Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

i was conned good and propper!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
10 yrs at school being told there were 240 pennies to the pound.
hammered in day after day. 240 penny chews for a quid!
12 inches to the foot, 3feet to the yard and so on. i left school in 1968. they decided in 1969 that there were only a 100 pennies to the pound and there was no such thing as feet and inches!
can i sue?

Comments

• Options
    Re: i was conned good and propper!
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

can i sue?

Who's Sue?
  • Options
    Re: i was conned good and propper!
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    can i sue?

Go for it. Just make sure than when you get your £100,000 pay out that you ask for it in old conversion. That would give you 24,000,000 pennies or £240k in todays cash. :p :rolleyes: :confused:
  • Options
    Re: Re: i was conned good and propper!
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    Go for it. Just make sure than when you get your £100,000 pay out that you ask for it in old conversion. That would give you 24,000,000 pennies or £240k in todays cash. :p :rolleyes: :confused:
    i didn't see that one coming!
    imagine it happening to you lot though ...a whole generation of kids totaly unprepared! from 12 pennies in a shilling, 20 shillings to the pound, 21 shillings to the guinea, two shillings and sixpence = one halfcrown. 8 half crowns to the pound. four crowns to the pounds, 10 florins to the pound. talk about confusing! that stuff was hammered into us day after day after day ...only to find it was a lie...
  • Options
    But if we go all EURO is that not what's gonna happen. (I'm not even gonna pretend I know what the hell I'm talking about with the Euro cause it doesn't really interest me. Politics, pah!)
  • Options
    The thing is the old £sd currency wouldn't have worked for much longer - after the inflation we had in the 70s and 80s it would have just been an annoyance. For example with a shilling equalling 5p my Daily Mirror would cost me 6s2d instead of 32p and a tenner would be £1! (My maths isn't good enough to even attempt what a £100k payout would be in old money!)