Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Iw2ba Soc. Worker

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have read a thread about Social Workers I am 15 and for 2 months i have wanted to be one. I would like u to know thAT i was brought up in a stable, respectable environment with a hard working mother and loving family while the street opposite was filled with junkies ansd Social Workers doing their damn best to take their kids off them DAMN RIGHT if they abuse and dont look after their kids. I know most of you hate them but IF i dont change my mind and decide to be a ssocial worker then i wwill do my damn best to be fair and good and hardworking to help the folk who need it.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Did you have a question about the profession?
    Yes I do

I want to know the salary of Social Workers and what qualifications you need to be one:confused:
    Look here
    I will hopefully be starting a social work degree in Sep 2004.

http://www.socialworkcareers.co.uk
    http://www.gscc.org.uk

Try these two sites.

Buy The Guardian on Wednesays as they have a Social Supplement with lots of adverts for jobs etc. You can therefore have a look to see what the average wages are.

I think you should reexamine your attitudes to some people though. You need to actually care about helping the people who need it rather than protect the community as a whole from the people you deem undesirable.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I think you should reexamine your attitudes to some people though. You need to actually care about helping the people who need it rather than protect the community as a whole from the people you deem undesirable.

Excellent point.
    Re: Iw2ba Soc. Worker
    Originally posted by gagad
    I have read a thread about Social Workers I am 15 and for 2 months i have wanted to be one. I would like u to know thAT i was brought up in a stable, respectable environment with a hard working mother and loving family while the street opposite was filled with junkies ansd Social Workers doing their damn best to take their kids off them DAMN RIGHT if they abuse and dont look after their kids. I know most of you hate them but IF i dont change my mind and decide to be a ssocial worker then i wwill do my damn best to be fair and good and hardworking to help the folk who need it.

You don't say what kind of social worker you want to be??

My mum started out in child protection but its not all 'taking kids away' its also helping vunerable parents do the best for their kids while keeping the family together, its about making sure people get the right benefits, arranging adoptions, helping adopted people find their birth parents!

My mum now works with the elderly, helping them stay in their own homes, helping their families, arranging meals on wheels etc.

You could also work with the mentally disturbed or disabled or prisoners, or refugees, or people who have been imprisoned wrongly.

Unfortunately there still is a perception that social worker = child stealer and thats wrong. Its also wrong to assume that people who have problems with drugs or depression will never be able to have their kids living with them.

The pay is OK, but the emotional burden can be difficult. And yes..I agree with the other replies - re-think your reasons for wanting to do it! you need to have some compassion too!!!
    Thanks

Thanks all of u.
    I didnt really mean it that way.
    I do want to help people.
    Thanks again.
    gagad;)
    OH YEAH

Byny, I dont mean to be rude but how experianced did your mum need to be and how much did she or does she get?