Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

I my life really that bad?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm just about to leave school, I actually only have one more full day- tomorrow. So I'm feeling a little depressed that I might lose some of my good friends, but I'm also anxious about meeting new ones.

Anyway, my problem is that I can't talk to any girls, whether I've known them for years or not, basically I'm just severely shy. I know it might sound like a minor thing, and it might happen to everyone at some point, but still. I was looking for some advice as to how I can approach my problem.

Can someone suggest what I could do?

PS. I have no trouble talking to girls on the internet, it's just a problem in person.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    alright boss. how old are ya leavin school, 18?

do you goto an all boys school perchance? when i was younger i went to mixed schools and had loads of girl mates and thought nothing of it. then when i went to a lame, LAME all boys school from 13-16 it really screwed my confidence up with girls, proper annoying like. i found it hard to chat to 'em. then, thank god i went to college and back to some normality. found it easy getting back into the swing.

if u wanna get on with girls better, just make some girl mates, best way to do this is by joining a club thats gonna be predominantely girl based like swimming or something i dunno. or go out on the pull, but trying ot get the girls as mates instead!
  • Options
    You're 16, yes?
    Well I'm a young one, I'll be 16 this July.
    Is is just talking, or do you loathe to make eye contact, too?
    There's that also, I hate making eye contact with anyone for very long, I just find it uncomfortable.
    Are you off to college? Or leaving education forever.
    I'm off to college, and probably university after that, but that's planning a bit far ahead.
  • Options
  • Options
    I wouldnt worry about it mate, I left school amost 4 years ago now ive been to college and am now a mechanic. Most of my best friends are from my school days so dont worry. U make new friends at college to. Great fun is college u'll love it.

Just take ur time with girls dont force your self to meet a girl as every ones doing it. I am very very shy and find it har talking to anyone let alone girls.

You'll meet plenty at college just stick with the lads and the ladies will follow. :D:D:D:D

Plus be carefull out there and dont rush your self. Take your time nothings worth putting pressure on your self. :D
  • Options
    I agree with bad seed about the halls thing, the night I moved into halls I was shy as fuck, but after about 3 weeks I was a different person- going clubbing/drinking literally everynight, chatting to everyone, meeting loads of new people etc.

Just try to make a fresh start at college, these people dont know you, so you have a chance to start with a clean slate, and any personality that you want :)
  • Options
    Ye I agree with the lads there-
    They have no prior image of you- first impressions are lasting so make the efort even if its just hello. You sound like all you need is a confidenec builder work on something your good at and work from there trust me you'll be surprised- just dont worry and take the attitude of fuck it shit happens and no reggrets!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, this has helped me a lot. I'll try to make a good impression on the new people I meet. Hopefully I'll get some really good friends in college. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Have you seen the film "Catch me if you can"? If you haven't then watch it because the character Leo Di Caprio plays uses his confidence to chat up plenty of women to his advantage. Basically, if you appear sure of yourself, you'll be very appealing.