Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Trouble quitting part time job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've had a part time job in a mini-market type shop for 18 months now but I've become really sick of it all and want to quit soon, especially with exams and the summer coming up.

Anyway my problem is that my boss is really domineering and I know it sounds stupid, but i'm finding it really hard to say I want to leave! I feel like I need a really good reason, certainly one better than it's the summer!

So has anyone been in this kind of situation or have any tips?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Write a letter of resignation. You don't really need to give a reason but if you feel obliged to, just say that you need to concentrate on your exams.
    Originally posted by KinkyRed
    Write a letter of resignation.

My job isn't as formal as that since it's just an independent shop. In fact none of the part time workers have contracts or anything like that and we're paid in cash every week with nothing written down. i don't know if it's illegal or what but it's dodgy anyway.

Yeh so I'm just gonna bite the bullet sometime this week and tell my boss.

I'm scared!! :nervous:
    I was in that position. I blames it on exam pressure, in a letter so it wasnt so hard to give to them.

Good Luck
    :)
    I walked out of my weekend job the other day not adviseable to do so but I feel better for doing so.
    How about you just don't turn up for waork one day? Like you said, you don't have a contract and you get paid in cash. I bet you don't get a wage slip either? That will be the big indicator of whether you are working illegally.

If you decide to tell your boss and he is an arse about it, consider shopping him to the inland revenue!
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    How about you just don't turn up for waork one day? Like you said, you don't have a contract and you get paid in cash. I bet you don't get a wage slip either? That will be the big indicator of whether you are working illegally.

If you decide to tell your boss and he is an arse about it, consider shopping him to the inland revenue!

Yeh you're right, no pay slip except for a couple of time when i started, now it's just a bit of receipt paper with my name on it. I am supposed to be taxed even though i'm still in school, 17 years old and in part time employment? I just assumed I wasn't!
    Well i quit my job this morning and it all went rather well, just slipped my boss an old speil about exams and travelling europe afterwards so i'd be too busy!

I've got some money saved so for a while at least now i can RELAX!:D
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Yeh you're right, no pay slip except for a couple of time when i started, now it's just a bit of receipt paper with my name on it. I am supposed to be taxed even though i'm still in school, 17 years old and in part time employment? I just assumed I wasn't!
    Contrary to popular belief everyone gets taxed if they work. Everyone has a tax free amount (mine is about 4k) and after that you will be taxed, even if you are a student. Students just assume that they don't get taxed because they don't earn enough in a year to be taxed!

Regardless of whether you are taxed you need a payslip, I get one and I don't pay tax right now either.

And well done for leaving. Seems like it wasn't as hard as you thought! :D
    Originally posted by jacaranda
    I walked out of my weekend job the other day not adviseable to do so but I feel better for doing so.

That wasn't a really good idea you know. You may feel good now but you may need a reference from them in the future and as you didn't work your notice. Also, its not nice for the other workers. I work in a busy cafe where we all have to work as a team. We'd all be fairly upset if someone just walked out before someone new took their place.
    Write a letter, giving 2 weeks notice (if you can) and ask for a letter reference. Its easier said than done if you feel that you are letting your employer down. 2 weeks may seem like a long time, it might feel awkward but it will give your boss enough time to find someone else and ultimately get you a better reference