Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Third World

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
People in the Third World are dying of starvation, don't you think the government should do more about this situation,they waste alot of money on things but use alot as well correctly.

Comments

• Options
    Sure we should help more.
    We could do that by getting rid of all the beaurocracy.
  • Options
    we must look after our own country first. We have people on the streets and living rough. people living in poverty so look after them and if there is some money left then spend it there.
  • Options
    Yea i agree,but this country is still in a bit of a mess but it has some excellent qualitys.
  • Options
    there is more than enough money to tackle all the worlds problems. some poeple are awash with money. i have no problem with some having lots more than others but wealth can become obscene whilst our fellow men are dying in the dust.
    the real problem is that in our comfortable little world we realy don't give a shit.
    a billion pounds plus on the millenium dome ...that billion could have bought enough medicine and clean water to have a massive
    impact on millions of peoples lives. thats just one of the wasted billions. as individuals we are brainwashed to want jeans that cost a small fortune and the latest this and that. for what? does an expensive pair of designer shades and jeans realy improve our lifestyles or does it scream out SELF SELF SELF!
    it's reckoned that we produce enough food to feed eight times the population of the planet ...the truth is few of us comfortable people give a flying fuck about the worlds problems beyond giving it lip service now and then.
    consume consume consume ....own own own ...self self self. me me me ...seems to be the message. we are going to consume ourselves out of existence with this insanity that we see as normality.
  • Options
    Governments have spent Billions on third world development and got it drastically wrong - The Green Revolution. We need to help the third world develop in a sustainable way (unlike our messy, convoluted and inefficient development). Progress is not always the answer.
  • Options
    The Green Revolution was a massive success in India. Within a few years they became self sufficient in food grains.
  • Options
    Many of the third's world problems are self-inflicted.

Take Africa. It's not the West's fault that there has been a lot of political instabilty and war. The West does not also inspire African nations to possess corrupt governments.

The third world needs to help itself in addition to receiving aid from the West.
  • Options
    There has been a campaign running for many years now- the 0.7% campaign. Experts have said that if all industrialised countries donated 0.7% percent of their annual GDP Third World poverty would be wiped out.

Is this too much to ask? Apparently so according to most governments. I think there are only a handful of nations (if that) that contribute the required amount. Most give just a fraction of it- in stark contrast to their defence budgets, which often amount to many times the amount asked to eradicate poverty.

God bless these charitable, Christian governments and their generosity. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    We'll send them food aid , it gets taken by governments and stored in warehouses defended by armed police , they use it as leverage over the populace.

Send them cash , and it will go straight into the leaders Swiss bank accounts.

Africa is like a bottemless well , no matter how much aid you send , things dont seem to get much better.

Perhaps a different strategy is needed.
  • Options
    I agree that the level of corruption in many African governments is shocking.

However 'first world' countries should help more, if not with cash contributions at least with free medication and other such aid. It is sickening that so many preventable diseases are killing children because no one will cough up the money needed to buy vaccinations to everyone.
  • Options
    As MacK said: Give them a fishing rod, instead of the actual fish.
  • Options
    the capacity to REALY ...care as individuals would solve most of the worlds problems. but lets face it, few of us do.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    The Green Revolution was a massive success in India. Within a few years they became self sufficient in food grains.

Leaving them dependent on buying new grain from companies every year and leaching their soil of its nutrients? Great success! It has made places like India more dependent on the west.
  • Options
    Leaving them dependent on buying new grain from companies every year and leaching their soil of its nutrients? Great success! It has made places like India more dependent on the west.

Erm , no. India was self sufficient in rice and wheat after the green revolution. It even had enough left over to send aid to Ethiopia during the famine.
  • Options
    Many of these Third World countries are attempting to achive better standards of living. But the main problem that they face is they have only one or two major industries such as coffee, cotton, sugar cane etc. and hardly any processing facilities. It is only after the raw materials have been processed that they can make big money, and nearly all processing occurs in developed countries.

