Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

How loud is your computer?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We're all here because of this wonderful machine, but as these little beasties get faster they also get louder.

Turned on my sistser's old AMD K2-6 and it's wisper quiet, but my AMD Athlon sounds like it's a plane going to take off!!

I even flung a towel over it to lessen the noise, anyone else have this problem?

Anyone have a MAC? I bet they are well quiet!!

Comments

• Options
    Me got's a laptop so it ain't that loud.
  • Options
    my sister stole the speakers from this computer to put on hers...

so my puter is fecking silent.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShInE
    Me got's a laptop so it ain't that loud.

My laptop used to be a little loud, but then replaced the old harddrive with a new hard drive - one with fluid bearings, now it's almost silent.

As for my desktop I've done a few things to make it a little quieter like remove the CPU fan and replaced it with a slower but much larger fan.
  • Options
    my one at home sounds like a light aircraft
    at work - I don't notice it
    but that must be the sound of my fingers hitting the keys all the time - (and 1xtra playing)
  • Options
    Does anyone's PC interfer with the TV Signal? Mine affect's channel 5 - get lines on the TV appear on channel 5 only. Although I think the problem is made worse because I have a lead going from the back of my pc to the TV so I can watch DVD's played on the PC on my telly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Does anyone's PC interfer with the TV Signal? Mine affect's channel 5 - get lines on the TV appear on channel 5 only. Although I think the problem is made worse because I have a lead going from the back of my pc to the TV so I can watch DVD's played on the PC on my telly.

Talking of interference .. I used to hear the clicking noise in my TV speakers from my mobile phone just before it was about to ring, or occassionally in the middle of the night, but now it never happens and I have about 3 mobiles in my room .. wonder why it stopped happening ?
  • Options
    I have 4 fans on my new computer - i can hear it alll through the house.... but i can't turn it off cause its the server for our network... grrr
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    I have 4 fans on my new computer - i can hear it alll through the house.... but i can't turn it off cause its the server for our network... grrr

There might be some things you can do, what are the 4 fans for?

I have 1 fan for the CPU (replaced from original by a larger, slower and quieter fan)

1 on the Chipset heatsink

2 - in the Power supply.

However also have slot for 3 removeavle hard drive and each has a fan on the front - damn noisy buggers!!

I've removed the fan on the main hard drive and only install the other 2 when needed.
  • Options
    Mines usually ok, it just gets louder when burning cd's, or when playing cd's. Basically, when using cd's i guess! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonShiner
    Mines usually ok, it just gets louder when burning cd's, or when playing cd's. Basically, when using cd's i guess! :D

I used to have a well dodgy CD ROM Drive - years ago when 20 speed was super fast, anyway you had to wait until this CD ROM Drive stopped spinning completely before pressing eject - otherwise the thing ejected it whilst the cd was still spinning, it would then put a huge circular scratch on the CD making it useless and then fling it across the room for good measure!!

As for hard drives if you get a new one and want it quiet always go fo rthe fluid bearing ones they are so much quieter. I just got rid of a Maxtor drive that was really an Quantum (but maxtor bought quantum and renamed them all) and it was like a dentist drill. It drove me nuts with the noise - now I have seagate drives which are so much quieter and I like they way they are totally sealed all the way around unlike every other drive I've seen that leaves the electronic exposed.
  • Options
    Quite noisy.
    The main noise is the processor fan.

I'm expecting a delivery of 80mm fans soon.

iMacs are quiet, in contrast, PowerMacs are noisy as hell.
    I think people get sucked into them now and again.

My friends computer is water cooled...which is interesting.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    iMacs are quiet, in contrast, PowerMacs are noisy as hell.
    I think people get sucked into them now and again.

:lol:
    now that explains why I don't hear from our graphic design dept. for weeks on end!
  • Options
    Mines not too noisy unless i use the CD-ROM. i Got a Duron 1.2 Ghz and it really dont make that much noise
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    :lol:
    now that explains why I don't hear from our graphic design dept. for weeks on end!

:D

Graphic design's become a dangerous job since Apple bolted more fans on...
  • Options
    I find the Heatsinks with the copper base really do a good job of keeping the CPU cool.

I removed the fan from mine and put a system fan over the heatsink. Works just fine on my AMD Athlon XP 1800+

Now I think the major noise comes from the System power supply which has two fans, but one of those fans sits directly about the CPU and such away heat so I'm not too keen to change it seeing as I've already changed the CPU Fan.

I did stick some foam padding in the cavities (it's a big tower case) and that has also helped with the noise generated by the power supply..
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I find the Heatsinks with the copper base really do a good job of keeping the CPU cool.

I removed the fan from mine and put a system fan over the heatsink. Works just fine on my AMD Athlon XP 1800+

Now I think the major noise comes from the System power supply which has two fans, but one of those fans sits directly about the CPU and such away heat so I'm not too keen to change it seeing as I've already changed the CPU Fan.

Yeah, copper is good...very conductive :D

I've got a 2200+ which seems to require a large amount of cooling. :/
    Very quick, which is nice, but very whirry.

Papst and YS-Tech fans are apparently pretty good.
  • Options
    If AMD had stuck with their slot design I reckon they could have done a lot more to make quieter PC's since they could have produced the whole CPU / Heastsink and Fan in a single unit.

But it's not just the fannoise - my friend's CPU fan is loud enough, but it causes the whole case to vibrate - it's driving him crazy!!