Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My Brother, the One Man Crime Wave.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't understand why he's doing it. He seems to believe that his stealing is somehow charmed, he will get away with it.

It started with him stealing sweets for himself, last year when he didn't have the money (every kids done that right?). He then 'diversified' into stealing to sell at school. I dont know why I felt this was alright, i guess it was just easier to think, 'every kid does that'. But he's recently started stealing whenever he doesn't have the money; Portable Speakers, remote headphones, CD-R's and god knows what else.

My Mum is actually going a little bit insane over this while my Dad well, lets just say hes not too concerned. Should I be brotherly and support him? Or moral and condemn him? Serious Quandary.

Comments

• Options
    Re: My Brother, the One Man Crime Wave.
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    Should I be brotherly and support him? Or moral and condemn him? Serious Quandary.
    You should be brotherly and condemn him. Talk to him without hassling too much, but tell him that a) it's wrong to do that, and more importantly b) if he gets caught, he'll be in severe shit. And every time he steals he's more likely to get caught.

And no, not every kid does it! Your mum's right to be worried. Another idea would be to tell the school what he's doing, so that they can try to sort out that problem - it's all very well him stealing for himself, but selling it on to others is worse.

Seriously, don't support him - would you do that yourself? Do you think it's a bright idea? No. Help him to stop.

Another thing - how much money do your parents give him? It's a difficult subject, but maybe he's not getting enough for simple things like sweets etc. Obviously, no parent gives their child enough for regularly buying speakers, cd-writers etc, but it still might be something that could be sorted.
  • Options
    I agree with pretty much everything perfect***day said here. Be a big brother and help him see that what he's doing is wrong. He must look up to you so if anyone's going to get him to stop, you're probably the one to do it.
  • Options
    How old is he? Tell him that if he gets a criminal record at this age, it could seriously jeopardise his future eg if he wants to go to university or get a job later in life.

I agree with what the others have said. You have to be brotherly but you can't support what he's doing. But try not to lecture him - he's more likely to rebel against it if you do.

Sorry I can't give better advice. Try to support your mum as well, it must be difficult for her knowing that her son's getting into trouble like this.
  • Options
    I'm not too sure how old he is but could he not take on some part-time work? Or a paper round. I know it's not much money but surely it's better than flogging nicked stuff?

Just point out that he;s doing nothing to help your mum's health and that you think it's about time he stopped before he gets done.

I got done when i was 15 for something a bit similar and had to go through the courts and it was not pleasant and it soon cured me of any bad ways completely. I saw how much it hurt my parents and made my dad ill.
  • Options
    Thankyou everyone. Its so hard not to lecture him! I just end up saying the same thing over and over and over... (He's 14+1/2 by the way) It looks like he's been doing it in a group, i'm not sure whether that is comforting or alarming... Carolina, would you mind if I showed him your post?
  • Options
    ok firstly im apologising for not reading all the posts so if i repeat what someone already said, im sorry... i just wanted to quickly add my comment...

i know he's young, but do you think maybe he's in trouble? Maybe he's smoking cannabis or something and has got to get some money form somewhere to pay for it, or has got into the wwong croud and is doing jobs for people or something.

I dont have time to get into great detail, but there's just some ideas. hope everything's ok.