Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Move the EU's headquarters to London...or else.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If the EU wants the UK to join it so badly and transfer its wealth, power and prestige to it, the EU should have London as its headquarters and residence for the new President.

Let's be honest. We've seen in the last few months the alliance of Germany, Belgium and France against the UK...if once war was declared in Iraq. And we all know that any army built for this new state...will benefit aerospace contractors in France...and electronics/chemical companies in Germany...and Belguim gets the presitige and administrative incomes distributed in its country. So why not raise the bar and say, we want those high salaried people and the prestige in London? Otherwise, London's statue will be reduced on the continent...whether the UK joins or not.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Move the EU's headquarters to London...or else.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Otherwise, London's statue will be reduced on the continent...whether the UK joins or not.
    :lol:
  • Options
    yes move it to somewhere that isnt on the continent:rolleyes: thats REALLY gonna work, just think about it. UK is an island it will take more for people to get there.

Oh yeah and the EU wont become a tool of America if its moved to the UK, i hope that the EU will always try to stand up to coperate America
  • Options
    More uninformed nonsense from the young surfer who fancies himself an expert in international affairs ala Fox News! :lol:
  • Options
    When interest rates are dictated out of Frankfurt Germany...London's stature as a financial capital won't be lessened? I don't buy it.
  • Options
    Maybe but who really cares if a few bankers in London have to take salary cuts, sounds alright to me..........:rolleyes:
  • Options
    No more so than Luxembourg's has and its been a financial capital far longer than London.

You really know zip about Europe. Go get a proper education and come back when you at least have a clue.
  • Options
    What alliance against the UK are you talking about pnj?
  • Options
    No more so than Luxembourg's has and its been a financial capital far longer than London

Mabye , but Luxembourg is no way near as important as London.

It has been around for longer than New York as well , does that make it more important?
  • Options
    Yeah but why should you use your resources and productive output to raise the prestige of another country? Why? If you're one of the biggest players and they really want you to join, let them put the headquarters where it can do the UK good in terms of prestige and jobs?
  • Options
    Prestige really has nothing to do with it, few people see Belgium as more prestigious than anywhere else because of having some of the EU structure based there.

Think about geography Pj, would it make sense to have the capital of the US in Hawaii or Alaska?
  • Options
    Matadore> Luxembourg's international banking is far more extensive than that of London's, sorry to disappoint you.

pnj> Nothing in the current EU debate has anything whatsoever to do with raising the prestige of any single member state. Once again, go educate yourself rather than just rattling off ill informed nonsense that only highlights you utter lack of comprehension of the issues involved.
  • Options
    Are you denying that it will? Come on Clandestine. I can see being loyal to your country or adopted country, but be honest too.
    There's well-paying jobs to be had in this and why shouldn't the UK get something in return for what it's giving up. Actually, why should the UK give up anything. The EU has achieved 0 growth so far this year. Not so the UK. With America as its allie, London is an important financial center. You mean to tell me it's just a coincidence that Frankfurt will be setting the interest rates for the continent and that that will have NO affect on London's stature? A little honesty please.
  • Options
    Do I sense a little jealousy about the UK being a full member of the EU and about to ratify its position within the organisation? Perhaps you would prefer America's friends and 'cousins' to ditch those European bastards and join DAFTA...
  • Options
    My comments have nothing to do with loyalty to any one country. the fact that you persist in making such ridiculous comments continues to underscore what little you even know about the EU itself.

The UK isnt joing the EU pnj, it has been a full member since 1974 (year of ratification of the accession treaty). Once again, this debate about the Euro has nothing to do with prestige and everything to do with simple economic realities.

If you refuse to go educate yourself with credible source material on both the nature and role of the EU, the positions of the member states in the decisionmaking process (especially the long time concessions made to the UK in terms of opt outs and rebates) and what the likely effects on the UK economy would be by adopting the Euro (rather than Murdoch's longrunning spin and lies on the matter), then i really have little interest in continuing to respond to your willful ignorance.

