Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

rape victims forced to look at dead foetuses

No, this isnt some Third World country breaking every moral rule in the book, this is Republican America.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,961894,00.html

What kind of sick person would decide that, just when a rape victim is at her most truamatised, that what she really needs is to be told shell get breast cancer and shes a murdering whore, as opposed to, say, getting help and comfort. The person thats currently sitting in the White House thats who- not only is HIS party pressing for this law in texas, he is also appoiting judges to the Supreme Court with the sole intention of overturning Roe v Wade.

With religious rednecks like this running the USA, its easy to see why the Moslems are beginning to feel that its a Christian Crusade. And its going to leave us in a lot of mess. Not least of all for the poor women made pregnant by a rapist, who have to look at dead foetuses before they can get rid of what they want rid of.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's disgusting, utterly shocking. The decision to have an abortion is undoubtedly one of the hardest decisions some women have to make. To expose them to false scientific claims and photos of foetuses in desperate attempts to force them into a decision, that in some cases, would be wrong - that is cruel and insensitive. Such measures make more women, especially younger ones, try to abort the baby themselves - which can kill in some cases. I've seen pictures, very disturbing.

Seriously, America has fucked-up morals - they're telling people abortions increase your risk of breast cancer whilst a large percentage of the population are increasing their risk of cancer and heart disease because they're obese and continually feeding themselves junk food. They're telling people it's wrong to have an abortion, but it's ok to have guns which can kill people.

And yet my government and a disturbingly large percentage of my countrymen see nothing amiss in pontificating on the evils of everyone else in the world.

An era of great shame and contrition is on its way, and hopefully the nation will finally shut these fundamentalist fanatics out of any future role in the governance of our nation once and for all.

Send them all to Iran and let them square off against the extremist Muslim hordes I say! Maybe then we could be rid of two evils in one fell stroke!
    thats just sick, America is getting more and more f**ked up as the days go on. Its basically propaganda right?
    What do you mean by its all propaganda? What are you referring to, the fact that its happening or that so much of the nation seems to go along with this narrow minded BS?
    Holy insanely emotive thread title batman..

Kermit, you should go into politics, or at least into tabloid press..That horribly misleading thread title is a work of art :) Also impressive how you managed to tie muslims in with your post.

As for the article..I dont know enough about the medical aspects here..Does abortion increase risk of breast cancer? Do they label cigarettes over there? Surely, if the risk of breast cancer is higher, the doctors have a duty to tell their patients?

Although it does seem that they are doing it simply to scare the women...and the pictures of dead foetuses is beyond the pale
    :mad:
    Does abortion increase risk of breast cancer?

No, even without the article pointing out that fact as confirmed by medical research professionals, it is an absurd and all too typical right wing fanatical religious fear mongering tactic to simply further impose the zealots' repressive will on the whole nation (state by state if need be).
    Do they label cigarettes over there?

Yes they do. Ever tried finding a place to smoke in the US without having some knob trying to preach at you or chase you off?

Can't even smoke in bars anymore, how absurd is that? :rolleyes:

Ive even been informed that in some states they are trying to make it illegal for people to smoke in the comfort and seclusion of their own cars, even without other occupants.
    Surely, if the risk of breast cancer is higher, the doctors have a duty to tell their patients?

If it was a credible risk than yes, but this is merely a scare tactic by the religious right wing.

And pnj thinks its the land of the free! :rolleyes: It wont be for much longer if the majority keep catering, as he does, to the whims of these authoritarian bastards. :mad:
    I actually fully agree with the american policies on smoking in public...Wish we could do it here.
    In certain public places fine. But i suspect that like many so called medical claims about this or that, the idea that a bit of second hand smoke, especially outdoors in the open air where it would be perhaps 1 part in 10 billion parts air, is highly unlikely to be any credible causal factor in increasing someone else's risk of cancer.

Just the other day I heard a comment on a televised news magazine that new evidence is emerging that the claims of cancer risk from second hand smoke may have been grossly exaggerated in the US over the years for political reasons. I can believe that more easily than the claim that a wee bit of smoke off the end of my ciggy in the open air is gonna kill someone else.

