Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Play off misery!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Never been part of a play off with my team Oldham Athletic before, can't believe how much it hurt to lose eventually to QPR, you feel so gutted when the final whistle goes and the others celebrate. Anyone else in the same predicament as me? Anyone really not looking forward to next season knowing you'll be in the same division for yet another year!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Who finished higher in the 2nd division?

There was an article in the paper today to extend all the nationwide playoffs to 6 clubs, bonkers........

:crazyeyes
  • Options
    Well Bristol City finished 3rd then QPR, Oldham and Cardiff.

I think extending it is a good idea especially with finances as they are right now, it could generate some much need cash for some clubs. The system they do it is fair also, it gives the best possible advantage to the team that finishes higher. Making it harder for clubs finishing bottom of the playoffs. Although they shouldn't extend it anymore than 6. Maybe they should have relegation playoffs as well?
  • Options
    Do you not think that it is unreasonable that a team that finishes 8th can get promted ahead of a team that finishes 3rd decided from 3 matches when there have been 46 matches through the season to show who is better?
  • Options
    I does seem unfair, but to keep the competitive edge to the sport (or any sport) they leave a little door open for another team to fight for promotion.
  • Options
    But the competitive edge is over a whole massive season!
  • Options
    Re: Play off misery!
    Originally posted by Macca
    Never been part of a play off with my team Oldham Athletic before, can't believe how much it hurt to lose eventually to QPR, you feel so gutted when the final whistle goes and the others celebrate. Anyone else in the same predicament as me? Anyone really not looking forward to next season knowing you'll be in the same division for yet another year!

Trust me it's worser when you lose in the Play-Off Final! I have seen my hometown club Leicester City twice at Wembley in the Division 1 Play-Off Final, we lost both times! the first ending 1-0 against Blackburn Rovers in 1992! the second was even worse it was 4-3 against Swindon Town, City came back from 3-0 down to claw it back to 3-3 and then Swindon scored a late penalty to send them into the premiership!! so very sickening! Leicester City have appeared more times than any other club in the Play-Off final than any club! City have been in 4 Play-Off finals! Leicester won the other two 2-1 against Derby and 2-1 against Crystal Palace!!!!!:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clementine
    I have seen my hometown club Leicester City twice at Wembley in the Division 1 Play-Off Final, we lost both times!

Thank God for Man United then :rolleyes: :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Do you not think that it is unreasonable that a team that finishes 8th can get promted ahead of a team that finishes 3rd decided from 3 matches when there have been 46 matches through the season to show who is better?

You think this is bad, have you seen the Rugby play offs?

These decided the title, currently the top team in the league are about 20 points clear, yet following the play offs the third placed team could be awarded the title.

Now that is bonkers...
  • Options
    Yeah I saw an article about the Rugby Union premiership, seems completely ridiculous, thats what happens if you follow the 'we nedd the money' justidfication, you end up spoiling what the game is about.........