likely to get further. Another benefit is the food you eat. I dare say, very few people eat healthily (I'll admit it - I certainly don't), but with a better level of fitness, that becomes less of a worry. But exercising instead of watching TV shows where nothing major happens anyway, similar situations happen in all shows, and the outcomes are identical in some cases, will burn off any calories you were worried about putting on. You'll be able to eat the foods you enjoy without concern of your weight, and it will show. What's more, it will show every time you try on something new, or go out doing something physically demanding with friends.

OK, maybe exercise isn't the best idea. After all, going out jogging in the dark or frequent rain isn't a lot of fun. So, instead of watching reality-TV, why don't you sit and study?
If you're in school, study the lessons you're taking. Not necessarily in any great depth, even just going over the stuff you've been taught will help cement it into your brain and put you in a better place for your exams. If you're taking exams now, use the time for revision. Get the topic you're taking an exam in fixed into your brain and you'll feel a lot happier going in the exam, be more relaxed, more knowledgeable and do better.
If you're in work, why not have a look at the topic you're working in? You'll be more "in the know" about it and be able to do your job better. This will mean you'll gain respect amongst your co-workers and you employers. This will equate to promotion. Another idea is reading into a different subject, not the one you work in, but the one you want to work in. Everybody has a dream job, right? Finding out more information about that job, or getting the information you'll need for it will mean the changes of you getting it are much higher than if you do nothing. A dream job you work towards would make it worth so much more. Even if you ultimately decide that job's not for you, you've worked at it, and your efforts earned you that job - very little will ever compare to that sense of achievement.

If neither study nor physical labour are your thing, why not volunteer somewhere. Local hospitals or other facilities must be crying out of people who are willing to give their time to helping others. At the end of that one, you may not be better educated, or in better health, but you will be in the knowledge that you've done something to help. You could have saved someone time so they could do something more important or useful, you could have brightened someone's day by paying them a visit, a satisfaction far greater than that gained by watching Big Brother.

If you are in a relationship, why don't you do something with your partner (if you're not, doing any of the above will make you a more attractive person, and you're far more likely to find someone you could really get along with). There are no limits to what you could do in that time, but your relationship would be stronger for it. You'd be closer together because you show that you're interested in them. And, in a lot of cases, that will speak volumes.
What about your family? How often do we get the chance to see them? Instead of watching reality-TV, you could spend time with them. Get to know your family better. Make up for time lost in the past, or keep alive previous times spent together.
In both of these, nothing major needs to take place. You don't need to organise a day out. Often, just spending time with them, chatting or doing another activity with them will give them a real smile and make their day a better one.

Instead of watching other people's successes, create your own. Your friends will surely be able to fill you into what's going on in the latest reality-TV show if you're that interested. Review or opinions regarding them will also key you in if you feel you're missing out. But working towards a goal in that time or using that time to improve yourself is far more beneficial. At the end of the season, you could well have missed a great story, but the chances are, you will have missed an average one, one that could have been better. Instead of having filled your head with a story that has no relation to your life, you will have physically, mentally or emotionally grown. You will feel better than when you started. Feeling better will have you being more confident and positive, emotions that will show, radiating off you in even the smallest things you do. Plus, at the end of a week, month, or season, you can look back and know you did something worth while.

Nobody has ever gotten anywhere by sitting around and doing nothing. The time is available, the facilities will be available as well. Do something now, and the rewards will come your way. You’ve been given a life, make the most of it. Your body can do so much more than sit, why not see what It really can do?
Stop watching, start doing.
Stop pretending, start living.
There is no way you will feel bad for doing it. Just try it and see.

Comments

• Options
    Waaaaay too much writing for me...I will read though, just later! :)
  • Options
    way to lazy to read it. someone do a quite sumary of it for me, my eyes hurt cos ive lost my glasses
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    Waaaaay too much writing for me...I will read though, just later! :)

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    I read this and would agree with you on the part about Big Brother but some people would rather sit and watch a reality tv show watching someone elses life,i personally dont watch it,dont see the point in it.
    I have a job and dont sit around and watch tv an awful lot,just watch a hour,2 hours a day but spend more time on the Internet.Is this a waste of life?No,i am expressing myself in different days through the Internet ie-here.
    If everyone took your advice there would be alot of low ratings in Big Brother but people are addicted to knowing about others when they really should be thinking about their own life and the future.
  • Options
    Re: Reallity bites, so bite back.

Firstly you do have a good point but.....
    Originally posted by Skateside
    How many people sit down and watch Big Brother religiously? From 10 o'clock to half past every weekday

me
    Of those that watch Big Brother everyday, how many do you think can honestly say they're happy with the way they are? How many do you think can look at themselves in the mirror and feel good about their body? or how well they're doing at work or at school?

i am happy with my body and my appearence. why does this have anything to do with reality tv?

what you got against TV? do you never watch it? would you rather go for a run? read a book? good for you!
    why not volunteer somewhere. Local hospitals or other facilities must be crying out of people who are willing to give their time to helping others.B]

Do you?

no much else to say
  • Options
    Personally I don't give a flying fuck what people do with their time as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

Do you watch TV? I bet you watch some things. We could argue that you could spend that time volunteering in a hospital!

Volunteering isn't as easy as you make out, it takes ages to find a placement suitable.

Why do you care so much? Worry about your own life!
  • Options
    Although parts of what you wrote made sense then I don't think it's realistic of you to criticise people for watching the tv and say it's because they are avoiding something else in their lives.

I personally don't want to get into more work after having been working for eight hours. I come home and rest, do something I enjoy before I go to bed and wake up the morning after to work more. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, in fact, we do get time from work to relax and tend to our hobbies. =) Although it is a bit dull if your only after-work "hobby" is staring that the screen. :p
  • Options
    clap, clap, clap

the first post of this topic is one of the most inspirational things i have ever read, they should frame that and put it up in the wait watcher club (but first make it a bit shorter), well done, if you continue down that path you will have a career in motivational speech.
  • Options
    Re: clap, clap, clap
    Originally posted by 711fitzy
    the first post of this topic is one of the most inspirational things i have ever read, they should frame that and put it up in the wait watcher club (but first make it a bit shorter), well done, if you continue down that path you will have a career in motivational speech.
    Maybe they could also put it on the wall at Can't Spell Anonymous. That didn't motivate me in the slightest.

Edited to add: Coming from someone who's Location is listed as: in front of the TV, I don't think you're in any position to judge! :lol:
  • Options
    Re: Reallity bites, so bite back.
    OK, this is a rant about reality-TV, and how it affects us, .

Wassup, you got the tits cos you didnt get picked to be on BB ?