Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Clubbing memories

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
This for me is one of the defining moments of my clubbing history.

The scene is a Bristol, its 1986 and the DJ is doing a half hour mix of the new music called 'House'. Most people leave the dancefloor after about ten minutes and those that are left are mainly lads who have been waiting for this selection all night.

Remember this is still pre-ecstasy, strictly lager and shorts.

To my absolute horror I notice that those that are left seem to consist of lads I know who are heavily involved in the football hooligan scene with both Bristol City and Rovers. Oh and they hate each other with a passion.

But wait everyones smiling and dancing, I wonder if they have noticed each other and wait for the inevitable brawl to break out.
I then realize, no one cares, cheesy as it sounds I can only describe it as 'one nation under a groove'. House has only been around in Bristol a few months but as I stand there I realize that theres something about this new music that has caused the hoolies to to dance rather than fight. Total strangers who would normally be trying to put each other in hospital are putting their arms round each other, enjoying themselves and calling a truce.

In the next couple of years House will achieve where politicians and the police have failed as the level of football violence begins to drop all over the country and the hoolies embrace the new scene with a passion. End.

Anybody else witness similair scenes? or have any life-changing moments in clubland?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    hmm

What happens in clubs hereis a bit differant than everyone getting on!

The 'pill heads' and the beer boys hate each other, then the pissed people try and start a fight but pilled up people don't bother. So the pissed twats fight each other, shame..
  • Options
    I take too many drugs to have memories!
  • Options
    Nice essay there Black Arab, well said!

I'm more of a beerboy (or rather, alcopop kid!) I'm not too fussed about pill-heads, as most events I attend are dance - Slinky, Sundissential, Godskitchen etc. As long as the people are enjoying themselves, as stated in Black Arab's post, then thats all thats matters.

I often hear attitude being associated with Ben Sherman label, and Rockport (I think is also a clothing label). What sort of garments are Sherman + Rockport, and how does it tie in with bad attitude in clubbng?
  • Options
    Ben Sherman are shirts dont know if they make anything else and rockports are boots. They are associated with people with bad attitudes in clubs because that is typically the style that beer boys wear.
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    I take too many drugs to have memories!

:lol: