Home Politics & Debate
Ongoing maintenance - the boards are undergoing some ongoing, intermittent maintenance. Pages might load slightly slower than usual and there may be very short periods where the boards are offline.

labour or conservative?

2

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i ain't being mean <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/rolleyes.gif"&gt; why do peeps htink i'm mean?! hmmph *sulks* i'm a kind hearted turtletoise!

    Look into these tired eyes. See something you might recognise.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Turtle:
    i ain't being mean <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/rolleyes.gif"&gt; why do peeps htink i'm mean?! hmmph *sulks* i'm a kind hearted turtletoise!

    Didn't know turtletoises were cold hearted I always thought they were cold blooded, but hey biology never was my strong point. lol.

    Seriously turletoise you are not cold hearted, far from it you are a compassionate young dude with a wicked sense of humour, you were one of the first to greet me here and offered me some excellent advice, please don't change you are a great turtletoise persil <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/smile.gif"&gt;



    "Children are like washing powders, some are biological, some are non-biological" ~David Badiel~
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't worry Turtle - I wasn't really offended. Anyway you've had a lot on your mind recently, what with your Dad's new girlfriend etc. so I think you've got an excuse to be evil sometimes! <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/wink.gif"&gt; You're a cool person and give good advice - respect!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Turtle:
    The EU doesn't like the idea of nationalism, cept when towards a united Europe.


    Think you get to the nub of the point here Turtle. This is EXACTLY what's wrong with Europe.

    A single business partnership is one thing, but to hide people's identity is dangerous. This is what has caused the balkans conflicts in the past few years and it's a form of racism. "You must have no identity but the one we give you". Sorry but that's bullshit.

    As for voting, Girl, you need to register how you feel, if you don;t want to vote for a specific party then spoil your paper. If you do nothing then that's what will change - nothing. For christsakes people stand up and be counted because as many coutries have found - eventually it's too late and you no longer have a choice.

    As for liberals - they were once known part of a two party system with the tories. that is until the first world war when the labour party were founded.

    Oh, and yes I will vote but I'm not saying who for. You'll have to guess
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My personal belief in all this is that politics is failing, no matter who is voted in taxes will go up for everyone because public spending increases... ok, maybe some things will go down, but others will go up to make this possible...

    Politicians are the biggest fraudsters I have ever known, they constantly lie to get public support and side-track issues when they screw-up... if people lie about something its known as 'fraud' therefore a good 75% of politicians are 'fraudsters', 'fraud' under the law is a criminal offence and should be dealt with accordingly.

    The govenment is corrupt, large-corperations have more political power than the govenment and they're cash and influences sway govenmental decision.

    I honestly think political parties should be abolished and everyone should stand as individuals and not sheep who follow a so-called leader who gets screwed by every foreign official.

    I don't understand Labour, in their eyes it seems to stem that if you work you pay shite loads to people (and I excuse the few general people who have problems) who can't be arsed working and would rather sit on their fat backsides and let everyone else work for them and then complain about the amount they recieve for doing NOTHING!

    I'm 19, I'm not on income-support cause I don't believe in it and I live on my own in my own flat, I don't have a great deal of money left when I've finished paying all the taxes and crap but at least I have my pride. Yes I have a pretty decent job for my age but its not great £13k a year, which I worked my arse off getting, but one thing I can say is that if I ever lost it and had the option of either doing a £3.25/hr job as a cleaner or sitting on my arse, I'd choose the cleaning job, everyone starts somewhere, you can't except to begin your working life as a chairman earing £30k a year.

    I think people who don't work should be forced to do community service in return for the unemployment benefit, some people often use the excuse that 'there aren't any jobs', utter bullshit, obviously those people have never been to a job centre.

    ((( Apologies for the rant )))

    So I'm not voting this year as there is no point, Labour will win again as Hague has about as much respect as a piece of used bog-roll and the country will carry on getting even more corrupt than it already is.... its on reverse now, I think the message in todays society is:

    Those who don't work cause they can't be arsed will earn more money than those who do...

    Personally I think thats bollox! <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/frown.gif"&gt;

    [This message has been edited by Justin Credible (edited 14-05-2001).]
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have to say i do not like the tories. For local government i would say lib dems but for national Labour.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would say I would vote for the Tories.
    I don't particularly mind about the Euro, but Labour have fouled everything else up. I am a policeman's son, so everything they say about the police is of interest to me, and believe me, moral is low. My dad was trying to discourage me from joining because things were that bad. As for health care, you've seen what a mess they have made of that, the same thing goes for the armed forces. They havent made improvements or kept their promises on any thing they orgianally said, and now they have changed their promises, in order to fix the mistakes they have made. Now they say they will give more money to health care, if they had done it in the first place they wouldn't need to.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think we should all vote green or socialist alliance not cos they stand a chance of becoming the goverment but because if they can get some seats and some power then they can put some pressure on the goverment to make some changes.

