Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

If you made the laws what would you change ....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If I made the laws I'd remove VAT on smoke dectors (to make them cheaper) and make a law that everyone had to have at least one in their house in case of fire.

.. I'd make any car that could acieve 100 mpg VAT and Car Tax free to encourage manufacturers to build more environmentally friendly cars

.. I'd make sure every child was taught in high school how to perform CPR

.. I'd have a national shut down week once a year where everyone has to stock up on food and not go out in their cars - just stay at home and watch TV or walk places and then use that time to do all the country's road building and repairs and get it all over and done with in one week rather then have roads works for the entire year slowing down traffic and making life hell

.. I'd make the london underground run until at least 2am on fridays and saturday so we could go clubbing and come back via the train instead of paying those over inflated taxi fares.

.. I'd introduce a national volunteering scheme so that everyone who wanted to could donate upto 1 day per month to do volunteer work in their community - this would lead to hundreds of millions of extra man hours of volunteering a year that could be used to totally rebuild communities.

.. I'd fine pubs and clubs that were too smokey

.. I'd put GPS trackers on buses so you could log on the internet and see how long it is before your bus comes to your stop

.. I'd make the buses free in busy town and cities so the drivers don't waste time collect fares ans giving change and holding p the traffic behind it.

.. I'd create an Island for prisioners and give them the choice to live there instead and serve their sentence

.. I'd stop McDonald's selling burgers unless they look just as good as the ones on the pictures - not all squished by some spotty teenager working in the back!!

.. I'd stop million of money from the national lottery being wasted on the arts and to build big tents in Greenwich.

.. probably more but can't think of any at the moment!!

Comments

• Options
    Most of the people who run the tube would gladly run it over night if they could. Its not as simple as that, there is work that needs to be done on the tube, thats the only time that they have to do it. I'd suggest with the problems of earlier this year work on the tube is preaty important.
  • Options
    Re: If you made the laws what would you change ....
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    .. I'd create an Island for prisioners and give them the choice to live there instead and serve their sentence

i dont agree with that one mate, if prisoners are prisoners (apart from flaws in the justice system) its there because theyve done something wrong and hurt somebody in one way or another be it emotional, physical, economical etc... they dont deserve choices...

I think that id make drugs from natural sources (not chemical speed, X etc) legal when bought over the age of say 18 from a shop or something.... theres loads of arguments for and against it but i think its our human right--but, im sure loads of u would disagree about that..
  • Options
    decriminalising cannabis is the only thing i can think of off the top of my head.
  • Options
    I'm not sure things like opium, DMT, ibogaine and others are really the kinds of things I lay open to the general public.

As I've said before I really dont think we are ready for anything else to be legit than weed, and that should be legalised and not decriminalised.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I'm not sure things like opium, DMT, ibogaine and others are really the kinds of things I lay open to the general public.

As I've said before I really dont think we are ready for anything else to be legit than weed, and that should be legalised and not decriminalised.

good point **reminds herself that there are more natural drugs than just the few that she does**

i take that law back... but cannabis def!

im not even sure about mushies etc either now...
  • Options
    The problem would be that there are a lot of drugs that are technicaly naturaly occuring but are chemicaly made.
    GHB or DMT for example.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    The problem would be that there are a lot of drugs that are technicaly naturaly occuring but are chemicaly made.
    GHB or DMT for example.

yeah of course....

but theres so many things that at one stage were naturally occuring but are chemically made..

i was thinking much more simplified..

but i changed my mind hehe...:p **so fickle**
  • Options
    Well then, we're all aggreed.
  • Options
    If I made the laws I'd remove VAT on smoke dectors (to make them cheaper) and make a law that everyone had to have at least one in their house in case of fire.

This already applies to all new houses...
  • Options
    I'd ensure that homeowners who kill intruders/burglars on their property are not punished. The burglars shouldn't be on people's property in the first place, then they can sue if they get injured?? The world has gone PC-mad. :mad:
  • Options
    What was I saying about compassion?

If you aggree with the home owners 'right' to kill who ever comes on their land then surely this extends to capital punishment for all tresspassers. Because this is what it is.
    I am truely mystified when I hear comments like this, do you value property over human life so much?
  • Options
    legalise cannabis and prescribe heroin ...hey the government are actualy moving in that direction at last.
  • Options
    The people that are trying to break in can't value someone else's property very much can they? Trespassers wouldn't have compassion for you, and have no right to be there, then complain when people are trying to defend what's rightfully theirs. I so suppor Tony Martin.
    Don't mean to argue Bongbudda, sorry!
    It irritates me though, when all the people doing wrong seem to get rewarded, and victims get nothing. You almost do better in this country if you're dishonest.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Luce
    I'd ensure that homeowners who kill intruders/burglars on their property are not punished. The burglars shouldn't be on people's property in the first place, then they can sue if they get injured?? The world has gone PC-mad. :mad:

surely if the government passed that law then it would head in the way of the US and the government would be allowing us to have a gun in the house to help protect it? .. luckily, its very unlikely that we would be able to legally kill intruders... and to be honest, if the British government ever did allow that then i wouldnt be sticking around in the UK to see the consequences...

is it worth killing somebody to save some property?
  • Options
    I'd stop million of money from the national lottery being wasted on the arts and to build big tents in Greenwich.

