Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Damn.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need to work full-time to save money before returning to university in September.

Last Sunday at 1000, my dad handed my application form to Wimpy, whom rang me at noon the same day to arrange an interview. This quickness suggests that they either wanted to fill the position very quickly or that I was suitable for the job or both.

The interview was set for Thursday (yesterday) at 1430.

I was well-dressed and arrived five minutes early.

The interview was short – only 5 minutes – during which the friendly lady only asked me two questions about myself, but explained a lot about the job, such as its hours, role, etc. These two questions were:

1) Do you have any hobbies that will interfere with your job?

'No – all my hobbies are done in my free time and after I have worked'

2) Do you intend to go to university?

'I was at university but I withdrew. I wish to save my money and return to university in the next couple of years.' I jokingly added: 'I hope that this won't affect my application' knowing full well that I shouldn’t have mentioned it.

In addition, I asked her a few questions in response to her explanation of the job's features.

We shook hands and said goodbye.

She phoned me last night but I was out, so she left a message on my answering machine to phone her after 0930 today.

I have just rang her and I didn't get the job. I asked her why, to which she replied: 'you don't have enough experience.' This seems strange, for I have worked with people for over two years (part-time jobs whilst at college) and she glossed over the topic at the interview, merely saying 'I see you worked in Sainsbury's, BJ's, etc.' Accordingly, I suspect that it was about my intention to return to university. But why lie about it?

I don't want sympathy, but rather to express my annoyance at myself for mentioning university and at that woman for probably lying about why I didn’t get the job.

Comments

• Options
    Saying you did not have enough experience was quite obviously an out and out lie. She should have had the decency to tell you the real reason.

I personally can't see why you would need any more experience than you have to say "Do you want fries with that?" anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I personally can't see why you would need any more experience than you have to say "Do you want fries with that?" anyway.

:lol: Very true.

She actually offered me the position of supervisor. Why on earth would someone offer me that position of seniority (third after both managers) if I wasn't experienced? Stupid idiot. lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    :lol: Very true.

She actually offered me the position of supervisor. Why on earth would someone offer me that position of seniority (third after both managers) if I wasn't experienced? Stupid idiot. lol.
    That is just further proof that she was lying!
  • Options
    I think you should ask to see copies of the interview notes she made... and a copy of their equal ops policy. If this job in particular is important you could pursue by talking to the CAB.
    and next time... I wish you better fortune
  • Options
    I suspect it was to do with the university thing, but to be fair do you blame them?

They are looking for someone permanent arent they? If they think that within years (yes i know thats a lie, but they didnt) your gonna just up sticks then they aint gonna wanna know are they? At your next interview i wouldnt bother mentioning it, then they've got no excuse to say no.
  • Options
    Yep, very true. But to lie about it - dear me. Oh well.
  • Options
    I know how that feels moby. I went for a job and i got told the same thing. Funny how i had two years previous experience:rolleyes: And also the ad in the paper said that experience was not necessary!:rolleyes:

Silly job interviewer people! grr
  • Options
    Right, I am :mad: now! I have just seen an ad that is advertising the job for which I applied, in which it was stated that 'no previous experience is needed.' It's time to do some research, me thinks.
  • Options
    maybe its just cos you suck shit :)

no offence jeff :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I would write to their head office and ask for a real reason!! They should be honest with you at all times.

You could even get someone else to ring up and talk to the lady and ask if experience is needed!!