Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Guantanamo Bay: Execution chamber to be built?

As the US government's disregard for human rights and the Geneva Convention continue to fly in the face of the international community, reports last weekend indicated that the US is planning to build a Death Row area and execution chamber for its prisoners.

Should this be true the US government will sink to a new low.

In line with the best rogue states the world has produced, the US administration appears to have decided these prisoners are guilty of still non-existent and unspecified charges, and in amazing Mystic Meg-like clairvoyant powers has foreseen the judge sentencing a number of men to death for the said non-existent charges.

If you thought human rights and the Geneva Convention couldn't be violated any further by the US, think again.

Never mind that most probably not a single person detained there was actually implicated directly in the 9/11 attacks; never mind that many of those men don't even belong to Al Qaida, and are only guilty of defending their country against a foreign invader. Apparently being a member of a terrorist organisation or fighting US soldiers in wartime is not sufficient to warrant the death penalty.

The US government seems more than happy to be in the same select 'club' as China, Saudi Arabia, Burma or Zimbabwe. If 'freedom' campaigners and 'rogue states' crusaders are looking for their next target, they only need to look at Dubya and co.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    and the US public would allow a death camp? I doubt it.
    Judging by the reactions of most American posters here, much of the US public would only be too happy to have those people executed.

At the end of the day many don't object to minors and the mentally disabled to be executed at home, so why would they object to foreign "terrorists" being murdered?
    Most of my fellow countrymen are so thoroughly drenched with half truths and spin from the alarmingly compliant domestic news media that most don't have a clue what's going on anyways.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if word of this reaches most of the country or, if it does, that it wont also be accompanied by sensationalistic reminders of 9/11 (as if the Guantanemo prisoners were all part of the planning) in order to inspire sufficient bloodlust to give the admin carte blanche once again to perpetrate its fascist evils.

I do so hope that shocking revelations one day emerge that it was the admin and not foreign terrorists who conceived of 9/11 in the first place and via one or more government agencies (Pentagon, CIA?) carried out the act. Perhaps then the addage "by the measure you judge so shall you be judged" will befall the members of the Bush camp and see them imprisoned, tortured and executed according to their own heinous standards without trial or appeal.

That would be justice!
    Anyone still there, is a creep who would kill Americans if ever allowed out. I hope the message is out that if you're going to randomly kill Americans, you're not going to hide behind laws designed to protect civilized people.

I love that we have the base in Cuba and have publisized how extremists will be treated.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Anyone still there, is a creep who would kill Americans if ever allowed out.
    Oh yeah? What makes you say that?
    I hope the message is out that if you're going to randomly kill Americans, you're not going to hide behind laws designed to protect civilized people.
    Not that the above is going to deter a suicide bomber is it?
    I love that we have the base in Cuba and have publisized how extremists will be treated.
    So you like the fact that the US government is sending the following message to the world: "We are a brutal regime. We are a rogue state. We hold prisoners illegally and against the Geneva Convention without charging them with anything for 2 years, to be followed by a quick military trial and summary execution. We are not much better than Iraq under Saddam, or than Saudi Arabia, or than Burma."

Do you think such behaviour will encourage or discourage further attacks on Americans?
    Just a few more thoughts, Muslims were killed in 9/11 too.

Think of all of the good people who want to immigrate to the West who are being harrassed now because of these few extremists.

Any Muslim in Cuba who could be trusted to fight for us...is in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq. So the ones left must be hateful.
    I really don't know where you got the information about dozens or even hundreds of Guantanamo prisoners joining the US army. It seems extremely improbable to be honest. Can you provide a link? Or do you have exclusive access to CIA files the rest the world doesn't?

And do you think a Taleban fighter would want to join the US forces to spy for its enemy in other countries? Can you blame him for not wanting to?

There are hundreds of people there whose only crime is being soldiers of a brutal regime and defending their country. Those people shouldn't even be prisoners, let alone face the death penalty for daring fight the invading forces of the US army.

I see that "my country right or wrong" is something most Republicans defend vigorously. Funny how they would like to punish citizens of other countries who believe in the same principle with death.

Think of all of the good people who want to immigrate to the West who are being harrassed now because of these few extremists.

Any Muslim in Cuba who could be trusted to fight for us...is in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq. So the ones left must be hateful.

WTF are you talking about with regards to ex-Guantanamo people being used as agents, have you any proof and if it is so surely just because those left in Guantanamo aren't agents doesn't mean it is because they love the US any less(:rolleyes: ) but because they wouldn't be as useful.........

people who emigrate are being harassed because of our authorities not because of Muslim extremists.........
    Its just another step towards the American Government seemingly turning some of its laws like to that of a totalitarian state.....

wel in my opinion im just trying to become a bit more active round here
    Guess Rumsfeld learned more from his time spent dining with Saddam in the 80's than the American public has been made aware of.
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Its just another step towards the American Government seemingly turning some of its laws like to that of a totalitarian state.....

I don't think so. A totalitarian state represses its own citizens whereas this is a situation of repressing other peoples.

The people of the US could stop this by making it an issue and voting for someone who could stop 9to be simplistic)
    But Toad, you overlook the DHS and the Patriot Act which has given the federal government the latitude to spy and use private data of the citizenry to further its own ends.

I suggest you go do some searches on google for the alarm bells that have been going off about just how far the powers granted to it by these developments could be used against their political opponents or the average American.

The power to collect and utilise secret evidence and conduct secret trials is not restricted to a few hundred prisoners rotting away in Cuba.
    I think that it is a good idea to keep the terrorists locked up so they can never escape , ever.

I disagree with the death penalty , however.

