Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

House Guests - Wanted and Unwanted

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone ever had a guest forced upon them or had someone come to stay for a while that turned into ages?

Have you ever been one of those people?

My cousin came to the UK from Canada after getting a six month placement in London so he came to stay with us, no problem, we enjoy having him around. However that 6 months has turned into almost 3 years now!!

He works such long hours and then goes up north on the weekends practically every weekend to do more work so we hardly see him. But we don't have any dedicated space for him, he sleeps on the floor and shares a cuboard for his stuff.

we all enjoy having him around, we only wish we had a bigger house so he could have a room of his own. He's looked at moving out now, but rent in London is enourmous and he's already maxed out several credit cards.

On a lighter note I recently met an old friend of my aunts and she told us about this girl. The girl was mixed race and the father didn't want to acknowledge the girl. So she lived with her mother, then her mother died so she lived with the father's mother (her grand mother). Then after some years she died so she went back to her father and he didn't want to know at all.

So she then went to her local Mosque and asked someone for help and advice, anyway this person told my aunt's friend and she told the girl - never mind come stay at my place for a while - I don't have a spare room or bed but we can put a matress on the floor - anyway this girl ended up staying 7 years until she recently finished school and got a place of her own. I think to take in a total stranger for that long is pretty amazing and the women's help probabaly turned that girl's life around.

So anyone got any house guest stories?

Comments

• Options
    i havnt, but this makes me think of the Father Ted episode "Entertaining Father Stone" :)

Ill assume people know what im on about:p
  • Options
    a mouse and his family in my shed. emily wants me to evict them.
    i want them to stay. the young are quite fearless now as i have been feeding them. she doesn't know that bit.
  • Options
    I know what it feels like.
    My mums friend had an infestation so she came to stay for a week then a month then 3 mnths my mum finally chucked her out because she nearly set the house on fire with her smoking then she got another chance. she left the gas on and went out while we were visiting my nana and papa, we came back to find the door broke down and a policeman at the door saying that the f/brigade had to break the door down. She went mental and made her friend pay for damages and threw her out and hasnt spoken to her since.:shocking:
  • Options
    emily ...been here bloody years. just because she married me she seems to think she lives here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jamie_S
    I know what it feels like.
    My mums friend had an infestation so she came to stay for a week then a month then 3 mnths my mum finally chucked her out because she nearly set the house on fire with her smoking then she got another chance. she left the gas on and went out while we were visiting my nana and papa, we came back to find the door broke down and a policeman at the door saying that the f/brigade had to break the door down. She went mental and made her friend pay for damages and threw her out and hasnt spoken to her since.:shocking:

What do you mean she had an Infestation?? Would could it have been that kept her at yours for 3 months - killer termites??

Wouldn't breaking the door down in a gas leak cause sparks that could blow up the house?? Isn't there any central shut off point for gas out side the house? I know our gas meter is outside the house and it can be turned off from there - but it used to be inside the house many years ago until we had it moved.

So who alerted the police about the gas leak?
  • Options
    It was a big joke when I was at school that I was the girl whose Gran had come for Christmas and stayed 2 years! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    It was a big joke when I was at school that I was the girl whose Gran had come for Christmas and stayed 2 years! :rolleyes:

A Gran is for life, not just for Xmas!!

p.s. wanna tell us more of the story sounds interesting ....
  • Options
    I have two friends Nicky and Steph. Steph's mum chucked her out so she went to go stay with Nicky. She was supposed to be there for a few days but it ended up as weeks. Thing is one night they had an arguement and Nicky was violently attacked by Steph, so she had to leave.

That's the only thing I know of.