Al> oh yes, join NAFTA :rolleyes: An entity which has demonstrated even less economic and cohesion benefits for its non-US members than the wildest derogatory claims by pnj about the EU. Not to mention the fact that The UK couldnt even remotely be called part of North America (thus rather ill qualified to join a North American Free Trade Association. :lol:
  • Options
    No. Join the EU...but make the EU benefit the UK...not Belguim in terms of jobs and statue.
  • Options
    There are more Brits working for the EU institutions than Belgians. Go educate yourself and cease from speaking out your arse as you regularly do.
  • Options
    There are more Brits working for the EU institutions than Belgians

And when they get off from work they spend their money where?

Case closed. Move the HQ to London and let Belguims be employed in London and spend their money in the UK.

And I wish I could talk out of my ass. That would be toooo cool.:hyper:
  • Options
    You truly are a sad and hopeless case. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    sad and hopeless case.

Happy, hyper and hopeless. That I'll take.

You know I have a good point Clandestine.:p
  • Options
    No actually you dont. You merely persist in ridiculous presumptions of who benefits out the EU and how, without knowing the first thing about how EU affairs are conducted or which member states receive the largest share of the EU's budget expenditures.
  • Options
    It's nice to see pnj flying the UK flag and attempting to salvage our 'international stature' though :D
  • Options
    Had to look up your flag there Aladdin. Then found it was the EU's. Would look very nice over their headquarters...in London.:lol:

I crack myself up. :thumb:
  • Options
    That you did not recognise the very flag of the EU, while at the same time pretending to know the nationality of its employees, how much they earn or how well would the UK be served by hosting its HQ says it all, really.

But you might be interested to know that the ultra right-wing press, first in line the Murdoch 'newspapers', will not allow the EU flag to fly in this country. Let alone have its HQ here.
  • Options
    Due to banking systems and the likes, it'd be most likely that either Brussels, Luxembourg or Zürich, were home of the EU headquarters.

pnj, as an European I am frankly not eager to change that.
  • Options
    And actually Jacq, Luxembourg does house some of the EU's instutional staff. It is one of the three working centres (Brussels, Luxembourg, Strasbourg).

Zurich would be out of consideration given that Switzerland is not a member of the EU.
  • Options
    know the nationality of its employees

Aladdin, missing the point. You want over 56 million people to give up their currency...HQ headquarters will have many well-paid people from all over there who will spend their money near where they work...why shouldn't it be in London?

Jaq. I hate Switzerland. How could anyone be "neutral" regarding Nazis. Plus they weren't really neutral cause they laundered stolen Nazi loot.

I'm just spreading the sunshine today...I know.:lol:
  • Options
    And yet you fully support the fascist agenda of the Bush administration.

Pnj's credibility rating = 0..... Bonnnnnnnnngggggggg! Next contestant!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    No more so than Luxembourg's has and its been a financial capital far longer than London.

You really know zip about Europe. Go get a proper education and come back when you at least have a clue.

But London has the largest stock exchange in europe. In terms of market capitalisation, only the NYSE is bigger.
  • Options
    And Monocrat the truth is revealed: Clandestine and company want London to be degraded further as a financial capital.

And answer my point: The HQ brings with it jobs to the area in which it is built. Clandestine wants to ensure those jobs are not brought to London. Better, people from many countries all come to work, live and spend their money in his area. You are so not an American.

"proper education" You don't even sound like one.

Why go back to histories of banking. Let's talk today: 0% growth in the EU so far this year.
  • Options
    Mono, the stock market and the banking sector are two separate entities. True London has the largest stock market, it does not however have a larger international banking business than Luxembourg's.

pnj, still talking out your arse about things you know absolutely nothing about. waffle on little man, maybe theyll give you a talk show on Fox with all the other mindless know nothings on that channel.