Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

christenings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I went to one this afternoon. It was my cousin's, he is nearly four years old. God knows why they had him christened, they said that they never would after they were bullied into having their first son christened. But anyway, they did. My mum and dad got bullied into having me and my brother christened too. Were youy christened? Do you still carry the religion with you, or do you wish you were never christened in the first place?

Another thing that pissed me off was the fact that we (my brother and I), weren't even allowed to take our partners to this christening. Fair enough if she wanted it 'family (ands their friends) only, but I've been with my partner for two years now, and he is family. Just annoyed me thats all. And then i got the cold bloody shoulder from my nan for not singing the praise of god in church... when she knows damn well im an aethiest. I stood up and showed respect and all that, and didnt even say anything about it, but she has to notice when im not 'praising the lord'. And she has to make a big deal about it to.

Comments

• Options
    Fuck off was i christened!

Me ma wouldnt be seen dead in a church. Shes veeery athiest or however you spell it.
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    I was christened but it wasn't really for religious reasons more the fact that everyone could come and look at me and have a bit of a do. Maybe a little bit was taking out a kind of "religious insurance" in case there is a God. Eighteen years later and I believe in God just not in religion or going to church or anything like that as long as you're basically a good person you'll go to heaven is what I believe.
  • Options
    Yeah, they watered my head, too.

I think it pissed me off somewhat.
  • Options
    it was so weird, it was like watching some strange lady washing his hair for him, he's four years old and they made him stand on a bible in order for him to stick his head in that pool thing. I dunno, seems like the sort of thing that only babies should have to them. Just strange to watch i guess.
  • Options
    Yeah, they watered my head, too.

I think it pissed me off somewhat.

lol ditto.
  • Options
    what christening? is it like baptizing or something?
  • Options
    yeh its just another word for a baptism.
  • Options
    oh, well in that case, i've been it, as has my whole family, but i was like zero years old and didn't really have a say in it.
  • Options
    but do you consider to be religious yourself? Like, could you get your kids christened?
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing
    but do you consider to be religious yourself? Like, could you get your kids christened?

I'm not religious. I'm loosing faith - every day it dissapears more and more. I'd never christen a baby. We should be allowed to choose.
  • Options
    no, not at all, after years of bitching i managed to get myself out of being confirmed. while everybody else in my family is religious, they still drag me to chruch every so often. i'd only get my children chiristened if their daddy really wanted them to be.
  • Options
    I was Christened and I got my wee boy christened, but I am completely unreligious, although I beleive in "something" I just don't practise.

My reason for getting him Christened were...

1. The family expected it as the norm (althought there was absolutely no pressure)

2. The thought of anything happening to him and him not being allowed into Heaven freaked me out.

3. In Glasgow, a Christening is really all about the wetting his head AFTER the ceremony!
  • Options
    I wish i was never christened :(
  • Options
    hmmm. interesting varied answers!

yeh i agree with rise and shine, i wish i wasnt christened, although in a way, its nice to know thatif ever i changed my mind about something, or as luvedup said - if something happened, id be 'sorted' so to speak. But i dont personally believe in all the 'god' and 'jesus' stuff. but i suppose its each to their own.
  • Options
    i think some people use it as a 'just in case' thing too though. they hear so much shit about all these religions so the affilate themselves with one or the other just in case they do really exist then when they are dead they've at least got a chance for something...
  • Options
    I wasn't christened, nor were my brother and sister.

We're not Religious.

However, If someone asked me to go to their childs christening I'd go because they wanted me to. You have to support peoples choices (fair enough the kid doesn't have the choice but he/she will have a choice about their beliefs later).

If you are that much of an athiest perhaps you shouldn't have gone?

People who shout down other peoples religious choice are as bad as those who try to force their religion on other people as far as I'm concerned.

I do think christening is odd but If other people make that choice its entirely up to them.
  • Options
    yeh im not sure i could do that. My Jaz wasn't christened, simply because im an aethiest and i feel like a hypocrit even standing in a church for someone else's christening, although i know im not. I wouldnt get married in a church either.
  • Options
    oh no, im not trying to say that im like a massive 'anti-christ' or anything, and i would go to someone's christening or wedding if they asked me, simply because of that, as you say. Im not 'that much of an aethiest' that i would miss my own cousion's christening.

edited cuz my italics didnt work
  • Options
    I got baptised, as did my whole family. I still believe in God, and I've done all the necessary sacrements for my age including being confirmed. I think it's a lovely idea, and I'd like to get my children christened too in case they die as infants.
  • Options
    do some people really think that a just God wouldnt let an unchristened baby into heaven????
  • Options
    You know what really annoys me...People who never go to church, aren't remotely religious and then all of a sudden they are getting married in a church, having their kids Christened Etc. I guess thats what you were really getting at?

My friend married recently and she had her two kids (Born out of wedlock - SHOCK HORROR) as pageboys and yet she didn't tell the vicar that they were her children incase he wouldn't marry them!! Now that sucks! Still went to the wedding cos I was a bridesmaid!! :) (The oldest bloody bridesmaid in the world!!)