Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sciatic pain?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have this nasty pain in my left leg. It's not horribly painful but it's achy and numb and I'm having trouble sitting still for long periods of time. This could be a problem as I have exams quite soon!

I've read about sciatica and I think it sounds a bit like this. Anyone know anything about it? The pain goes from my left buttock, down the back of my leg (my hamstring) and around my knee. It's more painful when I sit still for a long time. I've heard that sciatica is related to back problems, which I don't think I have. I've had it for a couple of months now but it's got worse. I seem to remember it starting either after I first wore a new pair of high-heeled shoes, or after a lot of exercising in the gym (both a couple of months ago).

It's really getting to me as I'm having trouble in lessons, and I can't stick my leg up on the desk and start massaging my hamstrings!

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Sciatic pain?
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    Can anyone help?

Yes a doctor. ;)

Seriously, from what I understand sciatic pain is caused by pressure from your disc o the sciatic nerve. Often this is a result of poor lifting stature or by a back injury.

You really should consult a professional about this though. If it is a back injury you will need physio as sson as possible to help prevent the symptoms becoming worse.
  • Options
    Man of Ken speaks the truth. Not a good idea to diagnose yourself with anything - get a diagnosis off a doc first, then you can go off and read up about it.

Hope you feel better soon :)
  • Options
    Thanks you two, yeah don't worry, I was planning on going to the doctor when I posted!

I went today, and the doctor seemed to think it was a muscle sprain. I'm dubious as I've had it for a couple of months, it's all over my leg, and it's getting worse, not better. But I'll take his advice and try ice packs and painkillers and so on. Thanks for replying!

LSS
  • Options
    why not visit an osteopath or a recommended sports therapist. I wouldn't recommend a chiropracter thou'.
    For temp relief try lieing in the recovery position with the leg that is numb straight (your left one) then put or get someone to put a bag of sugar on the base of your spine. see how you get on. if it don't make sense, let me know.