Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

enduring love

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone else doing it for their english at AS this year?

what quotes have u learnt? we were told we need about 5 but i dont know what ones to memorise :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Oh god I did coursework on that book for a whole term...
    so anything you want to ask me about it I might be able to tell you. I take it you're doing the modern prose exam then, not the coursework?
    um the essay question I did for coursework was...

‘A novel that begins with a scene unsurpassed in this year’s fiction for heart-thumping suspense…McEwan compellingly dramatises and analyses varieties of love, from romantic to domestic, parental to pathological’ Peter Kemp, Sunday Times
    How successfully does McEwan present this thriller of pathological love?

Um I think it's difficult to memorise quotes for an exam to fit around any question, you could perhaps pick out some general ones like on the main themes. For example the Clarissa says of Jed,
    ‘Some poor fellow has a crush on you and is trailing you about….At worse it’s a nuisance.’
    showing how, like most onlookers on the situation, Clarissa sees it as a comical infatuation rather than a pathological obsession posing a threat.

Perhaps also,
    ‘I’d had the idea that Clarissa’s interest in these hypothetical letters (of Keats) had something to do with our own situation, and with her conviction that love that did not find its expression in a letter was not perfect.’
    (said by Joe)
    I think this line is important because it shows how Clarissa lacks Jed's faith. We expect Clarissa and Joe's love to be the obsessive type but it is in fact Jed's letters which contain surprising justfification of real love.

The examiners won't expect you to use quotations from the book in a closed text paper, although 1 or 2 could score you bonus marks. If I were you, I'd learn a few quotes from critics, I find they are much more useful and you'll hit the assessment objective of including other readers opinions. There's quite alot of literary criticism on the net about Enduring Love, even if you just look on amazon.co.uk at the book reviews. Some quotes I found interesting and used in my essay were:

‘Enduring Love is a worthwhile attempt to view the irrational through the lens of the rational.’ - Cressida Connelly

‘he (McEwan) has an extraordinary talent for humanising potentially unpalatable characters.’ - Michael Mewshaw

‘McEwan offers the scientific and the emotional, to frame the range of responses to the inexplicable mysteries of love, pathological or otherwise’ - Elizabeth Judd

Hope this helps a bit...PM me if you want to know anything else.
    Good luck with it :)
  • Options
    thank u :) thats really helpful!

we did king lear for coursework so enduring love along with chaucer and 'the glass menagerie' are in the exam

im quietly confident but it will help me to know a few quotes from enduring love :)