Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

drivers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i just formatted my pc and the screen resolution has changed to default 640 x 480. i want it to be larger. also has only 16 colours, but when i try to change it on the settings i cant. i think its something to do with a driver i need. anyone know which and where?

Comments

• Options
    you need to know what your graphics card is. some common ones are radeon and nvidia, but there are so many that you really do need to know which one.

When you know which one it is, just go to their webpage and download the appropriate drivers. Oh and if the graphics card came with the pc it should say somewhere what graphics card it is. Unless it was like mine which just said "64mb RAM" and turned out to be a poxy lickle SiS thingymabobby :(

But I have my nvidia GeForce 4 mmx 440 now :)
  • Options
    hmmm, i looked on device manager > Display Adapters, it says Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)

Is VGA the make? or is it just a default thing? thanks ^^
  • Options
    Originally posted by hyukie
    hmmm, i looked on device manager > Display Adapters, it says Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)

Is VGA the make? or is it just a default thing? thanks ^^

It's a default thing. If windows loads up and can't load the correct video driver for the hardware it loads up this generic VGA driver. You need to open up your PC and have a look for the actual video chip/card. It'll tell you on the chip/card (unless your unlucky like ShyBoy) what make and model it is. Once you know that you can get the driver from the website. Good Luck :thumb:
  • Options
    ok thanks, ill open it up later and look.

if it is part of the motherboard, do i need a driver under the motherboards make?
  • Options
    yay, done :) just found a cd lying about which had the drivers on.