Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Muslim clerics arrested in Saudi Arabia!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Three clerics known as sympathizers of the al-Qaida terror group are among 11 suspected militants detained this week, Saudi Interior Minister Prince Nayef has said.

Speaking at a news conference, Nayef provided details of the arrests he announced the previous day as having taken place in the holy city of Medina, western Saudi Arabia, during the past few days.

The detainees included three wanted clerics — Ali al-Khudair, Ahmad al-Khalidi and Nasser al-Fahd — the minister said late Wednesday in Tabuk, 60 miles south of the Jordanian-Saudi border.

The clerics had urged people to support the 19 militants wanted in connection with a weapons cache found May 6 near the site of the Riyadh attacks six days later.

"They are some of the best mujahedeen (holy warriors) and virtuous devout men ... who have offered their lives, money and blood to God almighty and fought the spiteful Crusaders in Afghanistan (news - web sites) with heroism," the clerics said in a statement posted on the Internet.

The clerics, who had been in hiding for some time, are known to back al-Qaida, the terror group led by Osama bin Laden (news - web sites) that is suspected of instigating the Riyadh attacks as well as those of Sept. 11, 2001, on the United States. In the Riyadh attacks, the suicide assailants detonated vehicle bombs in housing compounds for foreigners in the Saudi capital, killing 25 bystanders.

Nayef was dismissive of the clerics, telling reporters: "Those who claim to be clerics and issue religious edicts are far from that. In reality, they are worthless."

"they are worthless."
This action is the biggest win yet in the W.O.T. :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    The fact that no one else on the site saw this as the main issue in the war on terror, speaks volumes about the bias in the news you guys are getting in Europe. It's misplaced liberalism.

These clerics gave Al Qaeda legitimacy. This is the major news story of our time.
  • Options
    Or maybe it was because you offered nothing to debate, just a news story whose importance is a mtter of opinion..........
  • Options
    It's THE news story. It's also THE justification for the Iraqi war. If that war and the subsequent attack in Saudi Arabia jolted the government to really go after the root causes of radicalism...that's the biggest win against Al Qaeda we could ever have.

Meantime, what do you think about the missing Boing airliner in Africa. Is it Al Qaeda or is it just a guy trying to avoid losing his jet to a debt collector?
  • Options
    A while ago I made a promise of reminding you that Iraq and T.W.A.T have absolutely nothing to do with each other and being a really nice guy I shall keep it. It's all for your own good.

So once more, the war on Iraq had absolutely NOTHING to do with Al Qaida, terrorism, Muslim radicals or indeed any Muslim whatsoever. Get it in your head because no matter how many times you say it is still a load of bollocks, and I fear you know it well but some built-in Republican chip is stopping you from coming to terms with it.

No matter. Together we will beat this pnj!
  • Options
    some built-in Republican chip

Classic. I love it. :lol:

I know. What I'm saying that the fear of US invasion is having a positive affect on the Arab World. Plus, Al Qaeda was stupid enough to really attack Saudi Arabia at the wrong time.
  • Options
    Positive?

A) Anti-American sentiment is at an all-time high.

B) Other than a few token arrests Muslim extremists and terrorists are still living the easy life in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and others. The authorities are not clamping down on them let alone dismantling the anti-American sentiment that provides new people for Al Qaida. And even if they were, it is certainly not out of fear that the US will invade them. Like it has been pointed out before, the aggressive warmongering stance of the US government is aiding terrorism, not fighting it.

C) Al Qaida wasn't any more "stupid" to attack targets in Saudi than it was to attack the US. It knows some retaliation will take place but the rewards for the organisation certainly outweigh a few arrests.

I can't help but think the US is digging deeper and deeper into the terrorism hole, and unless it dramatically changes its policy things will only get worse.
  • Options
    In SA it will be interrogation followed by: "Off With Their Heads!"

It's the 'royal' way!:D