Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Braveheart

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I think that Braveheart is a very good film, because it's well-acted throughout, realistic and moving, the latter particularly evident when Wallace's wife was killed and when we was killed himself.

What do you think of it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I fell asleep during it last night.

I still don't think I've seen it all the way through :o
  • Options
    Originally posted by Brian Kitten

Dear me! It's watching again. And again. And again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite

I haven't watched it all either but i've seen the first half hour or so many times, i just get so bored by it all! Possibly because i think mel gibson is a tosser but generally it's a cheesy long winded affair!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    it's a cheesy long winded affair!

That's not fair, seeing you've only ever watched the first half hour! It's like watching the first half of football and deciding that a game is crap. You really should watch it all before making a decision about its goodness.
  • Options
    My uncle was in Braveheart :D

Very random comment for ya.
  • Options
    I find it quite tedious to be honest. I wouldn't mind so much if it was historically acurrate ;)

It is well acted and well directed, but it isn't "my kind" of film. Films that are based on true events are rarely based entirely in truth but made up to suit the cinema going public.
  • Options
    The battle scenes are excellent, but the film as a whole pisses me off.

Your supposed to be cheering on Wallace right? Well I can't- not because I'm a patriotic Englishman or anything, but because hes an absolute idiot.

I mean what in reality is he fighting for? Basically so that some rich Scottish fucks can rule over the peasants instead of Rich English fucks. And for this he leads thousands of men to their deaths, kills thousands of men, and dies a horrific death himself :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by carlito
    I mean what in reality is he fighting for? Basically so that some rich Scottish fucks can rule over the peasants instead of Rich English fucks. And for this he leads thousands of men to their deaths, kills thousands of men, and dies a horrific death himself

He wanted freedom – in the form of a separate country – for Scotland and its citizens. Yes, this might have meant that nobles would have ruled the people, but I suspect that – based upon his dislike for them and their lack of courage and suchlike – some other form of leadership would have existed. I don't know what, though.

I think that it is certainly a good film.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    He wanted freedom – in the form of a separate country – for Scotland and its citizens. Yes, this might have meant that nobles would have ruled the people, but I suspect that – based upon his dislike for them and their lack of courage and suchlike – some other form of leadership would have existed. I don't know what, though.

It's an excellent film!!!!! :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShInE
    It's an excellent film!!!!! :yes:

ditto
  • Options
    Originally posted by carlito
    Your supposed to be cheering on Wallace right? Well I can't- not because I'm a patriotic Englishman or anything,

Well I can't because I am a patriotic Englishman. Wallace was a traitor. Freedom my arse...
  • Options
    Mel Gibson likes to piss on history , look at 'The Patriot'.

Braveheart is a crap film , if you want historical battle films watch Spartacus or Gladiator
  • Options

YEah I know he wanted Scottish independence, but what is that?

Its some stupid random virtual abstract ideal, not a thing that actually affects the real people there.

They'd still be ruled by rich nobles, still wade around in shit, still have no food to eat, still get pissed on by people who were more powerful.

All Wallace did was make a couple of thousand people die so that one situation could be replaced by one exactly the same, except that they were wading around in "Scottish owned" shit rather than "English owned" shit, its the same shit.

So well done Wallace, you get my "pointless historical figure of the millenium" award!
  • Options
    That's not fair, seeing you've only ever watched the first half hour! It's like watching the first half of football and deciding that a game is crap. You really should watch it all before making a decision about its goodness.

Firstly, its historical bollocks, secondly, the actings bolocks (those accents!), thirdly, its too long, fourthly, a french princess and a commoner? bollocks, fifthly, a crowd chanting for a condemned man? Bollocks, sixthly, Robert the Bruce, in legue with the english? Bollocks. Lastly, it has an almost identical story to The Patriot, Mel gibson does NOT like english ppl. Its absolute PANTS!
  • Options
    I think it's a good film. :blush::)
  • Options
    Braveheart, or parts of it, were set in Stirling :D

It might be historically inaccurate (well, it definitly is) but I still liked it. Does go on a bit tho, but nevertheless still good...
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Braveheart is a crap film , if you want historical battle films watch Spartacus or Gladiator

Errr, you do realise that Gladiator was a work of fiction, cobbled together out of a lot of smaller incidents in Roman history, right? Spartacus was more historical -- but probably to the same extent as Braveheart (we know surprisingly little about both Sprtacus' and Wallace's rebellions and the men themselves).
  • Options
    Yeah , Gladiator was fiction , but its a far better film than Braveheart.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Yeah , Gladiator was fiction , but its a far better film than Braveheart.

True, becauser it doesn't pretend to be truth.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    becauser it doesn't pretend to be truth.

Surely it's not about pretending to be the truth, but rather a viewer's perception of it?
  • Options
    Surely it's not about pretending to be the truth, but rather a viewer's perception of it?

Which is presented as truth; theres no disclaimer at the end that says 'this a fictional story, any relations to actual events are purely coincidental' is there?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    Which is presented as truth; theres no disclaimer at the end that says 'this a fictional story, any relations to actual events are purely coincidental' is there?

Is there a disclaimer at the end that states 'this a factual story'? No, so it's a question of interpretation, peception and the use of common sense.
  • Options
    Is there a disclaimer at the end that states 'this a factual story'? No, so it's a question of interpretation, peception and the use of common sense.

(was being slghtly tongue in cheek)

Yeah, i agree entirely with you but the thing is that certain people take the cinema as truth and with films like Braveheart that ain't good..
  • Options
    I love it :D
  • Options
    Braveheart is an excellent film, so what if its historical incorrect,its still a great film.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun2002
    Braveheart is an excellent film, so what if its historical incorrect,its still a great film.
    I refer you to what i said before;
    the thing is that certain people take the cinema as truth and with films like Braveheart that ain't good..