    I need to wash myself again to hide all the dirt and pain, but I'd be scared that there's nothing underneath
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And the Tories would make things better would they?? Oh, ffs....
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Justin Credible:
    Politicians are the biggest fraudsters I have ever known, they constantly lie to get public support and side-track issues when they screw-up...

    But of course. What do politicians want? Power. In a country where people vote to decide who gets it, how does one achieve it? By convincing people that one should have it. Why? Because <political spiel>.

    Don't be surprised that the current breed of politicians lie and try to improve their image. They have to make themselves seem good in the eyes of the electorate. It's what they have to do to survive. Those that are best at it will flourish; those that are crap at it will lose, and go and do something else.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stuff labour, tory or lib dem - i'm all for voting:

    MEBYON KERNOW

    or, for the non-cornish of you, the cornish national party (dont laugh. no seriously dont) at least, i would vote for them if they had some decent policies......

    one of their members came up with a suggestion to dig a canal through from bude (north coast of cornwall) to the river tamar (flows to the south coast), thereby making cornwall 'an island nation'. you'll only understand if you live in the south west of england, or you look at a map, but that was one of their better plans!

    seriously, for me it has to be the lesser of 2 evils - labour. besides, i met tony blair's wife once. no, its not what you're thinking.... leo blair is NOT my responsibility <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/wink.gif"&gt;
  • Girl-From-MarsGirl-From-Mars Mega Poster Posts: 2,822
    rofl dan, god they're mad. i def WONT be voting for them! crazy people. what do they want cornwall to be an island for anyway?! i know i dont, thats for sure.

    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.
    ~ the late, great Douglas Adams
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    thats almost as hilarous as the welsh national party <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/tongue.gif"&gt;

    i mean, u give wales independance and 2 minutes later the place will be run by the sheep! ffs. <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt;

    *ducks susie's hand*

    Look into these tired eyes. See something you might recognise.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Turtle:
    thats almost as hilarous as the welsh national party <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/tongue.gif"&gt;

    i mean, u give wales independance and 2 minutes later the place will be run by the sheep! ffs. <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt;

    *ducks susie's hand*


    leave them alone.

    anyway.. at the end of the day people, somebody is going to have to win. so unless youre planning to get into politics, at least vote for the party that runs with most of your standards. people FOUGHT to get that vote, and now everyone seems to take advantage of that fact.
    and sorry emma, you brought that one out of me with your first post <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/tongue.gif"&gt;

    [This message has been edited by SusieLovesCalvin (edited 30-05-2001).]
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by SusieLovesCalvin:
    leave them alone.

    anyway.. at the end of the day people, somebody is going to have to win. so unless youre planning to get into politics, at least vote for the party that runs with most of your standards. people FOUGHT to get that vote, and now everyone seems to take advantage of that fact.
    and sorry emma, you brought that one out of me with your first post <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/tongue.gif"&gt;

    [This message has been edited by SusieLovesCalvin (edited 30-05-2001).]


    yes mother, i'll leave them alone.

    and interestingly enuff, you've got a point. as someone has said, it'll probably end up being a vote for the lesser of two evils (and the lib dems <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/tongue.gif"&gt; lmao)


    Look into these tired eyes. See something you might recognise.
  • Girl-From-MarsGirl-From-Mars Mega Poster Posts: 2,822
    well the lib dems want to abolish tuition funds <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/smile.gif"&gt; so i might change my mind on the day and hop on down to the voting place... right... quick Q... my mum insists that im wrong, but you have to register to vote right? i rememebr seeing all these ads about march time about registering to vote. coz if you DO have to register, i missed that boat didnt i <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/rolleyes.gif"&gt; <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/tongue.gif"&gt; <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/rolleyes.gif"&gt;

    we live in a lib dem constituency, i sawour MP with his long flowing coat in truro once. isnt that interesting <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt;

    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.
    ~ the late, great Douglas Adams
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Girl-From-Mars:
    well the lib dems want to abolish tuition funds <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/smile.gif"&gt; so i might change my mind on the day and hop on down to the voting place... right... quick Q... my mum insists that im wrong, but you have to register to vote right? i rememebr seeing all these ads about march time about registering to vote. coz if you DO have to register, i missed that boat didnt i <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/rolleyes.gif"&gt; <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/tongue.gif"&gt; <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/rolleyes.gif"&gt;

    we live in a lib dem constituency, i sawour MP with his long flowing coat in truro once. isnt that interesting <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/biggrin.gif"&gt;

    There's info on registering here http://www.thesite.org/action/voting_made_simple.html

    and some general stuff about different policies including tuition fees here http://www.thesite.org/action/