Notwithstanding that, with all the highly polluting toxins currently in the air we breathe from irresponsible and sheer profit driven industrial plants, our governments should be tackling those far more toxic issues than adding further restrictions on individual liberties that are not likely to be doing any significant harm to anyone but the smoker him/herself (if the political interests were stripped away from the issue and true unbiased medical research made available to the general public).

Of course, I rant as one who has freely chosen to smoke and find much more tolerance and sensibility on the matter here in Europe than in my own supposedly "free" country.
    Outside is fine..beer gardens and out on the street, no problem..but in bars, pubs and restaurants id love to see it banned.

To be honest, the cancer issue of second hand smoke isnt my primary concern...Its being covered in foul smelling smoke, causing my clothes to stink, my whole body to stink. Causing me to cough horribly and generally have a shit night.

Anyway, i think im hijacking this thread so ill shut up now and let people get back to this terrible rapee abuse.,
    It should only be fair that doctors in Texas also show the women images of the consequences of not having an abortion in unwanted pregnancies... Often a love-less life of poverty, misery and hate for both the mother and the child...

This measure is utterly disgusting but unfortunately part of a pattern showing the influence and power of the American Christian Right. How long before American women have to flee to Europe or Canada to have terminations? I must say that America is starting to get closer to a theocracy than a democracy.

P.S. incidentally, the Daily BlackMail published that bollocks report about cancer in Britain, giving it the front page treatment and all that. Every last cancer organisation and the Medical Council were appalled that the rag had treated the report as 'fact', and worthy of the front page, but why let the truth get in the way of a good chance for agenda-pushing?
    This measure is utterly disgusting but unfortunately part of a pattern showing the influence and power of the American Christian Right

All too true, Al. Especially when you also consider the massively hypocritical fact that these same self-righteous fascists work themselves to the bone to ensure that no proper sex education is provided to our youngsters in the public school systems. This means, they aren't allowed to be informed about birth control beforehand nor can they expect any nurturing medical consultation and/or relief once they are confronted with the trauma's implicit in teen pregnancy.

Lets just tell them that they are damned to eternal hellfire if they give in to their natural hormonal urges and then attack them further when youthful mistakes threaten to ruin their entire lives.

Land of the free, indeed! pffffffft! :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    What do you mean by its all propaganda? What are you referring to, the fact that its happening or that so much of the nation seems to go along with this narrow minded BS?

the fact that what they are actually saying to scare people into not having abortions...

....please forgive me if im getting confused though
    Yes, in that case it IS propaganda, Renzo. Nothing more nothing less.

Thanks for clarifying your reference. ;)
    Re: rape victims forced to look at dead foetuses
    Originally posted by Kermit
    No, this isnt some Third World country breaking every moral rule in the book, this is Republican America.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,961894,00.html

What kind of sick person would decide that, just when a rape victim is at her most truamatised, that what she really needs is to be told shell get breast cancer and shes a murdering whore, as opposed to, say, getting help and comfort. The person thats currently sitting in the White House thats who- not only is HIS party pressing for this law in texas, he is also appoiting judges to the Supreme Court with the sole intention of overturning Roe v Wade.

With religious rednecks like this running the USA, its easy to see why the Moslems are beginning to feel that its a Christian Crusade. And its going to leave us in a lot of mess. Not least of all for the poor women made pregnant by a rapist, who have to look at dead foetuses before they can get rid of what they want rid of.

Well they're either very wrong or very right.

As in, if god exists then they'll become angels and stuff and please the almighty creator enough to get into heaven, and are doing his work. If they don't then theyre horrible horrible freak people. I guess we'll have to wait until we die to find out...but then we won't find out if god doesn't exist :o

Thats the most annoying thing about religion and death. It'd be so much better if after we die, we're conscious for about 10 minutes or something, and told "there is no god", so that the religious people can see theyve wasted their lives fucking around with Bibles and Korans and Sanscrits and stuff, but as it is when they die they don't even realise that they were wrong :(
    I think its outrageous and sickening. The only connection i can see with abortion and breast cancer, is to do with breast cancer being more common in childless women, or mothers who bottlefeed their babies. Breastfeeding protects mothers against cancer quite a lot, and childless women or bottlefeeding mothers dont get that level of protection. That is the only connection i can see, that a woman having an abortion would be denying herself the benefits of breastfeeding. Its a pretty stupid reason to go ahead with an unwanted pregnancy though.
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Kermit, you should go into politics, or at least into tabloid press..That horribly misleading thread title is a work of art :) Also impressive how you managed to tie muslims in with your post.

