Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

charidee

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
as this here little website is populated with young hipsters (and lacyem :p ) i was wondering.........

do young people give to charity?

i do, im 22 (is that young?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!), i give to oxfam monthly, but when other people i know find out that i give to them they often react with surprise.

is it that rare???????

hmmmmmmmmmm.
________
Lovely Wendie

Comments

• Options
    not that rare - i'm 17, i buy the big issue regularly, i donate when i can to an equine charity, and support samaritans' purse. when i get a monthly wage sorted i'll do a standing order to a few charities.
  • Options
    I don't know. My sixth form came up with the idea last year of sponsoring a child, and we stil do that - everyone gives a pound at the beginning of each term, (and my 6th form has 280 odd students!) and we give that to send Jorge to school. We also write him letters and send him football stickers and stuff :) I hope they carry on with it when we leave.

When i'm earning (or just generally have more money), i'd like to set up a direct debit to someone like Oxfam, but i'm truly broke and don't have a regular income at the moment, so it's not really a possible option. I was talking to my mum about this a couple of days ago!

Oh yeah, and i buy the big issue all the time.
  • Options
    cool.

the big issue is the best ?1.20 one can spend every week, brilliant stuff!!!
    ________
    SCREPLAYS.NET
  • Options
    Don't see why it would be rare at all. I'm 15 and i give to charity.
  • Options
    I'm 19 and I have a standing order of £10 a month go out of my bank account to CancerResearchUK :)
  • Options
    i give to charity every month:D
  • Options
    I don't give to a specific charity, but i do try and give something to the homeless kid that beg at the traffic lights!

But after my Smash and Grab last week, i keep all windows closed and will rather give to Cotlands(baby sanctuary) every month!!
  • Options
    It's good to see that all give to registered charities, or sponsor through them. It's the only way to be sure that your money will go to good use. I give a lot of my time to Unicef and World Vision.

Where I live, we have around 10 beggars/homeless (supposedly) who run a pattern of where they beg. Some are alcoholics who want 60p to get another can of Super Kestral or Ace cider. We have another small group who beg for money at the same time as selling drugs!! Cheeky bastards! :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cheezie Grin

Where I live, we have around 10 beggars/homeless (supposedly) who run a pattern of where they beg. Some are alcoholics who want 60p to get another can of Super Kestral or Ace cider. We have another small group who beg for money at the same time as selling drugs!! Cheeky bastards! :mad:

This breaks my heart, here in SA at every traffic light there are either ppl begging or trying to sell you shit. The worst are the kids that beg, they are forced to stand in whatever weather and beg for money. What is heart breaking is that 95% of them are begging for someone else, some adult that stands in the bushes and when the kids are given money the adult comes and takes it!!How fucked up is that, even when you give them food, you actually have to watch them eat it otherwise some adult will come and take it. You can't give them money cause you know that they won't get it or they will go and buy drink or drugs!!

South Africa is Fucked Up!!

/Rant over!!

Edited cause i can't spell
  • Options
    i work for a charity called kith and kids, we run play scemes(sp) for children/young adults/adults with special needs and there siblings. i have been a member of this charity since i was 3, cos my sister has autism. its hard to cope with a lot of hte time but kith and kids has helped me so much that if they ever need any volenteers they know that they can always ask me and i will jump at the chance to give back what i got.