Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Secretary

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Has anyone seen it?!?!

I went to see it last night with my boyfriend, was really looking forward to it because it's supposed to be a bit kinky ;):naughty:

And, omg, it is pretty damn kinky!! But with a brilliant storyline... I thought it was a really good film :)

Just wondered if anyone else had seen it?!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I read about it and really want to see it. I like slightly twisted films like that. I thought it was quite an old film? Did you rent it out or something?
    My friend and her boyfriend went to see it. Apparently there were loads of guys in there by themselves watching it. :/
    Originally posted by Mist
    My friend and her boyfriend went to see it. Apparently there were loads of guys in there by themselves watching it. :/

Yup, ditto!
    Some of them were about 60 too. Disturbing. :p
    sooo....wats this film all about may i ask?
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    sooo....wats this film all about may i ask?

With sheer originality and bold,unflinching humor, Secretary embraces a most unconventional relationship and lays open the notion that love doesn't always occur in the traditional fashion. Lee Holloway (Maggie Gyllenhaal) has a few strikes against her when she applies for a secretarial position at the law office of E. Edward Grey (James Spader). For starters, she was released only recently from a mental institution. However, she gets the job anyway and soon learns that Mr. Grey is not your average boss. Eventually, they begin a relationship, crossing lines of conduct that would give most human resource directors the shivers. Director Steven Shainberg performs a remarkable feat by taking what could be construed as weighty material and infusing it with sensuality and, even more surprisingly, humor. Based on a critically acclaimed short story "Secretary," by Mary Gaitskill, the exquisitely honed character development of Secretary lures us to the darker side of human sexuality, all the while warming us up to the idea that people are getting--and giving--what they want. While it toys with society's expectations of love, Secretary also explores the delicate balance between pain and healing, control and surrender. It could never be labeled old-fashioned but, when all is said and done, Secretary is, at its core and undeniably, a love story.

Courtesy of Rotten Tomatoes and Lions Gate Entertainment :p