Yea i agree, theres too many tourists in ma home town now... As though we didnt already have enough touristy things here...
    Dont get me wrong, i dont mind so much, its just i could do with being able to walk somewhere without being stared at or stopped by a tourist asking where the frickin' Royal Observatory is or summat... :mad:
    And i went to the Dome, got bored not even half way round... At least i can say i went though...right? :rolleyes: Waste of money... soooo couldda gave it to the NHS or summat, lets face it, it needs it...
  • Options
    They spent almost a £1 Billion on that tent .. I think not only was it a really stupid idea (but then again most people in power are stupid)
    But it was an unfair way to spend the money, how does the world's largest tent in london benefit someone in scotland, wales, midlands, etc?

I would have taken that Billion quid and perhaps divided it in 100 and built 100 community centres worth £10 million each around the entire country to benefit ordinary people from all over the UK not just in London.

At least with something like that it would mean old people have somewhere to go during the day and teenagers have somewhere to go after school and on weekends.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx

So im sat in my house watching T.V, I hear something and go investigate. When I walk upstairs someone pushes past me, knocks me flying so my hubby gets hold of the intruder. The intruder obviously is very worried and starts kicking ten barrels of shit out of my hubby, so I grab my heavy frying pan and wack him over the head and he is knocked unconcious, then his condition could deteriorate during the night, possibly result in him dying.

Now although it probably wouldnt happen but this type of scenario could happen. I didnt want to kill him, I was scared stiff because you dont expect a burgalar to break in while your there. He'd knocked me flying and then started on my hubby, so for my safety and my hubbys safety I hit him over the head with the frying pan. I had no intention of killing him, i just wanted him to stop kicking my hubby. I would have phoned for the police but imagine seeing your hubby been beaten by an intruder in your house, i just wanted him off and to get out.

What would you have done in that situation ?
    I think in the majority of cases family always comes first. you wouldnt think "oh I cant hit him because I might kill him" because at the end of the day any normal person would try to save the one they love from getting a beating by an intruder and you wouldnt have wanted anyone to die, you would just want to stop them from going any further.
  • Options
    The double jeopardy(sp?) law
    legalise cannabis
    legalise prostitution
    id defo think about making the sex offenders register open to parents
    abolish student loans and give everyone the opportunity to learn
    ban all animal baiting
    id bring in Sarahs Law RIP
    llok into getting rid of all fake asylum seekers and anybody linked to terrorism would be straight out
  • Options

Originally posted by lil_minx

no but id protect myself in whatever means I could. My intention would never ever be to kill but it is there fault if it happend.
  • Options
    Property owners do, of course, have the right to protect their property, themselves and their family, which the law accepts, but they must act reasonably under the circumstances. If, for instance, the burglar says ‘fair cop, mate; I give up’ and you proceed to beat him up, then clearly that is totally unreasonable behaviour under the circumstances. In contrast, if the burglar takes out a knife and starts swinging at you with it, it will undoubtedly be acceptable to take action to prevent being injured yourself, to protect your family or your property. Therefore, you can act but it is only lawful if it is reasonable which, I think, is most just.

The question arises of how, during a burglary and confrontation, you can know what is ‘reasonable’ behaviour under the circumstances when you might be protecting yourself, your family or your property. Therefore, it is retrospective: you can only really decide what is reasonable after the incident has occurred because your first priority would understandably and unquestionably be protection.

Several of you said that you would not intend to kill the burglar.

For there to be murder, there must be a dead body and it must be proven that you had ‘maliaceaforethought’ – i.e. the intention to kill or the intention to cause grievous bodily harm (very serious harm). As such, you could still be tried for murder if you intended to cause him or her GBH, so long as he or she later dies (I think within 3 years) from the injury.

During the trial, the defence may raise a defence of either dimininished responsibility or provocation (or suicide pact, but that's irrelevant here), the latter of which being particularly relevant. If the judge deems either defence to be relevant under the circumstances, the murder charge might be reduced to voluntary manslaughter (there is a dead body and you still have maliceaforethought, but you can raise one of the three defences).

Sorry if that's complicated to understand.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Decriminalise all drugs and at the same time increase drug awareness and education amongst kiddies.

I don't agree with making criminals out of people that use drug recreationally and sensibly when they commit no other crimes, pay their taxes and contribute to society the same as everyone else.

I don't agree with making crimmianls out of addicts - it's help they need not punishment. i.e heroin on precription, clean needles, areas to inject etc. Dealing heroin would be a very serious offence.

