Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Animal Farm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Has anyone rea goerge orwell's book? Because I have my english literature on wednesday and I need to find out about how it ties in with communism and the russian revolution. Any help would be much appreciated.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I have read it.
    To see how it ties in with communism, did U actually read the book?
  • Options
    This might be useful. But haven`t you done it already when you studied it originally?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Klever
    To see how it ties in with communism, did U actually read the book?

That's what I was gonna say! Isnt that kinda the whole point? :p
  • Options
    I've read the book and I have a very brief idea of what it's about, but I missed almost all the time we covered the book, I was off school.
  • Options
    quote from animal farm....all animals are equal it's just some are more equal than others...this is really a view of life from george orwell who took a communist view on life. he disliked the fact that some people had more than others because they hjad decided that they wanted it that way etc. he took the view of the pigs being like humans in the high up powers of the russian revolution that said they were all equal when it was very obvious that they weren't.
    does this help?
    The Silly String
    ps it was a year since i did gcse english!! gd luck
  • Options
    Tis about the collapse of communism more than anything - look for allegories to Stalin/Lenin/Trotsky. But if you've read it and don't realise that,your fucked.
  • Options
    chaos i read it about a hundred years ago. if you can't see the connection be bloody thankful you aint doing poitics!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    Tis about the collapse of communism more than anything - look for allegories to Stalin/Lenin/Trotsky. But if you've read it and don't realise that,your fucked.

I know it's basically about that, the russian revolution and all that, but I need to know who represented who and so on.

sorry miffy, it's only half of use. I need information on the bigger picture.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    chaos i read it about a hundred years ago. if you can't see the connection be bloody thankful you aint doing poitics!

I'm thick. I didn't know there was a connection until they started to explain it at all....started to then I missed a wad of school and therefore all the information on how it connects with the russian revolution.
  • Options
    Uh-oh , things look bad.

Try buying one of those summary books tomorrow and read it overnight.

Its a bit late to be asking these types of questions..
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Uh-oh , things look bad.

Try buying one of those summary books tomorrow and read it overnight.

Its a bit late to be asking these types of questions..

I know....I'm despirate!!! If it makes it easier just tell me who Napolean, Snowball and Old Major represent for a start.
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    If it makes it easier just tell me who Napolean, Snowball and Old Major represent for a start.

Did you even look at the link Miffy posted?
  • Options
    (This may be wrong , I havent read it for a while and it is not my GCSE set text)

Napoleon - Marx - Pure visionary who envisages world without humans.

Snowball - Trotsky - Brilliant , charismatic and wishes to spread animalism to other farms.

Napoleon - Stalin - Evil , despotic with an army (NKVD) of dogs.
  • Options
    Napoleon represents two people?
  • Options
    erm , sorry.

Mistype.

Old Major - Marx - Pure visionary who envisages world without humans
  • Options
    it's a start. Thanks :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by badcoverversion
    Did you even look at the link Miffy posted?

I think (understandably) he`s in a bit of a panic. Nm.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    I think (understandably) he`s in a bit of a panic. Nm.

I kinda looked at it for five seconds and then....clicked off it. i am indeed in a rush, and it does help. Thanks miffy :)
  • Options
    I kinda looked at it for five seconds and then....clicked off it. i am indeed in a rush, and it does help. Thanks miffy :)

Hope all goes well for you. Just do your best, remember, noone can ask any more of you than that.
  • Options
    Hope all goes well for you. Just do your best, remember, noone can ask any more of you than that.

I'm just worried my best isn't good enough :(
  • Options
    This might be useful.

That looks very useful, you would probably find it helpful to print it off and look over it. If you could learn that I would expect it to help
  • Options
    I'm just worried my best isn't good enough :(

Believe me it won`t be the end of the world if that should be the case. I know, I`ve spent my whole life being afraid of not being good enough.
  • Options
    i didnt get this much help with lord of the flies!

shouldnt you have language on wednesday?or have i got lit hmmm nope im pretttty sure im doin lang
  • Options
    Originally posted by Klever
    That looks very useful, you would probably find it helpful to print it off and look over it. If you could learn that I would expect it to help

I have printed it off and I'm gonna learn it :)

Rockerchick...I'll check now..................

English Lit:Wednesday 21st May AM

English Lang Paper 1 higher:Thursday 5th June AM

English Lang Paper 2 higher:Monday 9th June PM
  • Options
    ...ok i may sound insane but i think ur best bet is to read the book over tonite and tm and get it all fresh in ur memory as well as doin wat the others say cos ur guna need to quote the book n shit!
  • Options
    You could always rent the film out. Or does that defeat the point of English Lit??

You may need to do some homework on the main players of the russian revolution so you can tie it in with the book.

You can easily see the different levels of government appear as Orwell wrote it. Very clever!
  • Options
    Do what Cheezie suggested and rent the film. Take notes while watching it, which will help you memorize it.
    I'm sure you could find something about it on the net, a brief overview, or article, about the book. Then again, putting "animal farm" in to a search engine might not get quite what you're looking for! :eek:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Well what I would do is go somewhere like WH Smith and get the York notes if at all possible. It`ll be more realistic to read that than the whole book, and it`ll tell you what you really need to know.
  • Options
    Offline - York notes is probably your best bet and as you ar short on time pick out the main points to remember and don't worry too much with the finer details, however if you can't get hold of it spark notes (link below) are pretty useful...

Some linkage for you

spark notes on animal farm is really good giving summaries on plot, historical context, symbolism, characters etc

Good Luck

Now get off TheSite and do some revision!!!
    Susie

:)
  • Options
    The book Animal Farm presents an allegory of Communist Russia. The beauty of Animal Farm it symbolically captures the history of Russia in a subtle, sophisticated yet comprehensible way. The novel was written between November 1943 and February 1944, at time at which Communism was at its peak in Russia Many events from the Russian Revolution are alluded to in Animal Farm. Three main Russian political events of this era are allegorized in Animal Farm. These events are the February Revolution of 1917, resulting in the overthrow of the old Czarist Russian government, the results of Stalin's collectivization from 1929-33, and the Great Purge from 1932-38 . Orwell also modeled the characters reflect the characteristics of key political figures and groups of the time (ie Stalin and Trotsky) and appropriately chose their names, such that they corresponded to the role they take in the story.

I did it in school...but I nicked this from the web!