Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Phones abroad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Will my mobile work in the USA?

It's a Nokia 3330 or 3310 (never sure which one) (vodafone).

Also, with pay as you go phones, what happens if you don't use it for 3 months, would it still work ok?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    when u buy a top up card there should be an info number to call on that to see if it will work in usa, also check vodafone.co.uk

If you leave your phone for 3 months it should still work, i left mines for ages once and nothing happened.

Im on vodafone too i think when u take it abroad your call and txt costs are much more expensive because it knows u are on vodafone uk and using other countries signals or somethin!
  • Options
    America's mobiles use a different bandwidth to transmit on, so chances are your phone won't work out there, i think most nokias aren't enabled. It'll be fine to leave it for 3 months switched off, nothing should happen to it.

I'd suggest investing in a cheap mobile once you're out there, if you can't live without it, or just get phonecards :)
  • Options
    No, your Nokia wont work out there because you need a tri-band phone (the newer and more expensive phones!).

But like the others said, nothing should happen if you dont use a pay as you go for 3 months.
  • Options
    certain mobile phones work whilst others dont
  • Options
    Originally posted by Samuti
    No, your Nokia wont work out there because you need a tri-band phone (the newer and more expensive phones!).

But like the others said, nothing should happen if you dont use a pay as you go for 3 months.

I was positive the 3310/3330 was a triband?
  • Options
    jacaranda, thanks for your responses but you do make some pointless posts. no offence meant!
  • Options
    Originally posted by TempleOfDreams
    I was positive the 3310/3330 was a triband?

unfortunately not. :( *pout* :p
  • Options
    I've got a Nokia 3330 and it didn't work in America.
  • Options
    3330 dont work in america!!!
    they cant even send msgs without fucking up.
  • Options
    No - your Nokia is a Dual Band - will work everywhere on the planet that uses GSM except USA and Canada.

Best phones for Triband seem to be Motorola (USA Company)

My cousin bought an Ericsson Triband espacially cos he travels to the USA and Canada so much and out of 11 months it's worked about 2 - totally useless phone and useless service from T-Mobile and Ericsson.

You can pickup some cheap 2nd hand triband phones from Ebay, QXL, etc.

Although don't expect very good coverage - it's usually fine in big towns bu on the open road - nothing!!