Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

GM Foods

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is anyone worried about GM Foods?

For anyone unclear what this means - it is when scientists take a plant or crop and modify it's genes to change it's characteristics.

Sometimes this involves taking genes from one plant or crop and combining it with another - but now they can even take genes from animals and combine them into a plant.

Most of the time they do things like make a crop more resistant to pests or diesese that would otherwise eat or destroy the crop.

The use of GM foods is thought to be widespread, mainly in processed foods like ready made meals or biscuits through the use of GM Soya and Maize.

Most supermarkets stock them, only the Iceland (UK) chain has banned them.

So anyone worried or think it's a good thing?

Comments

• Options
    No, I'm not worried about eating GM foods. The ideas and principals behind GM food are good, creating better foods.
    The press love the idea of "frankenstein" foods, and whipping up hysteria about anything like that. The thing is, just about every food we eat has been geneticly modified through breeding and cross breeding for hundreds, or even thousands of years. So I don't think it's a problem.

However, what does worry me is what happens to them out in the field (so to speak). My only concerns are about releasing GM crops in to the open without thoroughly testing them first.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I pretty much agree - it's what happens in the feilds that worry me, say for instance GM crops stop a certain pest from feeding on it - well that pest will decline and may even die out - but lets say that pest also eats Mosquitos - the it means more mosquiitos will live and more malaria and therefore more people die from that .. just a wild example - but there's a whole chain of events that could happen that we cannot predict - like the cattle tick, garden snail or fuit fly which were accidently introduced in Australia years ago and have caused havoc. Or the ones people introduced on purpose like the cane toad who's Females can lay up to 30 000 eggs per year while Australian native frogs usually lay less than 1000 eggs per year.
  • Options
    healthy soil

GM foods are a bad idea
    no one knows what the long term effects are
    its just an excuse to not give a monkey's about the soil and to make money

http://www.soilassociation.org/web/sa/saweb.nsf/848d689047cb466780256a6b00298980/80256ad80055454980256a2a0053a59c!OpenDocument

okay, the soil association might be biased but their arguments are robust.

If people respected the land and treated it well, then it wouldn't go wrong and there wouldn't be a need for it.
  • Options
    I would have to know more about GM foods to know whether they should really be eaten or not. I don't like the idea that scientists mess around with cells etc and cause unnecessary deaths to animals though. So at present I lack knowledge and therefore don't mind eating them or not
  • Options
    My family don't eat GM foods. Or as little as possible anyway. We also eat organic foods as much as we can - although this is not always possible because they're so expensive.

The ideas behind GM foods scare me. Scientists shouldn't fuck with things like that. Personally, I feel that the scientists would be better devoting their time to finding cures for illnesses and stuff, rather than creating 'superfoods'.
  • Options
    Members of the public were largely absent from the first of a series of nationwide debates on GM food, the Guardian reported. GM Nation?, a government-backed plan to find out what ordinary people think of GM, launched yesterday in Birmingham. But due to the total lack of advertising, most people were unaware it was happening.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/gmdebate/Story/0,2763,970008,00.html
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    The thing is, just about every food we eat has been geneticly modified through breeding and cross breeding for hundreds, or even thousands of years. So I don't think it's a problem.

very misleading this one wobble. you can only cross breed within a similar group or species. in nature a horse can reproduce with a donkey and produce a mule but it cannot go any further as all mules are born sterile. apple and pear trees can be cross grafted, as they are the same genetic family. but you couldn't cross pollinate or graft an apple tree with a oak tree.
    no way could a wheat seed contain the genetic information from a
    jellyfish.
    this is where it does become frankenstien food.
    everything we eat is geneticly coded information. not changed since the dawn of time. now ...the genetic and chemical stucture of what we are being asked to eat, may as well have come from another planet. no one has any ideas at all about long term effects. NO ONE HAS ANY IDEAS. not even the scientists. they have no previous to go off and no models for the future.
    one piece of hard evidence they do have is that a genetic crop can have it's seeds blown over wide areas, which then cross pollinate in some unexpected ways with other plants. these other plants then become sterile unable to produce any seed with the potential for wiping out of whole grain and vegtable species and the creation of deserts. a lot of this stuff has already been released into the environment.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    one piece of hard evidence they do have is that a genetic crop can have it's seeds blown over wide areas, which then cross pollinate in some unexpected ways with other plants. these other plants then become sterile unable to produce any seed with the potential for wiping out of whole grain and vegtable species and the creation of deserts. a lot of this stuff has already been released into the environment.

so this means you can only buy seeds from the GM company, so they can control the price.

Also it is not just mixing different species but taking out genes so the plant can't reproduce. therefore the farmer has to buy new seeds every year. this is a problem in places like africa, where farmers use the last crop for the following year.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_kazzy
    My family don't eat GM foods. Or as little as possible anyway. We also eat organic foods as much as we can - although this is not always possible because they're so expensive.

The ideas behind GM foods scare me. Scientists shouldn't fuck with things like that. Personally, I feel that the scientists would be better devoting their time to finding cures for illnesses and stuff, rather than creating 'superfoods'.

Well one of the benefits of GM crops is they produce better yields - some might say what's the point of curing illness in countries where people are starving to death. (Just playing Devil's Advocate)
  • Options
    Im against GM foods totally until the research which is needed is done .. We are what we eat and by changing the Genetic makeup of a food or food group could have untold side affects in Generations to come, no one simply knows what hey might cause !

I don't see them in beneficial in the fight against world hunger either when alot of famines are man made and by this i mean they are often brought about in third world countries by war and the compltete use countires budgets in funding these wars , In europe we produce way more food than we need but yet the vast majority remains locked up in or gets destroyed rather than bewing used to help famine victims :mad:
  • Options
    I'm ignorant about GM food, so I'll just say as long as it tastes nice I'll eat it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Well one of the benefits of GM crops is they produce better yields - some might say what's the point of curing illness in countries where people are starving to death. (Just playing Devil's Advocate)

I knew someone would reply with that :p

Nah, we have too much food as it is. There's quite enough food in the world to feed everyone, it's just distributed unevenly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Well one of the benefits of GM crops is they produce better yields

but they don't

look at this study
    http://www.soilassociation.org/web/sa/saweb.nsf/a71fa2b6e2b6d3e980256a6c004542b4/9ce8a24d75d3f65980256c370031a2d0!OpenDocument&Highlight=0,Seeds
    edited to include
    The claims of increased yields have not been realised overall except for a small increase in Bt maize yields. Moreover the main GM variety (Roundup Ready soya) yields 6 –11 per cent less than non-GM varieties
    if you don't want to read the report
  • Options
    The issue of GM within the UK is totaly pointless anyway, yes it might increase yields and decrease the inputs that farmers need, but there's NO market for it.

Commercial comodity farming within the UK is DEAD and its not coming back, the only reason farmers didnt stop years ago is because we've been paying them not to.

The reform of the CAP with the increase of the numbers of countries within the EU will mean that it will be even less econonicly viable for farmers to grow standarised crops within the UK.

With the modulation of subsidies away from direct payments it will be much better for the farmers, consumers, tax payers and the enviroment for farmers here to concentrate most of their efforts on the higher quality end of the market.

Even if farmers within the UK did use GM crops they still wont be able to compete with Poland anyway so whats the point.

Plus any argument about this being controled by big business is pointless. The whole bloody food chain apart from the farmers is already controled by big multi-nationals, take the supermarkets for example, the DTI produced a report saying that supermarkets above any other force were pushing down profit margins for farmers.

Well any of you who have read down this far...well done. Here endth the lesson for today.