Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Learning to drive

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does it get easier? My dad took me out tonight and it ended in the biggest argument. I can't seem to get the hang of slowing down. Too many things to think about! It looks easy when I watch other people do it! It's so scary when these cars go flying past you and you feel like you're going really fast.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Learning to drive
    Originally posted by Starburst
    Does it get easier?

It does for some people.

My dad took me out tonight and it ended in the biggest argument.

This is why people pay large amounts of cash to driving instructors. Family can be really the worst teachers.

I can't seem to get the hang of slowing down. Too many things to think about!

Check mirror. Apply brake. Really not that much.

It looks easy when I watch other people do it! It's so scary when these cars go flying past you and you feel like you're going really fast.

I want a flying car. :(
  • Options
    This is why people pay large amounts of cash to driving instructors. Family can be really the worst teachers.

I have an instructor too, my dad just takes me out for extra practice.
  • Options
    I agree with mist
    Family can be the worst to learn from.

My dad went out with me of an evening, we came back fighting often. You tend to disagree on everything.

I would think he is not helping me enough, but he thought he was helping me buy making me get the solution myself, the problem is it made me more likely to crash :/
    It might not get easier, but it can get better
  • Options
    My instructor's son is 17 and learning to drive, but my instructor isn't even teaching him, he's getting one of his instructor mates to do it!

Something I found pretty funny and just goes to show how impossible it is to be taught by ur family!
  • Options
    Don't worry, i passed 4th time :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Belive me it does get easier! Driving lessons are one of the worst things in the world! :yes:
  • Options
    I personally didn't find learning to drive difficult, but I can understand why many people do, and it will get easier. Some people are born drivers and other people learn.

Don't worry about it, you aren't alone, and you will get better at it. Try to relax and see it as something fun to achieve.

I would recommend ditching your dad though! Think how you would feel if you crashed or something! Better to learn in a car with dual controls - just incase! :)

Good luck, I am positive you will get better! :)
  • Options
    Re: Learning to drive
    Originally posted by Starburst
    Does it get easier? My dad took me out tonight and it ended in the biggest argument. I can't seem to get the hang of slowing down. Too many things to think about! It looks easy when I watch other people do it! It's so scary when these cars go flying past you and you feel like you're going really fast.

If you have a driving game on your PC you can practise at home!!

When I first passed my test I was still nervous and never even put the radio on for months because it was distracting me and I was still so new to driving .. now I have a MiniDisc player and 7 speakers in my car so I got over it!!! LOL!!

The best advice I read about was this
    "Look at where you want to go, not at the things you want to try avoid hitting"

What happens in driving is that if you look at something you'll subconsiously start steering towards it. So if you're looking at this big wall and trying not to hit it, you'll start drifting towards it.

It all takes time, my dad had a 4 speed car for ages and then got a new one with 5 speed and he kept forgetting to use it.

I had the same problem when I got my car which has 6 speeds - although you don't tend to use the sixth gear much.

My other advice is - if in doubt - WAIT - go when you are ready and sure, had two accidents myself by not waiting long enough - although in the 2nd incident I hadn't sleep for two days solid and this played havoc with my mind and concentration.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Learning to drive
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

The best advice I read about was this
    "Look at where you want to go, not at the things you want to try avoid hitting"

That is proberly the best advice that i have heard.

And i agree with everyone else, Family is a BIG NO NO!!!

Just take your time and relax * i know easier said than done *

Ans YES is does get easier, I used to hate driving, i hated my leasons and practicing, cause i was no good. But now 10 months later and my b/f is calling me his little "Shummi".

:p
  • Options
    My dad's teaching me, and we get on really really well. The best thing to do is start in a car park, and just practice starting and stopping and stuff. Once you get the hang of that, the road's a lot easier :)
  • Options
    It does start getting easier after practise, my dad took (Hopefully I'll have passsed my test in three hours!:nervous:). me when I first started learning and we got into rows, so he stopped, now I know better he takes me again - and no rows.

The advice from DiamondGeezer is good.

Also dont rush things, just go at your own pace, even if they do come screaching past you - speed comes with practise.:)
  • Options
    It took me a year and 2 months to pass, but a line of duff instructors was to blame. I was forever arguing with my parents, always insistent that I was doing it right. However, long drives with them can help you a great deal, I did something like a 3 hour drive to my gran's (dad took over at motorways, of course ;)) several days before my test and passed on Christmas Eve.

Mind, it can put people off a great deal, especially if you're forever swapping cars.
  • Options
    I agree with what people have said about being taught by parents. I used to dread going for lessons with my Dad, but I really enjoyed my time with driving instructors.

