Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Left wing, right wing BOTH intolerant & blinkered

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Left wing, right wing BOTH bigots :

One of the reasons I say that.

On a "right wing" discussion board, I said words to the effect; Let asylum seekers in, keep economic migrants out. I get called a commie pinko fag liberal do gooder, lots of intolerance and hate directed at me said the same on a "left wing " discussion board and I'm a racist bigot again almost total intolerance.......What have the left and right got in common ?
INTOLERANCE to any view or opinion that does not match their own narrow minded view of life......stuff them both.

peacechild

Comments

• Options
    One of the best 'rights' you can grant is the right to be in-between - to be neither a 0 nor a 1, but a moderate.

Read Brave New World and you see what total enforcement of the right to be happy entails. A right to be unhappy is also required to bring some balance into the system (Mr. Savage says as much near the end.)

The nice thing about being extreme is that you only have to cope with attacks from one side. Being a moderate leaves you open to attacks from both - just as you described.
  • Options
    test
  • Options
    Peacechild, you have got the most ironic name considering your posts in support of the arms trade. Millions of people or are killed, injured or made refugees because of the international arms trade. Which is subsidised by the British tax payer. It is also ironic to see peoples outrage on this board over the terrorist bombing yesterday, yet a few days ago they could see nothing wrong with the international arms trade, which causes far more death and destruction.
    Also your condemning of Genoa rioters without also condemning that suffering and damage to the environment caused by the multi-national companies who these rioters were protesting against was very intolerant. The companies that the rioters were against cause far more damage than what those rioters had done. Whats a few broken windows compared to the destruction of the rain forest, global warming or the suffering caused by third world debt or the international arms trade. You could do well to visit this site www.antiwar.com
  • Options
    Steelgate,

They hijacked the planes with little more than penknives. I dont see how the International arms trade has a damn thing to do with this? Surely its much more to do with US foreign policy. Its got bugger all to do with the arms trade.
  • Options
    Steelgate - as in 'Iron Curtain'?

I suppose that you are going to protest about aeroplane manufacturers now - pretty lethal weapons, aren't they?
  • Options
    I was just telling Peacechild, that her name is ironic given her defence of the arms trade. By the way in the light of the NYC attack perhaps it's time to look at how the USA and Britain inflame areas through things such as the sale of arms or training of foreign soldiers. By doing this and supporting oppresive regimes we make ourselves a target. So the arms trade does have something to do with the attack on the World Trade Centre as if the USA had not supported Israel and supplied it with arms it would not have made itself a target in the first place.
  • Options
    if the USA had not supported Israel and supplied it with arms it would not have made itself a target in the first place.

The arms trade is irrelevent. Firstly the US gives lots of weapons to Israel. Secondly even if arms werent involved then the US would still have been a supporter of Israel. So you are actually commenting on the foreign policy of the US, nothing to do with the arms trade.

Do you think the US deserved what it got yesterday?
  • Options
    Steelgate, I'm a him and this post isn't about the arms trade and yes my user name does not reflect my nature.

peacechild
  • Options
    A rather sharp wited man who’s name escapes me wrote: If you sit on the fence the bastards can shoot you from both sides.

With regards to Brave New World – you can counterbalance the horrors of the left with the horrors of the right in 1984 and I know which distopia I’d rather exist in
  • Options
    I see what you are saying peacechild. But isn't supporting oppression right wing, rather than in the centre? It would help if you didn't call people that you consider left wing 'blinkered idiots'. They might be more receptive to your point of view.

Just a point : America sells arms to other (foreign) countries. Therefore, it is part of foreign policy to allow this to happen. The two are linked.