Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

The " "

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
There are so many bands these days called THE "something or other" ......This I guess (I KNOW) comes from such great bands as The Seeds, The Sonics..those great American bands from the sixties. They are all trying to emulate this kind of style but few of them seem to be able to pull it off.

Is this the best musical period ever or just another scene (She asks in carrie bradshaw styleeee)?

I remeber the shoe gazing thing....oh the glory days...have I had a wee bit too much wine! BLLLEEERRRGGGHHH
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Its just a name. Surely a band should be judged on its music instead of whether it has the word "The" in its title.
  • Options
    Strangely enough I has also noticed an increase in the number of "the" bands and I have to say I don't really like them. They mostly play indie rock and it isn't my thing at all.
  • Options
    The 'The' bands generally do suck ass. Look at 'the hives', 'the white stripes' 'the strokes'. The Strokes have to be one of the worst bands on the planet. There are exections though, such as 'The Beatles'
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShInE
    The 'The' bands generally do suck ass. Look at 'the hives', 'the white stripes' 'the strokes'. The Strokes have to be one of the worst bands on the planet. There are exections though, such as 'The Beatles'

Yes.

Oh, and the Wildhearts are good.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    Yes.

Oh, and the Wildhearts are good.
    :yes: they are good!
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShInE

generally they're cheap manufactured and catchy, which is why they're popular, personally I prefer bands with original names *shouldn't mention evanescence* :p
  • Options
    Thats from the Sum 41 video where they take the piss outta "the" bands.

The red hot chilli peppers 0wn u all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    generally they're cheap manufactured and catchy, which is why they're popular, personally I prefer bands with original names *shouldn't mention evanescence* :p

How exactly are The Vines, The Stokes, The White Stripes, The Music, The Coral.... etc etc, manufactured? :rolleyes: I would also like to add that none of those bands have particularly catchy songs.

I don't really care what a band is called, I care more about their music. There have always been "the" bands, like The Beatles, The RHCP, The Wildhearts, The Ataris.... who are good and decent, but I think Byny is referring to this new wave of them, like those mentioned above. They all play a similar type of thing and they've all recently appeared as if from nowhere!
  • Options
    Let me rephrase, they often sound manufactured, i.e. not that original.
  • Options
    The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Charlatans.

I can't see the problem :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sanj33v

The red hot chilli peppers 0wn u all.

:yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cheezie Grin
    The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Charlatans.

I can't see the problem :confused:
    Once again:
    I think Byny is referring to this new wave of them, like those mentioned above. They all play a similar type of thing and they've all recently appeared as if from nowhere!
    they often sound manufactured, i.e. not that original.
    Manufactured bands can be original and original bands can be manufactured.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    How exactly are The Vines, The Stokes, The White Stripes, The Music, The Coral.... etc etc, manufactured? :rolleyes: I would also like to add that none of those bands have particularly catchy songs.

Except that Dreaming of You song by The Coral, which got stuck in my head for weeks and weeks and weeks.

How annoying.
  • Options
    Re: The " "
    Originally posted by byny
    This I guess (I KNOW) comes from such great bands as The Seeds, The Sonics..those great American bands from the sixties.

The who ??????????

hehehe me being silly again :lol:
  • Options
    Re: Re: The " "
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    The who ??????????

hehehe me being silly again :lol:

lmao. nice play on words there becky
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: The " "
    Originally posted by Dreamer3k
    lmao. nice play on words there becky

LOL Im in daft mode today, im just pleased someone got what I was saying :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Except that Dreaming of You song by The Coral, which got stuck in my head for weeks and weeks and weeks.

Yeah that song was stuck in my head too. And now it is again! Thanks Bri! :eek2:
  • Options
    Yeah - I'm not dissing the 'the' bands or bigging them up. I'm not refering to the red hot chilli peppers (Who have been around for years) but the bands like The strokes, The Amps, The hives etc.
    And I'm comparing them musically to the Seeds and The Sonics, good hard American Garage bands with powerful vocals and an American Punk attitude.

AND!! I would say they are largely not manufactured...AND the Beatles suck, they are but a minor blot on the musical landscape who were no where near as GREAT as people make them out to be, nor were they a music changing band...there were plenty of other more important bands about at the time.