Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

For the Mancs! THE HAÇIENDA

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi folks!! I'm only 17 at the minute so I never really go to know all of the real Manchester life in the 80's.

I've got into the music and the scene through my brother who is 22 now but even he was a little too young at the time.

Are there any people out there who were around at that time from Manchester and if so, is it all what it was cracked up to be?

Especially the Hacienda night club, the best club in the country,was that really as good as what the people said?

Get back to us plz

cheers
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I was in Manchester from 88-91 and went to the hacienda. it was probably not it's boom time, although it was during Acid house. I stood on the podiums and blew my Whistle but Joy division and The smiths were dead and buried by then.

Manchester in general was a cool place to be but at the time I hated all the baggy stuff. its only now that I appreciate stuff like the Happy Mondays and stone roses.
  • Options
    The Hacienda club - wasn't there personally but heard loads about it, ran from 1976 to 1992 by Tony Wilson (Factory Records)

New Order, Joy Division, Happy Mondays... names which will ring true to most and a club which many believe brought Ecstasy to the masses (forget the Oakenfold @ Heaven or Danny Rampling coming over from Ibiza to treat a gymnasium full) and no one drank booze anymore.

It gave Manchester the nickname of Madchester, but unfortunatly like all clubs with drugs come dealers and with dealers come gansters and it all soon spiraled out of control and in 1992 with debts of half a million it was all over...

... if your interested you should check out the film "24 Hour Party People", its supposed to be a close realistic account of just what it was like

:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Justin Sane
    you should check out the film "24 Hour Party People", its supposed to be a close realistic account of just what it was like

Wicked film :)
  • Options
    fao frapestyle

I wasn't there, just doing the equivalent clubs in Bristol. I have read an excellent book recently called Manchester,England by Dave Haslam (one of the Hac DJs at the time). The book covers about a hundred year period of Manchesters social history and the chapters on the club are definitive.