Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should the minimum prosecution age be lowered?

Following the incident in which a couple of 9-year-old girls were caught throwing stones at passing motorway traffic, the Evening Standard claims in its front page it is "madness" the two kids cannot be prosecuted because of their age, being just 1 year short of the minimum age required.

So what do we think? At which age should a child be accountable to the law for his actions?

I must say I'm at pains at this. Even if a 9 year-old child was prosecuted and found guilty of an offence, is it right to send them to an institution? At which age is a child conscious of right and wrong?

On the other hand, the craziness of the situation is that had the driver got out of his car and slapped each child on the face- which would be an understandable reaction under the circumstances- he would likely end up in prison himself for assault, while the children walk free with no so much as a reprimand.

It is also true that as time passes each generation becomes aware of things at an earlier age- from sex to drugs to crime. So if the trend continues, the logic is that at some point we will have to lower the minimum age of prosecution.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know if prosecution would be appropriate.

Obviously something has to be done tough, they must have realised that what they were doing was dangerous.

Perhaps if a second such offeence is prosecutable at an earlier age?

I'm not sure what they do now, co-ordiante some action with the parents and with the school I would imagine. Kids can be stupid and dangerous but I don't think they deserve to be treated roughly when they are only 9.............
  • Options
    Why not take the parents to task in some fashion (hefty fine?) for allowing their kids to run wild unsupervised to cause such potentially life threatening mischief?

Far too many parents seem to abrogate their disciplinary responsibilities toward their children and then protest bloody murder to the press when as teens or young adults they finally cross the line, forcing society to implement disciplinary action (i.e. prison terms).

Perhaps if parents knew that they too could face penalties for the socially unacceptable actions of their children, they might make a greater effort to step up to the plate and reign in their little monsters.

Like the good book says, "spare the rod, spoil the child"
  • Options
    I think that the parents of these two girls should be made to go to parenting courses or something. How could they let their nine year old daughters disappear in such a manner? Weren't they worried about where they are?
  • Options
    Well they might be difficult to control and as has been mentioned you can't use physical force....

I would imagine the parents could control them better though, i am sure the police made them aware of the consequences, they need to be controlled soon else they will be old enough to be prosecuted very soon.......
  • Options
  • Options
    Symb, Whilst its true that most of us at one point or another in our youth have nicked a sweet or item from a department store for the thrill of it, your bother's case seems to go beyond this to outright cleptomania.

Cleptomania is actually a psychological disorder and should not be brushed away or excused due to his age. Such responses will only reinforce him in persisting until, as discussed above, he reaches an age suitable for direct prosecution should he be caught (and most clepto's eventually are).

Its a hard call for an outsider to make given your natural protective inclinations toward your own brother, but I'd suggest if confronting him personally has no effect, then you and your mom take steps to get him into counselling and/or make the local shops aware of his predelections so that they can forbid him entry without proper adult accompaniment.

If all else fails, perhaps they might have programmes in your area similar to the "Scared Straight" programmes we have had in the States for years. They basically take young repeat offenders into prisons where they are confronted by long term convicts who harshly describe just what awaits their tender young souls if they are finally put behind bars for their criminal ways.

Beyond that you might also make his school guidance counsellor aware of his problems.

Whatever you and your mom do though, youll have to be prepared for a period of anger and bitterness on his part if he indeed cannot see anything wrong in his behaviour patterns. In years to come though he will likely thank you for caring enough to have helped him avoid a life of crime.
  • Options
    I don't think the best way to deal with young thieves is to send them to prison but they ahve to be taught the error of their ways somehow, that US idea sounds sensible Clan.......

How old is your brother Sim?
  • Options
    14+1/2
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    Would you prosecute my brother?

No offence but he's old enough to be prosecuted.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    No offence but he's old enough to be prosecuted.

I know, thats whats scary.
  • Options
    I beleive if a child regarldess of age does something wrong then they need to be stopped, so if they are too young to be prosecuted then the onus should be put on the parents.

I think it would be a good idea if the police became more actively involved in schools. Making visits, taking schoolkids to the cells, let the kids actually see what a cell looks like. Maybe have people act as though they are prisoners and let the kids see what happens when you have been arrested. The shock of what actually goes on inside the police station could be enough just stop a few kids from going down the wrong way.

Simbelyne I think it sounds as though your brother could have started mixing with the wrong crowd, so is it possible to keep him away from them?