Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

pill to delay periods

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can you get a pill to delay periods for a week? What is it called and how does it work, please? My friends said she had some before she went on holiday, and i want them as i'm going on some adventure week thing (includes white water rafting!), and don't want mess/hassle. You have to go to a GP don't you?
Any info appreciated, thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    I haven't heard of this...you should just carryon taking your normal contraceptive pill...go on to a new packet and you won't get your period!!

Although I have heard that they have invented these great 'new' things called tampons which, once inserted, will stop the flow of a period for a few hours. You can even get 'super' ones :D
  • Options
    Yes you can get pills to stop your period. I cant remember the name but I was going on holiday and didnt fancy being on when I was away. So the doctor prescribed them for me.
    Go see your Doctor sooner than later. I beleive you start taking them about 3 days before you are due (although not 100% sure like) :)
  • Options
    Thanks for help! (I'm not on the Pill lol)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Luce
    Thanks for help! (I'm not on the Pill lol)

No probs :)
  • Options
    Heya, I think the pill you're referring to is called Northisterone, (I'n not sure of the correct spelling) I took it to delay my period on holidays before I went on the pill. It works by mimicing progesterone, which is normally secreted to maintain the uterus lining. I had to take it 3 times a day. Your GP will know what you're on about :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by go_away
    Heya, I think the pill you're referring to is called Northisterone, (

Yeah thats the one :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by go_away
    Heya, I think the pill you're referring to is called Northisterone, (I'n not sure of the correct spelling) I took it to delay my period on holidays before I went on the pill. It works by mimicing progesterone, which is normally secreted to maintain the uterus lining. I had to take it 3 times a day. Your GP will know what you're on about :)

I've just finshed using it, you take it about 2-3 days before your period and as soon as you stop your period comes immidiatly (sp?) or a few days later. Also it makes your period lighter. :)
  • Options
    i was on that, it is the n word lol i cant spell its really good only annyoing thing u have to take it 3times a day! lol :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I took that for my holiday last year. It was great but it did get a bit of a pain having to take it three times a day, especially when you can't even take those crappy little tablets! They are about half the size of my little finger nail and i still couldn't swallow them! :confused:
  • Options
    Yeah I took those when I went on holiday...they're really good.
    I remember doing a post on here asking about them about a year ago, and a couple of people said they had side effects of bloating, although I didn't experience that.