A huge problem is that fact that all of the western countries who advacate opening up the markets of 3rd world nations do not open up their own markets so goods can flow both way. Added to this the huge subsidies given to farmers in the USA and Europe (such as CAP), which encorage them to over produce. These goods are dumped on 3rd world market at rock bottom prices and mean that native farmers only achive minimal prices. It might not be so bad if maybe these farmers were able to sell their goods in western countries, but due to are hypocritical double standards, they must remove all tariffs in order to get loans from the world Bank, yet because we are wealthier and basiclly control the World Bank and International Monetary Fund we can keep ours in place.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Perhaps a different strategy is needed.

which would be?
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    the capacity to REALY ...care as individuals would solve most of the worlds problems

but as Mr Roll said earlier
    the truth is few of us comfortable people give a flying fuck about the worlds problems beyond giving it lip service now and then

Yes africia is a bottemless pit for aid, but we shouldn't use that to defend not doing anything
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Many of the third's world problems are self-inflicted.

Take Africa. It's not the West's fault that there has been a lot of political instabilty and war. The West does not also inspire African nations to possess corrupt governments.

The third world needs to help itself in addition to receiving aid from the West.

Actually European imperialism is much to blame for the current political problems in Africa....

If you create a country utterly artificially then it is bound to have problems.......

Good points Another Statistic.......
  • Options
    I don't believe so. Colonialism ended long ago.

India was a colony of Britain once, yet it is more successful than most African nations.

Imperialism may have initially hindered African nations but that in itself does not lead to political instablity.
  • Options
    According to rock stars who create well-known fund raising events, another problem is institutions like the EU who do nothing to help against the famine on the Horn of Africa. That was on Yahoo today.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    According to rock stars who create well-known fund raising events, another problem is institutions like the EU who do nothing to help against the famine on the Horn of Africa. That was on Yahoo today.
    your just a rightwing american flag waving anti european ...you know nothing.
  • Options
    Pro UK....all the way!
  • Options
    I think that mr roll is right about nobody giving a fuck,because people are mostly concerned with their everyday lives and take things as it comes but i think if the government and more organistations made a greater attempt to promote their cause then i think people could work with it,like concerts,many many concerts and football games.
  • Options
    Yeah, we can't rely on our governments to do anything unless we put pressure on them. However few will actually do anything.

A friend of mine in Spain has spent many a cold night camped out outside the Spanish Foreign Office for the 0.7% campaign, as well as attending every last demo, leafleting out, etc. Hats off to people like him.

pnj, as per usual you are talking ignorant bollocks about the EU. The 0.7% target was set as long ago as 1970 by the UN. To date "only Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Luxembourg and Netherlands have reached 0.7%." The UK is nowhere near that.

I couldn't find any data about the US contribution, but I suspect is nowhere near that either. But then again, poor oppressed America needs every penny it has for its "defence" budget, $400 billion at the last count.

You were saying again about the EU?
  • Options
    Denmark are in the top :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Denmark are in the top :D
    tell the people of denmark to shout about it jaq. shout loud. make an issue out of it and maybe embaress other countries into doing something.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    tell the people of denmark to shout about it jaq. shout loud. make an issue out of it and maybe embaress other countries into doing something.

Unfortunately many Danes, feel that we should cut down, or at least make the growth of help stop :(

I think we're a good example of a country which functions relatively well (there's always room for improvement), while still being able to doante large sums.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Pro UK....all the way!
    QUOTE]Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Pro UK....all the way! [/QUOTE] you'll be changing your tune soon enough surferboy ...the british people are not mindless fucking flag wavers. the people here will not ...NOT ...let our government be dragged along into more american madness.
    your defence budget is so massive, you WILL ...be getting conscripted into the armed forces soon. fodder is going to be needed big style boy to drive all that machinery and fire all those bullets so you can kiss fucking goodbye to any easy modern 21st century lifestyle you were led to believe was coming. you are going to be fodder boy!
    the brits will not be with you. will you still be patting us on the head then?
  • Options
    In praise of Denmark:

I went on holiday there last year and I was truly amazed. All plastic bottles are recycled, wind farms dot the countryside everywhere, All the hotels I stayed in were energy efficient and/or zero emission, the streets are clean, graffiti free and the cycle path network is breathtaking. AND they still manage to contribute 0.7% GDP to the third world.

Congratulations, how do they manage it?
  • Options
    lets face it do we think money in the world can be evenly distributed? NO :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    In praise of Denmark:

I went on holiday there last year and I was truly amazed. All plastic bottles are recycled, wind farms dot the countryside everywhere, All the hotels I stayed in were energy efficient and/or zero emission, the streets are clean, graffiti free and the cycle path network is breathtaking. AND they still manage to contribute 0.7% GDP to the third world.

Congratulations, how do they manage it?
    It's all cause of my Goddessly presence :D