Yes it gets easier, but you never stop learning. I still make the occasional mistake two years after passing my test. When I first started driving a white van, it was a whole new experience because it is impossible to see what's over your shoulder due to the lack of windows. I was scared of changing lanes on dual carriageways for some time because I inadvertantly cut up a truck on my first solo outing in the van. :eek:

DW
  • Options
    i hate learning to drive (this comes from the girl who cant stand her car cause it doesnt have power steering and nearly drove into a hedge :D)

i hate my instructor so im ditchin him

and i have a mobility problem (called hypermobility) and get pain when i drive

so learning is a barrel of laughs for me :crying:
  • Options
    I'm learning to drive soon. :D

I'm so scared. The other day my dads mate wanted to test his brake light on his automatic merc, so i sat in the hot seat and he said press the brake... i said 'Which ones the brake then?' and he said 'oh Lisa stop messing about and just press the brake' i was like 'No seriously, i havent got a clue.' He just looked at me. Then told me it was the left hand one.

So yeah i think i need to start learning. :/
  • Options
    im learning soon too!!

my first lesson is on wednesday!!!!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    He just looked at me. Then told me it was the left hand one.
    That is why you learn! Many non drivers wouldn't have a clue - why should you? Don't worry about it! Remember though, in a non automatic, that pedal will be the clutch!
  • Options
    Originally posted by pie
    i hate learning to drive (this comes from the girl who cant stand her car cause it doesnt have power steering and nearly drove into a hedge :D)

I prefer not having power steering, as it is easier to tell which way the wheels are pointing, even if it makes it harder to park. However my new Rover does have power steering, but it is very tight unlike the PAS on a Vauxhall Corsa which feels like it is connected to the wheels with jelly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    That is why you learn! Many non drivers wouldn't have a clue - why should you? Don't worry about it! Remember though, in a non automatic, that pedal will be the clutch!

Yeah the brake will be the middle one in a manual, oui?
  • Options
    Yeah the brake will be the middle one in a manual, oui?

Yep. From the left: clutch; brake; acc ('gas' as instructors like to call it).
  • Options
    Ooo, thanks mobily.

It the gears i'm scared about coz like, i dont know how to use them. Its just a moving stick to me. Hehe.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    I prefer not having power steering, as it is easier to tell which way the wheels are pointing, even if it makes it harder to park. However my new Rover does have power steering, but it is very tight unlike the PAS on a Vauxhall Corsa which feels like it is connected to the wheels with jelly.

I know what you mean in terms of wheel direction, my latest car has electric power steering which feels totally different to hydralic steering - it's good though once you get used to it.

Power sterin makes such a huge difference in parking and 3 point turns, etc. I actually think of it as a satefy feature because it frees up you mind from having to wrestle the steering wheel.
  • Options
    Yeah, before I learnt to drive, I worried about not knowing when to use each gear. With hindsight, it was silly - they're simple to use.

Roughly:

1st gear - when you stop or are moving very slowly, such as pulling up at a junction and you can't see anything - move out slowly.

2nd gear - moving faster - change down to 2nd if you need to slow down because, for instance, a parked car.

3rd gear - on roads, etc.

4th gear - generally on straighter roads at a faster speed

5th gear - on straighter roads, such as motorways, at a faster speed.

You know what gear to put it in at the time.
  • Options
    Ooo, thanks mobily.

It the gears i'm scared about coz like, i dont know how to use them. Its just a moving stick to me. Hehe.

That is why u would learn.
    U'll get used to it with practise.

U move up the gears as u drive faster, and down as u get slower, basically
  • Options
    Thanks, i'll keep that in mind.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Klever
    That is why u would learn.
    U'll get used to it with practise.

U move up the gears as u drive faster, and down as u get slower, basically

Ooo, thats sounds quite simple. :D
  • Options
    It is simple – there's not much to it. Just remember to very regularly look into your mirrors when doing anything - before moving off; signalling; changing speeds; applying the break; stopping; overtaking; etc.
  • Options
    hope this works:

1 3 5

2 4 R

that is like a map of the gears

it can also look like this sometimes:

R 1 3 5

2 4

My instructors car had the second one, I was in a Corsa, I don't like it cos the reverse gear is all odd.

U push down the clutch, then move the big stick (gear stick) into the one u need, U then sorta push the gas down, and clutch up to make the car move, easy. U start in 1st to make the car begin moving. But u'll pick i all up when u start learning
  • Options
    Originally posted by Klever
    R 1 3 5

2 4

the 2 and 4 should be over to the right by one place
  • Options
    I probably prefer power steering than non-PS, but I drove my ex. girlfriend's car (manual) quite a bit and it was still light. I guess it depends upon the age of the vehicle.