    Dom
  • Girl-From-MarsGirl-From-Mars Mega Poster Posts: 2,822
    ahh cheers dom <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/smile.gif"&gt;

    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.
    ~ the late, great Douglas Adams
  • Girl-From-MarsGirl-From-Mars Mega Poster Posts: 2,822
    ah turns out i am registered as my voting card came through the door the other day and my parents only decided to tell me today, as i was asking them to phone the council and stuff for me! (im lazy) <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/tongue.gif"&gt;

    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.
    ~ the late, great Douglas Adams
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    GFM, you live in matthew taylor's patch dont you? if so, then you might as well vote lib dem, coz he's never gonna be unelectified. 11% total tory swing needed - aint gonna happen. unless you vote for CONAN JENKIN - mebyon kernow man! aka the barbarian. on second thoughts, dont. he might start pillaging redruth if he gets elected. not that theres anything in redruth to pillage.

    ***REALITY CHECK***

    none of you have a CLUE what the hell im on about do you. 'cept maybe GFM. your loss evry1! come live in cornwall, among the disused mineshafts and sewage treatment works, the traffic congestion and the angry yokels. then you will understand.........

    (sorry, its been one of those mornings)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thnik one of the most important characteristics of a PM is someone who the nation trusts. As far as I know Blair is probably going to take us into the euro. I am worried about changing currency becasue i dont know what it means for me but im only 13 so i dont have a say.

    I feel Blair should adopt a "down with the people" attitude as opposed to a "over the people" one. I read the other day that the total cases of foot and mouth could be double due to a cover up. I dont know if it is true but the PM should always be truthful to the population, in the end everyone will respect him for it. probably
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Outsider:

    ...the PM should always be truthful to the population, in the end everyone will respect him for it. probably

    It would ensure that he would never be elected again. Look at the statements that both main parties make.

    They say what they think we want to hear - better services but lower taxation. The Thatcher years proved that this isn't possible, lower taxes lead to cuts in services.

    The only party who are upfront about this issue are the LibDems and that's because they know they won't be forming the Govt.



    "So raise your fists and march around
    Don't dare take what you need
    I'll jail and bury those committed
    And smother the rest in greed"
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Outsider:
    I thnik one of the most important characteristics of a PM is someone who the nation trusts. As far as I know Blair is probably going to take us into the euro. I am worried about changing currency becasue i dont know what it means for me but im only 13 so i dont have a say.

    I feel Blair should adopt a "down with the people" attitude as opposed to a "over the people" one. I read the other day that the total cases of foot and mouth could be double due to a cover up. I dont know if it is true but the PM should always be truthful to the population, in the end everyone will respect him for it. probably


    as a 13y.o, it probably wont affect u greatly. by the time it does affect u, people will be settled with euro and things will be relatively normal again.

    but fair enuff, i can see where ur coming from.


    Look into these tired eyes. See something you might recognise.
  • Girl-From-MarsGirl-From-Mars Mega Poster Posts: 2,822
    Originally posted by dazed_dan:
    GFM, you live in matthew taylor's patch dont you? if so, then you might as well vote lib dem, coz he's never gonna be unelectified. 11% total tory swing needed - aint gonna happen. unless you vote for CONAN JENKIN - mebyon kernow man! aka the barbarian. on second thoughts, dont. he might start pillaging redruth if he gets elected. not that theres anything in redruth to pillage.

    ***REALITY CHECK***

    none of you have a CLUE what the hell im on about do you. 'cept maybe GFM. your loss evry1! come live in cornwall, among the disused mineshafts and sewage treatment works, the traffic congestion and the angry yokels. then you will understand.........

    (sorry, its been one of those mornings)

    lol... nah its paul tyler, same as you <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/tongue.gif"&gt; talking about it the other day with someone, who were disgusted that cornwall mainly seemed to vote conservative lol... even tho its lib dem where i am <IMG alt="image" SRC="http://www.thesite.org/ubb/tongue.gif"&gt; im thinking its gonna be lib dem for me tho.

    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.
    ~ the late, great Douglas Adams
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd like to have a dabble at politics one day, maybe stand as an independent...

    I suppose if I do tho, I would adopt the slogan 'I dare to tell the truth' and not sidetrack everything, I'd also own up to things when I screwed up, it always puzzles my why politians don't try giving that a shot, it could work...

    Every major issue could have a referendum, that way the country decides what it wants... I'd also not get drawn into this daft slagging match that they all seem to do.. the 'I'm the best, they are evil, the country will go in the ice age if they get in'... it didn't when Labour got in, nothing really changed... it never does...

    (unless your in eductation, single mum, pensioner or ill)

    ... and all that happens is that you get more money and everyone gets taxed some way or another...

    Politics is failing!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Justin Credible:
    I'd like to have a dabble at politics one day, maybe stand as an independent...