Why thank you;)

Its all just part of a wider occurrence of the Christian fundamentalists in the USA tightening their grip upon the corridors of power. The Bush brothers are notorious right-wing zealots, and it was merely a random aside that its no wonder so much of the world think the wars in the Middle East are some Christian crusade.

As for the looking at the pictures, I dont think thatmy "headline" was too misleading- just slightly omitting some facts. A job at The Sun awaits...:p
    Kermit far more of concern than even Bush is John Ashcroft who is in charge of Justice matters in the US. This man is a total mindless zealot and also happens to be a Pentecostal Preacher, hows that for separation of church and state eh?

Ashcroft in his time as a Senator tabled more liberty restricting amendments to the US constituion than had been tabled in all the time since the establishment of the Constitution. Fortunately most of those tabled were thrown out, but it clearly underlines his authoritarian disregard for the values of liberty upon which the US was founded and the supreme inappropriateness and irresponsibility of his appointement to the post in the first place.

Im telling you, I am so sickened by what this administration is covering up for and getting away with that i pray every day they will fall from power and be subjected at some future point to the most thorough investigation into their professional and private activites that any individuals (politicians or otherwise) have ever been subjected to in the history of my nation.

Then after giving them a trial according to the application of the mechanisms for secret classified evidence to which they and their defence attorneys would have no access (as they are denying it to others since the USA Patriot Act and the DHS were instituted) they would be summarily taken out and hanged as traitors to the nation and to the Constitution as they so rightly deserve.

Following this a complete scrapping of the Patriot act, the DHS and any other policies instituted by these corrupt fascists since they regained the seat of power.

Now that would be justice, and perhaps restore both dignity and integrity to my country once again.
    I think in any medical situation it's important people are given true and complete facts and alternatives.

For instance my Dad when in for a basic operation and as they were about to do the surgery the surgeon says to him, "oh we've found a hernia as well, shall we fix that at the same time?" so he said OK, what the surgeon didn't tell him was you'd be off work for 3 months afterwards.

He works for himself but had he a fulltime job he could have lost his job, failed to meet mortgage payments, etc. What a dumb surgeon not to warn about the condequences. My Dad was in such pain for many months. Also there is an alternative keyhole surgery that means the person can go back to work the next day, but hospitals often like to perform the old method cos it's good training for trainee doctors. Never mind what's good for the patient.

Also you hear of people who had relatives in accidents and they are only kept breathing by machines and none of the doctors wants to mention the possibily of organ donation. The the families find out later that at least some good could have come out of the accident but it's too late - the organs are now useless.

I think it is only right for people to be told the whole facts in abortion, because once they get rid of the baby they might regret it for their entire lives. I say better to make an informed decision as long as all the facts presented are done in a fair manner - i.e. both showing pros and cons of aborting.
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    ok, fair enough diamond geezer. but that ain't what's happening. national and international cancer research has refuted the claim that abortions increase your risk of breast cancer. do you think that somebody interested in joining the army should sit through highly emotional footage of bombing and mine victims, then be told that as a result of joining up he would have a vastly increased risk of contracting testicular or prostate cancer?

another thing i would like to know is how developed the foetuses in the photos are when they are shown to the women. when most abortions are carried out there is nothing there but a tiny ball of cells - it looks nothing like a baby, is nothing like a baby. so i'm guessing that the photos show much more highly developed foetuses than most of the women are actually carrying, in order to frighten them into changing their mind.

Actually the comment about having to watch videos of bombing victims, etc I think sounds like a good idea, the American solders in particular are very trigger happy. Look at the gulf war, how many British solders were killed by Americans?

I don't know what the average number of weeks are when most women have an aborton, all I could see on one website was that most are performed when the fetus is less then 9 weeks old.

Anyway was interested to see what the futus looks like at various stages as you mention a collection of cells and to me at 9 weeks it looks a lot more then a simple collection of cells. Have a look and see what you think.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_fact.htm

http://www.bioscience.org/atlases/fert/images/figures/fetuses.jpg

This last link has some interesting data - says approx 46 million women have abortions every year - wow I never even thought it would be that high!!

http://www.agi-usa.org/pubs/fb_0599.html
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Actually the comment about having to watch videos of bombing victims, etc I think sounds like a good idea, the American solders in particular are very trigger happy. Look at the gulf war, how many British solders were killed by Americans?

Yeah... "Oh there's a British soldier, why isn't he dead yet?"
    Bush............ stay out of mine!

I find Bush's policies on abortion and reproductive rights in general extremely frightening. I know a few pro-choice activists via livejournal, and there has been an uprising of the pro-choice movement in universities and such. I'm not sure if people have been following this
    "This bill is aimed at establishing that a fetus in utero is a human being and has human rights."

A human being? Yes of course. But I see it as a way in trying to overturn Roe v Wade.

:(
    Im not being stupid here, but how exactly is a foetus a human being? It has the ability to become a human being, at some point in the future, but thats like outlawing masturbation for killing all those helpless innocent sperm, or outlawing hysterectomies to prevent the death of those eggs. Its ridiculous.

It cannot exist without its mother until a certain time, and that point IMHO it become a human. Its like trying to prosecute someone who gets rid of worms for cruelty to animals.
    Well it depends on people's definitions etc but if you're interested, here's mine...

I see a human being as a member of the Homo sapien species.

However in terms of pregnancy etc, although a foetus may belong to this species it is not a person; sentient. And initially, it is dependent on it's mother during the various stages of development, and I do not believe at any point during this time, does it have legal rights, nor does it take precedence over the mother's life.

I've edited to add that I'm interested in other people's definitions of what they see as a human being, person etc

I hope I've made sense, I'm afraid I've got into a lot of arguments with pro-choicers over what the beginning of life is etc. I'm stating that these are my beliefs + I've had a lot of words put in my mouth in the past :)
    It cannot exist without its mother until a certain time, and that point IMHO it become a human. Its like trying to prosecute someone who gets rid of worms for cruelty to animals.

If someone can no longer survive on their own, are they no longer human? IE, someone who required a life support machine to live?
    I think if they are 9 weeks gone then yeah showing them pics of a 20 week fetus is unfair, however 9 weeks don't look like a a collection of cells - if a girl is say 4 weeks gone then perhaps shoing them a picture of a 4 week old fetus is fair??

But 46 million abortions a year shocked me, I can't think of a better reason for the prevention rather then cure argument. I wonder how many of those are due to things like teenagers not knowing about the birds and the bees and finding out only when it's too late, or condoms breaking, etc
    Im not being stupid here, but how exactly is a foetus a human being? It has the ability to become a human being, at some point in the future, but thats like outlawing masturbation for killing all those helpless innocent sperm, or outlawing hysterectomies to prevent the death of those eggs. Its ridiculous.

That time it can exist outside of it's mother's womb is getting shorter everyday as medical science evolves.

Some might say that abortions should not be allowed after the number of weeks a fetus can survive outside the womb and stand more then a 50/50 chance of surviving. Although this figure will keep on dropping as the technology and drugs gets better.
    Some might say that abortions should not be allowed after the number of weeks a fetus can survive outside the womb and stand more then a 50/50 chance of surviving. Although this figure will keep on dropping as the technology and drugs gets better.

According to the BPAS, in 2000 (I can't find any more recent stats at the moment), the majority of abortions in the UK were carried out between 9 and 12 weeks. Only 1.5% were carried out after 20 weeks, but I thought at this time the majority of them were carried out due to foetal abnormality, or being life threatening to the mother :confused:?

I think if science and technology was progressing at such a rate, and later term abortions (and perhaps earlier ones were banned), then the law would have to change too, making it easier for women to get earlier abortions, for example getting it on demand instead of having to justify herself to 2 doctors (who also have the power to delay the process if they object to it on the grounds of conscience.) However, I'm not sure of the availability of chemical abortions to women in the UK. Also, if abortions say, after 20 weeks were made illegal, then surely exceptions would have to be made anyway e.g if it was going to kill the mother etc, so would the number of late term abortions really go down? :confused: