Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Newspapers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just been watching BBC 1 programme about Newspapers

I was wondering how other people feel about the British Tabloids?

Does anyone here get sick of the constant lengths they'll go to - to sell more papers, i.e. make up stories or misreport stories on purpose?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Newspapers
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I was wondering how other people feel about the British Tabloids?

Tabloids = Comics
  • Options
    Tabloids are simply for the working class. They have always been full of propaganda, gossip stories and showbiz crap and tits.

I love it. Minus the tits.

If I want to hear about SARS and Iraq, or the Euro, I'll get the Scotsman, thanks.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Newspapers
    Originally posted by bad seed
    Tabloids = Comics

I don't think it does if you're the subject of one of their stories though .. their lies can ruin people's lives.

I remember the Jerold Ratner (son of the guy who started Ratner's Jewellers) affair very well, they reported him in the paper because he said at a dinner his Jewellery was crap and then lots of people lost their jobs as the shops closed down because people weren't shopping there anymore.

Then years later they made a documentary and had a video of the event and it was clearly shown he was only telling a joke, but the newspapers twisted it to sell a few extra papers.

I think when newspaper play with people's lives it's pretty sick
  • Options
    I don't read any tabloid newspaper, largely because they're filled with nonsense that does not interest me.

I think that you should take everything that you read in newspapers, be them tabloids or broadsheets, cautiously, because there is no way of really guaranteeing their authenticity. So read a newspaper, but always ask yourself 'is this actually completely true?'
  • Options
    I read my local paper, like to catch up on all the gossip :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    like to catch up on all the gossip :D

Gossip is stupid. lol. Oh, Beckham's cut his hair again! XYZ is dating ABC. So? lol
  • Options
    i read the daily express for garfield comic strips and the sun for dear diedre
    and fuck all else!

ooh the tear are kickin in now.......... haha
  • Options
    I gave up reading the newspapers many many years ago, especially the tabloids, for all the reasons already mentioned and many more.
    They have no real interest in the news and the truth, only selling newspapers.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    Gossip is stupid. lol. Oh, Beckham's cut his hair again! XYZ is dating ABC. So? lol

Local gossip thank you !!!!!

Like whose been to court, local things which are happening in my area :p
  • Options
    Local gossip thank you !!!!!

Like whose been to court

Oh that's OK! I read the Around The Courts section in the North Devon Journal. :p Interesting reading! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    Oh that's OK! I read the Around The Courts section in the North Devon Journal. :p Interesting reading! :D

and then I phone me mate up and say "hey you seen whose been to court " lmao
  • Options
    and then I phone me mate up and say "hey you seen whose been to court " lmao

lol I don't do that, although I don't think I've ready about anyone that I know. :chin: