Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Speeches

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok it is my 21st soon and i have to do a speech.

My prob is that i suck at speeches, writing them and saying them.

So i need to know what you all think of what i have so far, now remember that this is a first draft.

BTW i know some of you hate long posts, so i am wrning you now, this is quite long!!

Thanks all!!!

First I would like to thank all of you for coming and sharing this night with me.

Mum and Dad, thank-you for organizing this evening and doing everything to make this a special night for me. Thank-you for supporting me in everything that I have set my mind to and for having patience with me when I couldn’t decided what I wanted to do. Thank-you for raising me the way that you have, you have made me the person that I am today. You are the greatest parents, I could not have picked anyone better myself! I will be eternally grateful to you! And I will love you forever.

Sister, Thank-you for always being your self no matter what, you are a wonderful strong person, and please don’t change for anyone, you are the best, You will always be the one person that will bring me back down to earth when my head is in the clouds!

Boy friend, I could go on all night about you, but I won’t. You have been the best thing that has happened to me, you have pushed me in all the right directions. You bring a smile to my face and a laugh to my spirit. You have supported me through everything and always had faith in me, even when I didn’t. You pushed me when I started to slack and slowed me down when I was going to fast. I will always love you and be thankful to you!

Parents best friends, you have been my substitute aunt and uncle, you are family to me, and I will always love you. You have been there for me since the first day of high school till helping me with my matric farewell dress. Thank-you for everything!

High School friend, We have been through a lot together, good times and great times, bad times and really bad times, but yet we always come out on top. You have been the one on the other end of the line when all I needed was a chat. You have always been able to make me see the bright side of things. Thank-you!

Primary school friend, you have known me the longest, we have survived different high schools, varsities and colleges. You have given me the advice that I needed and a shoulder to cry on. You will always be a very special person to me and I thank-you for being my friend.

Old work friend, we have been friends for some time now, we have had many great laughs and good parties together. Thank-you for helping me when I was in trouble and going beyond the bounds of friendship for me, you are a very special person to me and I really value our friendship. Thank-you!

Old work friends girl friend, we have not been friends for long, but I feel like we have known each other a life time, we have had many laughs and many tears together, we have a very special bond and I hope that it lasts forever. Thank-you for all the great times that we have had, and are going to have. Thanks for always having a sympathetic ear for me, and for being there when I was in trouble! You really are one in a million.

If I have not mentioned you, it is not because you are not special to me, it is because that if I did we would be here all night, if you are here that means that you are. Thank-you all again for coming tonight, I hope that you all enjoy the evening!

Sorry if i bored you, but i need an outsiders opinion!!

Thanks

:p

Comments

• Options
    sounds good to me :thumb:
    Although it is a bit long,so some people might start throwing apples at you.
  • Options
    Why do you have to make a speech?
    Why is it that long?

Can't you just say something along the lines of "I would like to thank you all for coming and sharing this special night with me. I value each and every one of you."?

Personally, I thought it was too long and I would get bored listening to it.

Edited to add: I think addressing everyone including people you went to primary school with and old work colleagues is very cheesy!
  • Options
    Don't listen to them Slinky. I think it's great. You've picked some of the major people in your life and thanked them. There is no rules to how long a speech should be but it only took my about 2 1/2 to 3 mins to read so doesn't seem that long to me.

BTW where's the bit were you thank NinjaMaster? :p
  • Options
    The unfortunate thing is that here in SA speeches are the thing to do, and if you are mentioned in someone elses speech , you have to mention them.

I might cut it a little shorter, but i have mentioned everyone that i HAVE to. you know to keep the peace and all!!

And i talk REALLY fast, so it will proberly take me half the time to say it that it took you to read it!

Thanks for the input!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShInE
    Although it is a bit long,so some people might start throwing apples at you.

LOL! Have to say I agree... it starts to sound like you`re gonna thank everyone under the sun. I was scrolling down to the bottom expecting to see, "Teachers from playschool, I haven`t seen you for years. But you set me on the right track in life, teaching me all about finger paints...." :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    You've picked some of the major people in your life and thanked them.
    And the rest!

Anyway, if it is tradition etc and you have to mention every including the woman you met at the bus stop, then it is a really nice speech and you've done well to find something nice to say about all of those groups of people!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    "Teachers from playschool, I haven`t seen you for years. But you set me on the right track in life, teaching me all about finger paints...." :lol:
    :lol:
    Sorry but that really made me laugh!! :rolleyes: @self
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    Don't listen to them Slinky. I think it's great. You've picked some of the major people in your life and thanked them. There is no rules to how long a speech should be but it only took my about 2 1/2 to 3 mins to read so doesn't seem that long to me.

BTW where's the bit were you thank NinjaMaster? :p

Thanks NinjaMaster!!

That was what i needed to hear!!

You are a real hun!

Lv SlinkyG!
  • Options
    Well I didn`t mean to be rude! It just started to sound a bit like one of those Oscar acceptance speeches where they thank everyone they can possibly think of. I think it made it sound funnier because you`ve called them things like old work friend`s girlfriend (for obvious reasons, but it sounds funny!)

I`m sure it`s fine Slinkygirl, and if you have to thank all those people then you have to!
  • Options
    LOL! Have to say I agree... it starts to sound like you`re gonna thank everyone under the sun. I was scrolling down to the bottom expecting to see, "Teachers from playschool, I haven`t seen you for years. But you set me on the right track in life, teaching me all about finger paints...." :lol:

LMAO!!!

Well at least i can join in the joke!!

I realise that it is long, but trust me if i mentioned everyone then it would 1000 times longer!

I am very close to all the ppl that i mentioned.

But thanks fot the input!

:p
  • Options
    Although it was a touch long, was very good.

Hope you remind your Mum and Dad to take some tissues out with them, cos they will be crying. Well I would cos it was a lovely thing to say.

They are gonna be proud of your speech :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

Edited to add: I think addressing everyone including people you went to primary school with and old work colleagues is very cheesy!

I won't be refering to them as i have here ie: primary school friend but by there name - i changed thier names for obvoiuse(sp) reasons!
  • Options
    Do you have to mention anyone who has mentioned you in their speech ever?? If so my advice is to avoid occasions where there will be speeches, or think how long, say, your silver wedding speech might be..... :eek:
  • Options
    Do you have to mention anyone who has mentioned you in their speech ever??

Nah , just other 21st that i have been to two!

This was proberly the biggest mistake i have ever made asking you lot!! You just takning the piss!!

Oh well, at least you all have made me giggle!!

Thanks

BeckyBoo : thanks for the vote of confidence!!

;)