Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Broadband

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive just ordered broadband so it should be up and running in 10 days.
So where do I get stuff from, like films, music etc.
Where do you think is the best place to go?
I currently have WinMX but dont do much downloading of stuff because it takes too long on a 56k.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Options
    you want to get kazaalite (www.kazaalite.com i would put a hyperlink in, but the button aint working, and i cant remember the bit of code)

Its just like kazaa except it has had the spyware and adware removed from it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Eul Grepus
    you want to get kazaalite (www.kazaalite.com i would put a hyperlink in, but the button aint working, and i cant remember the bit of code)

Its just like kazaa except it has had the spyware and adware removed from it.

Cheers i knew about that one.

Is it right im supposed to have the firewall on at all times when on broadband, due to the fact im always connected? just something I was told.
  • Options
    your broadband router will normally have a firewall inbuilt, and yes, leave it on, dont disable it. Also, i recommend you get Sygate or Zonealarm personal firewall.... install it on any PC connected via your broadband connection.
  • Options
    your broadband router will normally have a firewall inbuilt, and yes, leave it on, dont disable it. Also, i recommend you get Sygate or Zonealarm personal firewall.... install it on any PC connected via your broadband connection.

Yeah I have zone alarm, but when it goes off I shit myself because I dont know what to do lol. It has only happened a few times but blocks the port or something for 30 mins.
    I really need to learn what things do and what to do when they do give a warning lol
  • Options
    your broadband router will normally have a firewall inbuilt, and yes, leave it on, dont disable it.

Well, assuming she's even using a router, it *may* have a firewall.

Either way
    Also, i recommend you get Sygate or Zonealarm personal firewall....

Is good advice.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Well, assuming she's even using a router, it *may* have a firewall.

Either way

Is good advice.

Whats a router? all I know is ive oredered BT Broadband :)

and they will send me a modem.

shows her dumminess.....once again :p
  • Options
    just download Zone Alarm and don't worry about the rest.

Oh heres another Q for those internet minded - I have broadband is there any way I can reallocate myself a new IP? I know with dialup you just disconnect and reconnect but I have cable and don't you get assigned an indivual IP address?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Whats a router? all I know is ive oredered BT Broadband :)

and they will send me a modem.

shows her dumminess.....once again :p

A router is something you can use instead of a modem. You wont need one if you are having a modem.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner

Oh heres another Q for those internet minded - I have broadband is there any way I can reallocate myself a new IP? I know with dialup you just disconnect and reconnect but I have cable and don't you get assigned an indivual IP address?

There's no difference in broadband. You can connect and reconnect and if you are on dynamic IP then you *may* get reassigned.

In practice though, the lease times are often quite long, and you will just get the same IP back. Try turning the modem on and off again.

Or ask your ISP.
  • Options
    Thanx very muchly, when I get broadband how long will it take me to download a full C.D? Movie? A full programme like Anti virus or sommat like that?
  • Options
    Thanx very muchly, when I get broadband how long will it take me to download a full C.D? Movie? A full programme like Anti virus or sommat like that?

If your using KaZaA Lite then to search for movies you basically choose the video section, go to 'more search options' and change the file size of your download to at least 500,000 (500mb)

Then search for what your after, be aware that a lot of films aren't really the ones your wanting (ie. downloading spiderman to find out its saving private ryan) but theres a bonus here, KaZaA Lite has a program called AVI Previewer which is pretty affective with opening the DAT files that KaZaA Lite downloads so you can check your film once you have around 10mb.

Films usually take around 2-4 days, cause the source keeps dropping and average file size for a decent quality DivX film would be 700-800mb, if you notice the word "screener" then that can mean a screened copy recorded in advance at a cinema from their systems (a good way to find cinema moves not yet out on DVD)

... ahem, none of this I actually do, this is illegal and I purchase all my videos in the shops or support them at the cinemas *cough* ;):p
  • Options
    Yeah I have zone alarm, but when it goes off I shit myself because I dont know what to do lol. It has only happened a few times but blocks the port or something for 30 mins.
    I really need to learn what things do and what to do when they do give a warning lol
    I have ZoneAlarm, and it goes off every few minutes! Don't worry about it though. What it's saying is someone is just having a look around the internet to see what's going on. I think it might be something to do with all the P2P programs around, people looking for places to download are just scanning all the nearby computers. If you have the latest version of ZoneAlarm, you can turn the warnings off (open the ZoneAlarm control panel, click Alerts & Logs, and click off). Most people use ZoneAlarm to prevent programs (viruses & trojans normally) from connecting to the internet when they shouldn't, and those alerts will still come up.
    Yes, I think this should always work. Go to Start, Run, type "winipcfg" (Windows IP Configuration), click OK, and click Renew All. Or talk to your ISP
  • Options

Open up a command prompt (Start>Run>cmd [if you are using NT, 2K or XP] or Start>Run>command [for other windows operating systems])

I dont know if it works for your external IP, but in that window type ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew
  • Options
    Open up a command prompt (Start>Run>cmd [if you are using NT, 2K or XP] or Start>Run>command [for other windows operating systems])
    I dont know if it works for your external IP, but in that window type
    ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew
    I have Win98 SE, and with that, and probably some other versions as well (try this if above doesn't work) you have to do ipconfig /release_all followed by ipconfig /renew_all
  • Options
    She shall also have to download codecs. Films that you download from kazaa tend to be coded in ways that conventional players can't read.

http://ds.dial.pipex.com/wests/temp/ffdshow-20030103.exe
    or
    http://ds.dial.pipex.com/wests/temp/ffdshow-20020617.exe

for a codec pack.