    I suppose if I do tho, I would adopt the slogan 'I dare to tell the truth' and not sidetrack everything, I'd also own up to things when I screwed up, it always puzzles my why politians don't try giving that a shot, it could work...

    Every major issue could have a referendum, that way the country decides what it wants... I'd also not get drawn into this daft slagging match that they all seem to do.. the 'I'm the best, they are evil, the country will go in the ice age if they get in'... it didn't when Labour got in, nothing really changed... it never does...

    (unless your in eductation, single mum, pensioner or ill)

    ... and all that happens is that you get more money and everyone gets taxed some way or another...

    Politics is failing!

    nice in principle, impossible in practise.

    Basically owning up to your errors is like saying, "Hey I'm an idiot vote for me" ditto the truth issue. Even though we know most politicians are idiots, none are stupid enough to admit it.

    As for referendum on every major issue - I hate to say this but, like millions of others, I have a job and don't really want to be in the polling station every day/week. And the cost involved, jeez. I'm a polling clerk on Thursday and will get paid £100+ for the day - the senior officer in my station will get over £150. Add that up for every station in the country! (That said I AM looking forward to the Euro referendum - money in my pocket even though I will probably vote NO)

    Where do you draw the line? What issue is important enough to have a referendum and which one gets decided by govt?

    It's true that politics doesn't really work but what realistic alternative is there - dictatorship, anarchy?

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Basically owning up to your errors is like saying, "Hey I'm an idiot vote for me" ditto the truth issue. Even though we know most politicians are idiots, none are stupid enough to admit it.

    I'd have to disagree here slightly, yes going saying 'I'm an idiot' isn't going to get you votes but when certain things crop up which make people see politicians as human they gain more support... take 'Two Jags' John Prescott, he got into a fight and actually managed to use it to his political advantage... ie. 'I know who I'm voting now..'

    Where do you draw the line? What issue is important enough to have a referendum and which one gets decided by govt?

    Major issues don't come up that oftern, I mean ones particually where the country is divided near enough 50-50 on it... we had one a while ago on the monarchy, thats a major issue along with the EC and Euro, other issues slightly less important could just be drawn up in the person's manifesto and who you vote for dictates what laws will be past.

    You can never please everyone, which they seem to miss out on... and side-tracking issues just pisses people off big time, people ask a question 'why are NHS waiting lists so high' and they go off on a tangent about how 'under a conservative govenment' without actually saying a truthful answer that would commend more respect..

    ie. "We know NHS waiting lists are high and we are dealing with it, but it takes time, we're building more hospitals and getting more nurses and doctors into the system.. unfortunatly these things cost money and can't be completed over night."

    [This message has been edited by Justin Credible (edited 05-06-2001).]
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Justin Credible:
    [B

    take 'Two Jags' John Prescott, he got into a fight and actually managed to use it to his political advantage... ie. 'I know who I'm voting now..'

    He also lost alot of votes because people see him as a hot head who can't hoild his temper...


    "We know NHS waiting lists are high and we are dealing with it, but it takes time, we're building more hospitals and getting more nurses and doctors into the system.. unfortunatly these things cost money and can't be completed over night."

    [This message has been edited by Justin Credible (edited 05-06-2001).]

    Good subject to pick on. This one relates to my job. For once the politicans are right. You can't change the NHS overnight. And they do cost a shit load of cash.

    I have been given £2m to change a system which has been in place for 40 years. I am redesigning it from the patients point of view. But changing things in the NHS is like running through treacle. I could change the whole thing tomorrow. Except then it wouldn't be done properly. You have to take little stepes, make sure that there is an improvement and then take the next step. If you do it all at once, you will have a mess. Every little change you make affects something else (what Star Wars calls a symbiotic relationship).

    As for this shower of a Govt we have now, I can actually defend them. They ARE making a difference in the NHS - a positive one. They ARE putting money in - which the last lot didn't do (they took money out!).

    The reason that Doctors are so up in arms is because is means that their cosy little world and god like status is being erroded and they don't like it. Well, I'm sorry but the patient comes first.

    It takes time but it IS coming and I for one would hate to see a return to the cost cutting service cutting of the eighties.



    "Cough up the rent, Mr Kent
    And don't go blame it on the government"
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think the Labour government are personally trying to destroy the United Kingdom. We have seen devolution handed to Sccotland, Wales and England and they also encourage to go full steam into the European Union. A long long time ago countries and different languages were created for a reason. This was because when the people were one they thought they could do anything. I think we should keep our individual identities and vote for the Conservatives. Not because I totally agree with everything they say but it I disagree more with what Labour says.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru

    well i would vote conservative...... due to being a country girl! and having a horse etc etc tony blair fucking up the foot and mouth too!

    and no way do i want euros! as i have only just got to grips with pounds! only taken 18years!
Sign In or Register to comment.