Decriminalistion of drugs like ecstasy will offer grteater freedom to people who want to test their drugs. Legalisation would enable companies like ICI to produce very clean safe pills.

Legalisation of weed!

Drug driving and other offences commited while on drugs, would carry severe punishments.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The people that are trying to break in can't value someone else's property very much can they? Trespassers wouldn't have compassion for you, and have no right to be there, then complain when people are trying to defend what's rightfully theirs. I so suppor Tony Martin.
    Don't mean to argue Bongbudda, sorry!
    It irritates me though, when all the people doing wrong seem to get rewarded, and victims get nothing. You almost do better in this country if you're dishonest.

Rewarded?

By being shot in the back?

i poersonally wouldn't feel very rewarded...:confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    Decriminalise all drugs and at the same time increase drug awareness and education amongst kiddies.

I don't agree with making criminals out of people that use drug recreationally and sensibly when they commit no other crimes, pay their taxes and contribute to society the same as everyone else.

I don't agree with making crimmianls out of addicts - it's help they need not punishment. i.e heroin on precription, clean needles, areas to inject etc. Dealing heroin would be a very serious offence.

Decriminalistion of drugs like ecstasy will offer grteater freedom to people who want to test their drugs. Legalisation would enable companies like ICI to produce very clean safe pills.

Legalisation of weed!

Drug driving and other offences commited while on drugs, would carry severe punishments.

im with you on this, set your own party up, ill vote for ya :wave:
  • Options
    when all the people doing wrong seem to get rewarded, and victims get nothing.

That is total nonsense.

Contrary to what you might think, mere trespassing is not a criminal offence and thus you cannot be prosecuted for it. Instead, it comes under civil law (tort) for which you can only be sued. So you could, in theory, sue a burglar that trespasses onto your land, in addition to there being a prosecution for the burglary under criminal law. Therefore, it is possible for the victim of a trespass to receive compensation (damages) for it.
  • Options
    I'd introduce a national volunteering scheme so that everyone who wanted to could donate upto 1 day per month to do volunteer work in their community - this would lead to hundreds of millions of extra man hours of volunteering a year that could be used to totally rebuild communities.
    This already exists.

Also, Becky - in your scenario I would wonder why you had a frying pan upstairs with you. If you went downstairs to get one then this shows intent.
    id bring in Sarahs Law RIP
    :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    This already exists.

Also, Becky - in your scenario I would wonder why you had a frying pan upstairs with you. If you went downstairs to get one then this shows intent.

them in oyur house shows intent!!! pretend she said vase.

and why is Sarahs Law funny? Do you know what I mean?:confused:

:)
  • Options
    My friend at uni had a GTi and one night some guys came to steal it, he heard them trying to break in and had a weightlifting bar in his bedroom, about 5 feet long and solid metal.

He caught them in the act and smashed their car up and all the windows, unfortunately they sped away - but I bet it taught them a damn good lesson and hopefully gave them one hell of a scare - the police came around and were pretty supportive of my friend as long as they didn't catch the guys, otherwise he was told they could probably press charges against him if they were hurt in anyway.

I think the 3 strikes and you're out law in the USA is pretty good idea, one guy got something like 10 years in prision for stealing a slice of pizza from someone, this was because it was his third offence. The idea is that you should have learnt your lesson by the first two times and if there's a third you go down for a long time!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    them in oyur house shows intent!!! pretend she said vase.

Yes, if someone is in a house, they probably have direct intention (a person intends a consequence to occur if it is his aim/purpose/what he means to happen). But this doesn't mean that the home owner has intention, as you are suggesting.

If a home owner went downstairs to get the frying pan, then this person probably has direct intention, as BumbleBee suggested. If, however, he or she picks up the vase from within the bedroom, then it could be oblique intention (where the defendant's ultimate purpose, desire or aim was something other than the prohibited consequence which he has brought about).

So they MUST be considered seperately because they're two different offences.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    Yes, if someone is in a house, they probably have direct intention (a person intends a consequence to occur if it is his aim/purpose/what he means to happen). But this doesn't mean that the home owner has intention, as you are suggesting.

If a home owner went downstairs to get the frying pan, then this person probably has direct intention, as BumbleBee suggested. If, however, he or she picks up the vase from within the bedroom, then it could be oblique intention (where the defendant's ultimate purpose, desire or aim was something other than the prohibited consequence which he has brought about).

So they MUST be considered seperately because they're two different offences.

I wouldnt look at what she had actually done it with though, be it running downstairs and fetching something or picking up a vase...she is still protecting her husband...hurting/killing a burglar to stop an innocent being hurt/killed is fair in my book.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

No it wasnt actually upstairs, when I went upstairs he pushed past me as I was going upstairs, I then fell down thus making me fall into the kitchen, because our stairs lead into the kitchen. Id been frying sausages for our supper so the frying pan was on the cooker. when I saw him having a go at my hubby I just grabbed the first thing I could to hit him, to make him get of my hubby :)

sorry for the confusion :)