Basically it helps your conventional player know how to handle the file type.
  • Options
    I'm not entirely sure but downloading kazaalite will have the codecs in the package. Otherwse the codec pack is available there.
  • Options
    Well little update for you.

I got my Broadband :D
    Its fooking fast aint it :lol:
    I installed the codecs you mentioned
    I have got a newer version of Zone alarm and its doing my head in, its blocking everything. It just keeps showing me loads of alerts, and its doing my head in:mad:

But the broadband itself is great, I did windows updates today and couldnt beleive how fast it got them. Got some music which cant beleive the speed I got them at.......So im happy :D
  • Options
    Well little update for you.

I got my Broadband :D
    Its fooking fast aint it :lol:
    I installed the codecs you mentioned
    I have got a newer version of Zone alarm and its doing my head in, its blocking everything. It just keeps showing me loads of alerts, and its doing my head in:mad:

But the broadband itself is great, I did windows updates today and couldnt beleive how fast it got them. Got some music which cant beleive the speed I got them at.......So im happy :D

Well done, broadband is great ..

Also look into a proxy server this helps protect your privacy a little more by hiding your IP Address.

most of the new compressed movies are in Xvid or DivX format

keep an eye on www.divx.com for the latest updates
  • Options
    Are they program alerts or 'Protected' alerts? If they're program alerts, they'll slow down very soon, as long as you don't keep getting 'changed programs' when you shouldn't. If they're incoming alerts, that's quite normal on broadband. At the bottom of each alert there should be a check box. Check it, click OK, and you shouldn't get any alerts. They're probably nothing to worry about, but better to keep ZoneAlarm there than to risk them being something to worry about.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Well done, broadband is great ..

Also look into a proxy server this helps protect your privacy a little more by hiding your IP Address.

Eh? come on im a dummy :lol: you aint read any of my posts here have you ;)

Me_and The thing keeps blocking stuff, have messed around with it today but still getting loads of alerts, and the box keeps coming up :(
    I will sort it hopefully

Thanx for your help :)
  • Options
    Eh? come on im a dummy :lol: you aint read any of my posts here have you ;)
    Don't worry about proxy servers. Unless you know what you're doing, they're more hassle than they're worth.
    Me_and The thing keeps blocking stuff, have messed around with it today but still getting loads of alerts, and the box keeps coming up :(
    I will sort it hopefully
    What does it say at the top of the alert box? Or do you mean that if you look at the log there's a load of stuff?[/B][/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Originally posted by Me_and
    [/b]What does it say at the top of the alert box? Or do you mean that if you look at the log there's a load of stuff?[/B]
    [/B][/QUOTE]

It says blocked the port or something like that, will write it down next time it goes lol.
  • Options
    It says blocked the port or something like that, will write it down next time it goes lol.
    Something like this?
  • Options
    Something like this?

yeah, you been looking in me putor :lol:

Seriously its getting very annoying, not knowing what im supposed to click lol

Ok what I have done is allowed the ones I know are ok which are Internet Explorer, Kazza Lite, Live update engine,Microsoft QMgr,
    Anti Virus update, Outlook Express, Windows Explorer so it should not go off as much now? I hope not or else im just gonna disable the bloody thing ;)

• Options
    yeah, you been looking in me putor :lol:
    Seriously its getting very annoying, not knowing what im supposed to click lol
    Ok what I have done is allowed the ones I know are ok which are Internet Explorer, Kazza Lite, Live update engine,Microsoft QMgr,
    Anti Virus update, Outlook Express, Windows Explorer so it should not go off as much now? I hope not or else im just gonna disable the bloody thing ;)
    What you've done is good: it's allowing programs that want to access the outside world to do so. What it's not doing is allowing computers who want access for some reason to your computer to do so; that's what the alerts you're getting are about. If you look, I'll edit the image in the last post, and next time one of those alerts pops up, click the box in the circle before you click OK. Then you should never get those alerts again, although the access will still be blocked.
  • Options
    Then you should never get those alerts again, although the access will still be blocked.

Thanks very much for ya help :D

It hasnt alerted again since I allowed them programmes, so I must have done it correct :)
  • Options
    a lot of the time the peer 2 peer programs are really slow for downloading movies and episodes of different shows. is there any site that you can download episodes or movies off?