They should be confined , for a terrorist , this is a far worse fate.
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    But Toad, you overlook the DHS and the Patriot Act which has given the federal government the latitude to spy and use private data of the citizenry to further its own ends.

I suggest you go do some searches on google for the alarm bells that have been going off about just how far the powers granted to it by these developments could be used against their political opponents or the average American.

The power to collect and utilise secret evidence and conduct secret trials is not restricted to a few hundred prisoners rotting away in Cuba.

I know, I was simply talking within the context of the subject of executions in Cuba.
    And given the fact that all enquiries as to the nature of these detainees or what their alleged crimes are is kept classified, how can you so be so sure that they are terrorists?

With your thinking, I hope you never run afoul of some fatcat politican's interests and get unjustly branded a terrorist. With no recourse to a fair and open trial or access to any supposed evidence against you in order to prepare a defence you too could rot away whilst smug armchair analysts point fingers at you and claim "he must be guilty of what they claim".

Far too much presumption of trust for what these leaders are dishing out to the public and far too little scrutiny and investigation of their own actions by the public. All in all, a fertile soil for the furtherance of propaganda and the abuse of power.
    Do you know what the Democrats have to say on the issue?
    From what ive heard they are starting to wake up and present some opposition, but by and large the atmosphere in the US remains so politically stilted that direct attacks on the supposed goodness and rightness of the Bush admin and its policies are still being met with such mindless labels as treason and Anti-American. :rolleyes:
    But do you think this is an actual reflection of the American mood? Or are people being 'tricked' into supporting these things, do people actually know or care what their govt is doing, surely they do in a country where so much information is available?
    Well you can see from much international commentary that the concerted propganda and spin efforts of the Bush admin have indeed taken their toll on the general US public. Issues blurred, vital aspects of key issues withheld from public knowledge, an administration which has already refused to cooperate with even Congressional investigations into its behind the scenes activites all add up to a shroud of secrecy that is undermining accountability and the democratic safeguards intended to prevent such wanton abuse of power.

Whether the public is slowly waking up to these facts remains to be seen in next year's elections I suppose.
    Indeed, I haven't heard a lot about the Democrat nominee though.......
    There are currently 7 or 8 democrats vying for that spot. THis early on there is never just one nominee, we havent even had the Party primary elections yet.
    Indeed, hope they get someone decent, kick Bush out!
    I was concerned that we were being to light on terrorists. On 9/11, two Muslims were set to take a flight from Pittsburgh to San Francisco. All flights were canceled. They had purchased one way airline tickets to San Francisco even though they had lived in the Pittsburgh area for years. That, and the fact that they were Muslims, were why the FBI sought them. They took a train south and were picked up in St. Louis. They had hair dye and box cutters with them.

They were in solitary confinement for almost a year and recently released. They are now back in their native country: India. Free to attempt to kill again?
    But you don't know that they wanted to kill anyone, I assume they have been released because they could not be found guilty of anything.

You are aking the wrong questions, you should be asking why two men wounbd giulty of nothing were detained for a whole year, does that not disgrace you?
    does that not disgrace you?
    No. It made me feel safe. Now that they are back in their region where Muslims and Hindu's fight, it worries me.
    LOL. Presumably if any person of Muslim/Arab background in America was to be imprisoned and you felt safer for it, that'd be an acceptable price to pay.
    No. It made me feel safe. Now that they are back in their region where Muslims and Hindu's fight, it worries me.

so potentially innocent people being locked up with out reason makes you feel safe, what do people being Muslim pose a threat to you PNJ? Havnt you noticed there are fanatical religous zealots through out the United States? Do they scare you?
    Do you know what the Democrats have to say on the issue?
    Toadborg

Democrats are trying hard not to come off like they are soft on terrorism. They've focused on hitting Bush at his weak point: the economy.
    anyone who isn't becoming concerned or even a little frightened by now of bush and his bandits, needs their tiny little minds looking at. go back three years and no one could have imagined america ...the great beacon of hope and freedom being run by a bunch of bastards like this lot. international respect for america and it's peoples, is evaporating fast. international law is on the verge of crumbling. it makes me laugh when you lot talk about,
    'the next elections', as if you believe it is gauranteed there will be any! if there are any we know they will have been stitched up anyway so dubya and his boys will still be in power.
    WAKE UP AMERICA ...you have become a one party state. before you were only nearly a one party state.
    the media laws are being rapidly changed so that one person or group can own all the information you get to see. is this ok as well at making pissinthepot feel safe?
    america disgusts me at the moment and a few million more people. if western people are becoming angry, fearful and disgusted by america ...how the hell do you think those who were already verging on radical anti americanism are feeling.
    america is sick. very very sick.
    i honestly believe this administration are going to be mighty americas downfall. the american people will end up fighting in the streets amongst themselves in a financialy and moraly ruined landscape.
    and yes ...a lot of people have been toying with the idea that right wing americans are responsible for 9/11 possibly with the direct knowledge of the bush and bin laden family partnership.remember oklahoma ...right wing americans ...but libya got bombed for it becuase america had proof it was libyans!
    I don't know if you are aware of this true incident with Al Qaeda Aladdin. But the first group that bombed the WTC in the early 90's were put on trail and convicted. While in prison, one guard was going out of his way to be nice to one of the prisoners. The Al Qaeda prisoner had fashioned a sharp object out of plastic. When he got the opportunity, he drove it so hard into the guard who was being nice to him...and left himself open to attack...it went into the guard's brain.

So when I see Al Qaeda bound by the ankle...etc. I think good they government is protecting our guys lives.

Over-all, I do believe any information the military released about Cuba was done to let militants know they aren't going to hide behind laws that were designed to protect citizens.